Someguy123 is offline Member

Back in after 9yrs, Trainer advice??

Well I havent competed since 2002, and I decided I am going to do a show again next year. In my competition years, I did all my own dieting, training, supplementation, etc. But this time around, I really dont want to think about anything. And just let an experienced trainer tell me what to do. Workouts, diet, cycles, pre-contest prep, etc.

I was considering using Dave Palumbo, he has all the knowledge and experience I think I would need in a trainer. And he has a decent rate for an entire year of training and consultation. My only concern, is that he might be very busy, due to his name. And Im not sure he would have the right time to dedicate, that Im looking for.

Any comments or advice, from the rest of you guys that compete?? I tried to use a trainer one year, who was very well known for training all the champions here in Alberta. And it turns out they didnt have a clue what they were doing. Their cookie cutter diet, worked great for naturally fat guys. But for someone lean like me, they dieted off so much muscle weight in the first 2 weeks, I had to stop their diet, and pull out of the show that year. So this is why I am more drawn to a big time trainer with experience in all sorts of different body types.

Someguy123 is offline Member
    gee, not much traffic in this forum.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    contact Nark

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Therea are far too many trainers that use the cookie cutter aproach...i know at least few names here in Canada that do taht adn unless you are a true contnder for top 3 at the nationals you will always receive the same plan as the next guy...choose wisely...good luck...XXL

GetSwole83 is offline Associate Member
    Being a trainer for a while now I can tell you one great area of advice....sit down and interview them.....ASK them if they have a degree in an exercise related field?....have they themselves competed? Have they ever trained a person much like yourself? Also you gotta be able to get a long with your trainer to a degree....respect him or her for their knowledge and guidance as well as at times...there steadfastness. At least this is what I try to tell my clients. When in doubt go with your gut. Anyway enough preaching. Good luck to you!

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I think a gegree means nothing in show / competition prep, no offens to all people with degrees but prep is not something tought in school...now school of hard knocks of bodybuilding will teach you lots...my 0.02 cents...XXL

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Personally I would never hire an online trainer. While guys like Nark have proven to do a very good job at it, nothing can replace actually being there in person to help. You can only get so much from photographs and written communication. Personally I need to see the person, I need to see what happens when they go from relaxed to flexed, I need to pinch their skin and look for subtle changes that are not always evident from still shot photos. Posing critique should be another area your trainer should be working with you on which again should really be done in person.

Thread Information