Shredz is offline Respected Member

Shredz' competetion diet-REVISED

I believe I have a diet up in a previous post regarding my contest prep but through some advice I have made some minor changes. My current stats are: 5'10" 202lbs approx 14%BF.

Here is my training schedule and current diet.

Monday Chest and bis
    Tues Legs (Quads, Hams, Calves)
    Wed Off
    Thurs Shoulders and Tris
    Fri Back and Calves
    Abs EOD
    Cardio is on workout days only and currently doing 30min in the AM on an empty stomach

I will be increasing the cardio as I get further into the diet, and decreasing the carbs.

MY diet:

Meal 1 (Post AM cardio)
    10 egg whites, 1 cup of cooked oatmeal

Meal 2
    7oz chicken breast
    200gm Yam
    1 cup of Green Beans

Meal 3
    8oz of extra lean ground beef
    1 cup of Brown Rice (cooked)
    1 cup of green beens

Meal 4(pre-workout 1 hr before)
    7oz chicken breast
    200gm Yam
    1 cup of Broccoli

Post workout shake
    Whey protein shake 50gms and 50gms of dextrose or 5 large rice cakes.

Meal 5 (Hr after post workout shake)
    Can of tuna 4oz and large salad no dressing

Possibly a Protein skake 45gm/protein before bed depending on what time last meal falls at.

Daily macronutrient totals are:
    Cals - 2,514.5
    Pro. - 311
    Carbs - 242
    Fats - 4

*Note* These totals do not include possible evening protein shake which would be Cals-195.5/Pro-45/Carbs-2/Fats-0

I am drinking approx 2 gallons of water a day.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and/or suggestions

decadbal is offline Banned
    what supps are u gonna be taking, also, are you gonna drop your calories every 2 weeks or stick with this diet the entire route, also i personally would add a few cardio sessions after a workout or before bed startin about 8 or 7 weeks out.... good luck brother

dangit is offline Member
    Going down to 2500 cals right away might really mess up your metabolizm. I found a few years back that I can stay around 3000 cals and loose weight very quickly. Under 2800 cals and I start loosing lots of muscle.

Make sure you get enough essential fats in there too. I usually do that by just cooking my breakfast and after workout meal on a pan with Olive oil in it.

It's not hard to overdue it and loose weight fast, the trick is trying to keep your muscle. I always go overboard at first and have to loosen up my diet.

The only real difference between your diet and mine is that my after workout meal has a cup of oatmeal in it. Also the extra fats from Olive oil and peanut butter which will actually let you burn the bad fat anyway.

Thanks guys. As it stands right now I will be using this diet until I find myself hitting a plateau. I won't be waiting until I hit one, but as soon as I see my body not changing quickly enough.

I will be uping the cardio at the same time as I start to drop the carbs. And then I will look at possibly replacing some of the dropped carbs with some more fats if I find my self getting flat or losing to quickly.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Shredz-It looks like your on the right track bro and you already know how to get shredded so there is not a lot to comment on. But I figured maybe I could offer some personal experience that could be of help to you.

I started out in October at 11% bf and got down to 6.5% by the end of February while only loosing a few lbs of body weight. The most important thing of course is diet and cardio (No **** sherlock lol). Depending on how well you know your body and how fast your metabolism is I would do cardio in the am for no less than 40 mins. It takes at least 20 mins for lipoysis to start so a half hr of cardio is only 10 mins of burning fat. Now if your one of those lucky guys with a fast metabolism (as it sounds since your carbs look rather high for a cutting diet) then I suggest trying to get away with as many cals as possible and starting at least 3K a day. Then drop as progress stalls. Dangit hit the nail on the head with how keeping muscle is the hardest part of dieting down. I think this is very important as too many people drop cals too fast. Start high and slowly drop down is the best way to go IMO. Let the cardio and training rid the fat. Also, I would start at with 3 carb/protein meals at breakfast, pwo, ppwo and reserve the other meals for protein and fats. Carb timing is crucial at least for me when I'm trying to avoid any chance of fat storage. Just a few basic reminders...hope it helps. Good luck,

~US~

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    All good suggestions, I like the carbs early in day, then fats and protien after that. I also think some healthy fats would be good idea, maybe some olive oil mixed with flax on evening salad as an example. I personally don't think calories need to change that much. For example when you drop your carbs by 10% make up difference with fat and protien. Cals stay the same, but fat burning will continue has ratio has changed. On a high carb day (may be 1x week) drop protien/fats a bit. You get the idea i think.

Thanks again for all the help fella's all great advice. I will keep you posted on my progress and hell maybe even throw up a few pics along the way.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I must agree with adding some fats olive oil or flaxseed oil would do the trick, i would drop the carb to 200gm, thats 168 calorie reduction (42gm x 4cal) now take that 168 calories and get some healthy fats into your diet, they not only maintain metabolism but also keep you health and maintain hormone production, So that's about 20gm of fat, i would bump the total fat to around 30-35gm per day, from my personal expiriance that is enough fat for me to keep me relitively healthy...while dieting.....good luck Bro!
    XXL

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL
    I must agree with adding some fats olive oil or flaxseed oil would do the trick, i would drop the carb to 200gm, thats 168 calorie reduction (42gm x 4cal) now take that 168 calories and get some healthy fats into your diet, they not only maintain metabolism but also keep you health and maintain hormone production, So that's about 20gm of fat, i would bump the total fat to around 30-35gm per day, from my personal expiriance that is enough fat for me to keep me relitively healthy...while dieting.....good luck Bro!
    XXL
    Can you recommend where to drop the carb meals and change them to fats. I ran this idea by a few people and they seem to be recommending 2 totally different things.

Thanks

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    eat your carbs early in the day. Ideally if you train in AM you can eat all carbs by 2pm or so. Then protien and fat rest of day. If you train at supper time take in some simple carbs post workout even when dieting. Idea by eating carbs early you burn them instead of store them.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Silverfoxes way works, but i preffer to alternate
    7:00AM carbs & Protein
    9:30 Fats & Protein
    12:00 Carbs & Protein
    3:00 Fats & Protein
    4:30 train
    5:00 Carbs & Protein
    7:30 Fats & Protein (smaller amount of fats asa the day comes to an end)
    10:00 Protein with maybe 2.5ml of olive oil just to slow down the digestion
    That's the way i do it works for me and the wife, buut might not for others...that's why you get better with time as you experiment you learn your body and can predict better what not to & what to do...i'll see you this weekend so we can talk more about that...peace...XXL

Thread Information