Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Competitor

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

New Competitor

I will be meeting with a couple coaches this week, and narrowing down to one for an upcoming competition this winter. It will be my first competition, and I have many questions. Some i'll save for the coach, and other questions id like to ask here.

I know that any competitions with the word natural in them have testing done. Does this mean competitors still do not use gear, or that they stop using at a point to make the tests come back negative?
    Am I automatically at a disadvantage since im 6ft 2in? Ive read numerous threads and articles that say shorter bodybuilders have an advantage in several different fields.
    How do you pick your weight class? I kinda feel like im too big to cut to one weight class, but not big enough to make the one weight class higher up. Is it like fighting where you basically want to weight in at the max weight allowed for that class, but with the least amount of fat possible?

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by DHew View Post
    I will be meeting with a couple coaches this week, and narrowing down to one for an upcoming competition this winter. It will be my first competition, and I have many questions. Some i'll save for the coach, and other questions id like to ask here.

I know that any competitions with the word natural in them have testing done. Does this mean competitors still do not use gear, or that they stop using at a point to make the tests come back negative?
    Am I automatically at a disadvantage since im 6ft 2in? Ive read numerous threads and articles that say shorter bodybuilders have an advantage in several different fields.
    How do you pick your weight class? I kinda feel like im too big to cut to one weight class, but not big enough to make the one weight class higher up. Is it like fighting where you basically want to weight in at the max weight allowed for that class, but with the least amount of fat possible?
    BB'ing or physique? Well as far as BB'ing being taller is a disadvantage unless your 300+lbs. But you need to ask yourself this, are doing it to win or set a goal for yourself to achieve and have fun? Winning is very hard, especially if your just starting. But if you want to compete to accomplish it and get on stage, then who cares, do your best and learn. Just about every time you compete theres going to be somebody that is farther ahead of you and looks better. Just give it 100% and dont worry about anything else, thats all you have control. Its fun, enjoy.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Blog Entries
    It's a goal for now. Maybe after the first one ill go for a win, who knows.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHew
    It's a goal for now. Maybe after the first one ill go for a win, who knows.
    Trust me you will always go for the win. The difference is the amount of disappointment if you do not win. Im to the point that i definitely want to win however if i come in last place, I still feel that I have won because of the improve,entz from the previous year.

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member

1. Picking a weight class: You've never competed before, and while you may have a weight class in mind, you could easily be wrong. Most people have far more to lose than they realise. I'm not saying most are fatter than they think, not in traditional "he's fat" terms, but they are fatter than they think in bodybuilding terms. Advice, worry about how you look and do not worry about what you weigh. Conditioning wins shows, not size.

2. Height is not a disadvantage. There are a lot of really great bodybuilders that have been short or at best not all that tall, but there have been just as many that are 6 feet tall or more, some are/were better bodybuilders than others but all were sucessful (success relative to the individual) in the sport.

Günter Schlierkamp
    Arnold Schwarzenegger (this is the only one I doubt is as tall as is always stated)
    Tony Freeman
    Lou Ferrigno
    Paul Dillet
    Evan Centopani
    Quincy Taylor
    Kevin Levrone & Ronnie Coleman (didn't make 6 feet (both 5'11" but they're my favorites and taller than many bb's)
    +many more but I'm ready to move to #3

Kevin Levrone & Ronnie Coleman (didn't make 6 feet (both 5'11" but they're my favorites and taller than many bb's)

3. Natural organizations: yes, that means testing in many cases. This may include blood, urine or both as well as a polygraph. Testing has become harder to beat but by no means impossible. But if you're going to use gear don't compete in a natural organization and the problem is solved. I have no problem with guys using gear to compete, it's not cheating unless you're in a league that prohibits it.

4. Winning: From your other post - always go in to win, otherwise there's no point. Striving for a win will push you harder. No, that doesn't mean you're going to win but if you don't have that mindset you won't do as well. I promise you, whether they admit it or not, most are going in with the mindset to win, even those that realistically have a slim chance. That's not a disparaging comment at all, it's an encouragement to have the right attitude about your prep. Give it everything you have. You may do it once and that's enough, if so great or you may want more, but regardless you gave it all you had and can't look back and say what if?

