SLUMPBUSTR is offline Associate Member

need opinions for a comp...

hey everyone. not sure but i think this is my first post in this section. anyways, im doing my first competition at the end of may. im just getting into the full swing of my cycle and i have a question of what weight class i should shoot for:

im 5'8" about 195lbs, fairly lean, except for water weight. my question is should i try to gain as much mass as possible and then try to compete as a light heavyweight or should i try to make the middlewight class, under 176lbs??? thanks

sorry i should have stated that the reason im asking is cause i dont want to gain alot of mass and then cut up and just barely make the light heavyweight class and look small compared to the rest

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Too hard to tell you that without seeing you. If your as lean as you say I would still give yourself 14-16 weeks of deiting. Especially for 1st time. With that said, i would train to gain as much as you can up until then, without adding much body fat(get it measured). Then diet until your ready maybe it's 176 or maybe 185 and you will look great. No way to really tell until the process starts.

thats what i figured. after i posted i thought the info was not specific enough to make and accurate opinion. i suppose ill just keeping eating clean foods to bulk like usual so when it comes time to diet ill have an idea of where ill be. thanks silverfox

dangit is offline Member
    It's hard to shoot for a weight catagory if you've never done it before. I didn't worry about my weight last year and just tried to come in ripped. I ended up in the light heavyweights at 183 and most guys were around 10lbs heavier than me.

I still managed to place well though since I was more ripped and vascular than a lot of the bigger guys so I ended up standing out more.

I'd rather come in super ripped, then bigger and flat looking

Like SilverFox said... give yourself ample time to diet tough. Sometimes those last few lbs of fat can be a pain to get rid of.

totally agree, i would much rather be ripped and vascular then flat. i just have a fear that ill end up being ripped and be just over the middleweight class and end up looking small compared to the rest. i guess ill just have to go for it and see what happens

decadbal is offline Banned
    yea, hard to say without pics, depends on if you get super flat from being at 176 or you are super smooth at a heavier weight..

Rsox1 is offline Associate Member
    as long as you can look full as a middleweight go for it, your first show is never the time you want to be the lightest guy in your class, try to be the heaviest in the middleweight becausue any guys with a lot of muscle maturity will out muscle you if you are the lightest in a weight class for your first show.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I would just bulk up until u're 20 weeks out, this way you have plenty time to diet down since its your first comp. I wouldn't worry about hitting a wt, especially 1st comp, just come in at what ever you come in at.

BigJay4490 is offline New Member
    Just focus on being as RIPPED as you can I'm mean RIPPED!!!! Cause if not I'll beat ya....

Thread Information