OSTIE is offline Senior Member

Self teaching PHP???

Well my aunt, uncle, and some other person own this ATV website, it is sorta like AR except for ATV enthusiasts. They hired a web developer to work with them, but they are absolutely disgusted with his ethic on improving the site to their needs.

They keep bugging me, because I am a software engineer major, to take over the responsibilities while being happily compensated. What they really dont understand is most software/computer engineers do not take webprogramming classes, unless they choose it as a free elective junior/senior. It actually pisses me off because when I tell people what I go to school for, the immediately think ill be some webprogrammer when infact i will be nothing close to that.

Either way, all businesses now adays need a webpage, whether a future company includes that in my responsibilities or not, and me working on this ATV webpage would look pretty good as a starting point on my resume for computer type jobs.

Anyone familiar with PHP webprogramming?? Right now they use PHP nuke. From the looks of things, not only will I need to teach myself PHP, but also mySQL. I do not take any database courses till the end of school year. I only know advance C++ and mild java.

You guys think this is easily accomplishable to teach myself this by reading about it on the web? Anyone have some real good sites that do a great job teaching people free over the internet?

Sorry for my long ramble, lol.

-ost

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    i did a search on limewire (a program you can download)
    and there was a lot of hits for php howtos and stuff like that
    if you know how to use irc you can search packetnews.com for php
    youll find a lot of files like
    teach yourself php in 24 hours rar
    info php and mysql for dummies 2nd edit pdf
    php handbook pdf

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTIE
    They keep bugging me, because I am a software engineer major, to take over the responsibilities while being happily compensated. What they really dont understand is most software/computer engineers do not take webprogramming classes, unless they choose it as a free elective junior/senior. It actually pisses me off because when I tell people what I go to school for, the immediately think ill be some webprogrammer when infact i will be nothing close to that.
    Ha, so it happens to other people also, huh? People just don't understand that a web programmer is just about the furthest thing (that still has to do with computers) from a computer scientist.

Sorry I can't help you. As a fellow c/c++ guy, I've also wanted to get my foot in the door with web programming (ugh, I still almost can't bring myself to do it). Lemmie know what you come up with!

critter is offline Junior Member

php pretty simple

php and mysql are pretty simple to work with.. There are lots of how-to's out there but its very flexable. if you actually look at the code it all pretty straight forward unlike perl or somethign to that nature

Thread Information