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    BB'ing or physique? Well as far as BB'ing being taller is a disadvantage unless your 300+lbs. But you need to ask yourself this, are doing it to win or set a goal for yourself to achieve and have fun? Winning is very hard, especially if your just starting. But if you want to compete to accomplish it and get on stage, then who cares, do your best and learn. Just about every time you compete theres going to be somebody that is farther ahead of you and looks better. Just give it 100% and dont worry about anything else, thats all you have control. Its fun, enjoy.
    I think you just discovered my problem, lol!

Blog Entries
    Good replies, thanks a lot!

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I love the fact that you're doing homework on a coach. Great, great move. The good coaches are worth their weight in gold. My coach is a gift from God.

NPC shows aren't tested, at least I've never been tested. People go to an NFL game to see touchdowns not field goals, get it?

As you get closer to the show you (and your coach) will decide on a weight class. Start with an idea on weight class and as you go through your prep you'll be able to determine weight class.

(That's if you a BB'er. Physique and Classic Physique is based on height and age, not weight)

As for height, there is no impact. Regardles you can't get taller or shorter now so don't stress over it.

Unless you're competing in the Olypmia, or the Arnold, winning is a VERY subjective term. You win by bringing your best to the stage, you can't control who will show up on that day or what the judges like that day.....I'll give you an example;

My 1st show I finishd 2nd in Master's. There were 3 guys! I wasn't 2nd, it was a weak class and the guy in 3rd was a disaster who shouldn't have been competing that day....BIG DEAL.

My next 2 shows I was 4th both times but brought a better package to the stage each time against a STACKED class BOTH times.

For that reason, I WON.

It's not about the trophy. Never will be.

Find a good coach, bust your ass, and enjoy the show on that day.
    Livinlean likes this.

Blog Entries
    Well put scorpiob

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm about a month in with this new coach. I weighed in at 240lbs, 6ft 2in, 19% bf. He's saying we'll plan on a spring amateur event. He's having me change up everything. I don't lift heavy at all, and we do all high reps. Slow and controlled. He says in bodybuilding no one gives a shit what you lift, just how you look.

Well, I'm about a month in with this new coach. I weighed in at 240lbs, 6ft 2in, 19% bf. He's saying we'll plan on a spring amateur event. He's having me change up everything. I don't lift heavy at all, and we do all high reps. Slow and controlled. He says in bodybuilding no one gives a shit what you lift, just how you look.
    Stickie......

Blog Entries
    Arms just measured in at 18 1/4", and not after a workout. This is a huge personal milestone for me.
    NACH3 and songdog like this.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Well done

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Post up some pics

Blog Entries
    Well, I think Im going to need a nutritionist to help with all the elements of dieting and pre contest work. Before the forum ninjas point out the obvious (this board has all of that information), Id like to point out that im hiring one because I dont want to do that work. I want to be told what to do, when to do it, and how, and ill execute. Ill post some pics soon, Cuz.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by DHew; 01-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Height is definately a problem in bbing. Im 6 2 as well and could never bring my legs up to my upper i might have a little bit more but not enough to ever go far. Its looks like you have a good starting base. Good luck

Well, I think Im going to need a nutritionist to help with all the elements of dieting and pre contest work. Before the forum ninjas point out the obvious (this board has all of that information), Id like to point out that im hiring one because I dont want to do that work. I want to be told what to do, when to do it, and how, and ill execute. Ill post some pics soon, Cuz.
    Don't let the ignorance of people get to you. You need a root canal, you go to a dentist. You need a transmission, you go to a mechanic.

Nutrition is the same animal.

Blog Entries
    Well I'm basically unexpectedly taking the week off. I had 2 days rest, but flew on vacation. Dad wants to drive 5 hours away and go car shopping, which means I'll be at the mercy of the hotel crap. I might just take the rest of the week off, maybe do 1hr of cardio each day til I return if there are at least cardio machines at our hotel. Kinda bummed

Blog Entries
    I managed to not miss a workout day somehow while on this vacay. I also found a nice company I will be using to help with pre contest prep/dieting. They also are taking measurements of most bodyparts, and running ratios to make sure that all bodyparts offer the best look as appealing as possible.

Blog Entries
    I need some advice. How many weeks out should I start a test, primo, and var cycle?

