Zoran is offline New Member

Becoming a pro - HOW,WHEN,WHERE

Well I am just looking for some info on becoming a pro. What are some of the best compitions to go into, I don't feel that this year I will be ready to go in any but next year I will be focusing all my attention to it. I wish I had a pic but I guess I my stats will have to do for now. What are the size of compeditors my age?? Where I live there is only one kid who is the same as me and he won the worlds in Cali a few months back and he is my age. Should I stay out of comps for a few more years or get some experince now?? What is the best way to go about my goal. I have also read some posts about the problems with being a pro and the sacrifices and I am well aware of them and I am willing to do what I have to do. Thanks for the info everyone!!

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Thats a long road man, check out lower federations then NPC. Thats the way to go. Theres alot that go into a competition. DO you know any competing bodybuilders personally. My boss is a competing bodybuilder so i just go to him for advice. You gotta pay your dues, check the net for more info on local comps

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Hey there's plenty of fall shows coming up. Best thing to do is start checking out shows every weekend and get a feel for it and see what its like.

The next step is to compete, you gotta see if you like before you decide to dedicate your life to it. After that, see how you do and look back on your experience. As many guys as i know that have competed and enjoyed it, i can find just as many guys who would never compete again. Competing is truly the only time you understand the sacrifices that you will have to make.

Don't jump in, get your feet wet first.

After all that, you will probably know much better about what its like, but you have to understand that being a Pro BBer is not like wanting to be a doctor. If you want to be a doctor, you study your ass off and you get there, not true with pro BBing. It might just be that others are going to respond better to training, diet, and steroids and theres nothing you can do about it no matter how hard you train. You also might want to check out Lee Preist's column in MD.
    Last edited by saboudian; 08-03-2003 at 11:02 PM.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Good luck Bro, post a pic, i know guys your age that are 275 off season and 216lbs with 4% BF, now that guy will be Pro...maybe...!!!...at 192lbs you have a great long road ahead of yourself...XXL

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    IF you have gentics and IF you get lucky you man get a pro card, then like 99% of pro's you can be broke all the time. Also at 5'10" based on today's standards you need to get on stage at about 260lbs. So good luck

Lmg2701 is offline Junior Member
    to become a pro it's not that hard.
    !.) Get a NPC card
    2.) Compete in an open division in a national qualifier and place in the top 2, this qualifies you for nationals.
    3.) compete in Nationals or the USA's. Win your division at nationals or win overall or runner-up at the USA's and you become pro.
    There ya go, it's only a 3 step process. By the way, take a look at some of these people.
    www.repetrope.com do a search for competitions and look up nationals and USA's.
    or go to www.ronniecoleman.com www.jaycutler.com

Flounder is offline New Member
    fyi - Jay Cutler is 5'9" and probably competes around 290. Looking at pictures of him as a teenager a person can tell that he had excellent genetics but he also put in a tremendous amount of hard work. You can do it man - .good luck

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder
    fyi - Jay Cutler is 5'9" and probably competes around 290. Looking at pictures of him as a teenager a person can tell that he had excellent genetics but he also put in a tremendous amount of hard work. You can do it man - .good luck
    Jay Cutler competing at 290!!!! Heeeeeeeell no. if Jay Cutler weighs 290, then Marcus and Art must compete about 355 and gunter must be competing at close to 400

I think Cutler realistically competes at around 265 or so, when you think of guys competing at 290 then you have guys like Art Atwood and Markus Ruhl.

No one is telling him he can't do anything, but making it as a Pro is like saying you are going to be a movie star in Hollywood.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Hey i am a movie star...lol...

I belive this guy is in Canada...first you do a local show, then regional, then provincial and if you place in top 3 then you can go to nationals, now i know guys that have been doing that show for years and still do not have a Pro card...hey i think you are in Ontario, maybe i will compete against you one day...lol...good luck Bro...XXL

Zoran is offline New Member
    Hey thanks alot for all the great info guys!!! Ya I know it is a long and hard road ahead but I am only 20 so time is on my side. I have never done any compedetive bodybuilding contests but I do not think I could stand on a stage and pose infront of that many people, lol but who knows!!But thanks again for all the info and this is all food for thought! fyi yes I am stuck in ontario chatham to be exact (beside windsor)

Rsox1 is offline Associate Member
    seriously with the way things havew been going a lotta guys are turing pro in their early and mid 30's so even though your very young you have to keep competing and keep cycling to keep yourself sharp, but thats only if you want a chance to be a pro

Thread Information