GATOR_98 is offline Associate Member

Need Help!! Computer Is Sloww

Hey boyz, I know this is kinda vague but my comp is runnin' real slow....programs don't open fast etc. Could I have SPYWARE on my comp causing this trouble? What kind of fix can I do with it?
    thanx

not2bigyet is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GATOR_98
    Hey boyz, I know this is kinda vague but my comp is runnin' real slow....programs don't open fast etc. Could I have SPYWARE on my comp causing this trouble? What kind of fix can I do with it?
    thanx
    download ad-aware SE by lavasoft and spybot search & destroy, they are both freeware and will take out almost all spyware on your comp...

Quote Originally Posted by not2bigyet
    download ad-aware SE by lavasoft and spybot search & destroy, they are both freeware and will take out almost all spyware on your comp...
    Couldn't have sait it better myself

And once you cleaned out the tons of spyware, run a hard disk defrag... that helps a LOT!

Red

GATOR_98 is offline Associate Member
    thanx bros....can i get those from downloads.com???

Yup, and the defrag came with windows.

Red

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    Quote Originally Posted by GATOR_98
    thanx
    BTW as you can see now, prevention is better than a cure. If you still have probs, or if it just seems like time to start fresh anyway, after formatting your HD and installing windows, BEFORE ever going online, install ZoneAlarm. Then install a good AV prog like Symantec Norton Antivirus. Get the latest updates.

DO NOT use P2P apps unless you know exactly what you are doing. Even if you do, install some antispyware stuff like AdAware. A popup blocker is another good idea.

Do not use an email client that resolves html. I like Agent, myself. HTML is rendered as raw text and so it cannot "do" anything. Also set up your puter to always display filename estensions. A common trick is to send a file named something like "hotchick.jpg.scr" and if filename extensions are hidden it will appear to be "hotchick.jpg" and you will of course click on it and the dern thing runs and does whatever, or installs whatever. With all filename extensions showing, you know which files are harmless and which might not be. When in doubt, DO NOT open or run a file received as email.

Be careful of what you install. Why is this or that program free? Often because the author has some reason to WANT you to install it! DO NOT install anything DLed from a P2P network. UseNet is okay because there is post peer review. If a post is bad, if it is incomplete or worse if it is infected, someone will quickly post that info, often before you can even finish the download. Same for ftp or http downloads. You can't always be confident in the integrity of the file or the poster.

Don't install progs you don't need. If you try something out, uninstall. Keep your task bar clear. Check your resources periodically. Install more RAM.

Good luck straightening things out.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Scandisk then defrag like red said.. do that at lease once a month.. it helps whole lot..

Thread Information