demetri is offline Member

Question Cutting water for fitness comp

I have a friend that's going to be entering her first fitness competition in a week. I was wondering what strategies other fitness competitors use for cutting their water.

She was told that she should taper down her water starting on Monday up to the show. I've done this and for bodybuilding it bites. I'm not sure about a fitness show. All I know is that she shouldn't get bone dry.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I would deffinitely not start cutting water on monday, my wife is a national level fitness competitor, so i will tell you what we have done in the past:
    Option 1. Starting friday at 1:00pm drink half of what she pees out untill 5:00pm and then cut it down to just sips.
    Option 2. Cut the water out at 5:00pm on friday

Upto the point of cutting water, i recomend drinking as much as one can of mineral water, i will get her to use some diuretics but very little, Dyazide is what i preffer she would take 12.5mg - 25mg 1 hour before cutting the water (it take 1 hour before Dyazide starts working and works for about 8 hours) then if i feel she could use a little bit mmore before bed then she will repeat the dose again. She also carb depletes and then carb load on thursday (1/2 day) and friday till about 6:00pm.

I hope that helps a bit...XXL

PS. Long time no see on the board Bro...

demetri is offline Member
    Thanks a bunch for the reply Mike. I'll let her know what you reccomend. I'm not sure if she'll go for the diuretics, she was reluctant to even try ephedrine.

Your wifes plan sounds much better than tapering water down.

Good to be back on the board I was traveling a bit for work and then I took off to Europe for a month. I'm just starting to get back into the swing of things at the gym.

BIG R is offline Member
    I think that you are right on that fitness competitors should not cut out too much of thier water. If they are real deal gymnasts then it would mess with thier flexability for the routene. I'd got with the taper water off naturally. Just get her in some very low BF so she looks great physique-wise. I am think that us BB'ers have it much easier we just have to pose not do tricks like fly in the air! I'm lucky to pull of a lunge with out passing out from the pain of a cramping muscle. My .02 cents

Big R

Thread Information