I'll lay it out so you can get a better idea...
    1-18 test e 600mg ew
    6-18 primo 800mg ew
    14-18 var 70mg ed
    I have tons of ADEX left over from my TRT protocol ill use.
    Last edited by DHew; 10-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Edit: Consolidated
    Last edited by DHew; 10-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Now 236lbs @12.87 percent bf. I've been using the 9 site caliper test.
    I'll be starting my precontest cycle now:

Weeks 1-18 T400 800mg per week
    Weeks 5-18 Primo 800 mg per week
    Weeks 15-18 Anavar 50-70mg per week
    Anastrazole .5mg eod
    Last edited by DHew; 11-07-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Diet I've been running...
    Meal 1: 10 egg whites, 1 1/2 serving of grits
    Meal 2: one myo original shake
    Meal 3-5: 7-8oz lean meat, 8oz starch, 8oz veggies
    Meal 6: Usually same as meals 3-5, but I'll whip some some kinda recipe sometimes

Blog Entries
    Swapped to 800mg per week of just enth. My body hates EO.

Blog Entries
    Been about a month since the last update...

230lbs
    sitting at about 11%bf
    The weight loss has slowed down significantly, so im gonna start to lower carb intake. I increased cardio to 30min sessions post workout now. I notice some veins really starting to pop out, especially on my traps when I flex. It looks fucking weird. It's the first time ive been like this body composition before, and my wife keeps saying "all you do is look at yourself in the mirror now." I tell her, its hard to explain, but all this dieting and strict stuff is starting to pay off and I can actually see it for the first time. Its a great feeling.
    BRUTAL and Livinlean like this.

Been about a month since the last update... 230lbs sitting at about 11%bf The weight loss has slowed down significantly, so im gonna start to lower carb intake. I increased cardio to 30min sessions post workout now. I notice some veins really starting to pop out, especially on my traps when I flex. It looks fucking weird. It's the first time ive been like this body composition before, and my wife keeps saying "all you do is look at yourself in the mirror now." I tell her, its hard to explain, but all this dieting and strict stuff is starting to pay off and I can actually see it for the first time. Its a great feeling.
    You may also want to change the lean meat for chicken breast or tilapia.

Blog Entries
    I eat turkey breast or chicken breast. I'll eat sushi if I go out

I lost track of how far out you are. It sounds like you have everything dialed in. Have you considered using tren and winnie during cutting to preserve muscle?

Blog Entries
    Not going to try tren this go around, I'll consider low doses next time. I'll be using winny for the last 4 to 5 weeks

Blog Entries
    Updated pics. Veins starting to pop out, esp in the upper chest/neck area.
    Last edited by DHew; 01-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Jonbana is offline Member
    you have proportion problems ...

legs to small , arms are to big compared to your shoulders no definition and seems like you have no back width at all

Blog Entries
    Actually, proportionally arms calves and neck measure the same, which is what you want in competitions. You dont know this, because you do not compete. My legs measure in at 28 inches circum, which is just fine for my category.

Jonbana strikes again!

Blog Entries
    First day back in the gym m since the 23rd. Body needed the rest anyway. But what I did not need is the shit food I forced into my body. Honey baked ham, mmmmmm

First day back in the gym m since the 23rd. Body needed the rest anyway. But what I did not need is the shit food I forced into my body. Honey baked ham, mmmmmm
    When's your competition?

Blog Entries
    March 11

Blog Entries
    Mid cycle blood work:
    Testosterone Serum: >1500 HIGH
    Estradiol: 20.2 normal
    HDL cholesterol: 18 LOW
    LDL: 94 normal
    Total Cholesterol: 124
    LDL:HDL ratio is 5.2 HIGH

Anything alarming you guys see here?

iiDaxter is offline New Member
    Awesome forum. I'll be moving to Las Vegas in a few weeks. I have a few questions for you guys if you're willing to answer.

1. How do I find a good reliable coach?

2. Will the coach be the one who decides what class, etc I should compete in?

3. Competing at 17 years old?

Blog Entries
    Finding a reliable coach can be tough from my experience. Search online, ask around in the gym, and see what happens. You should decide what you want to compete in, and the coach should give you the advice and program to make it happen. A good coach will let you know if you are ready or not for the stage.

17 is young, have you looked at which federation you want to be in?

Blog Entries
    Just remember, a personal trainer isn't a damn bodybuilding coach. They have to have knowledge about contest prep, nutrient manipulation, posing, etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information