Sage is offline Anabolic Member

Windows XP install

How large should a partition be to put Windows XP on it.....My \C: drive is constantly 95% full and my computer running slow as hell...My cable modem is slow to respond because of this and overall opening files and etc is noticeably slow...

I decided to make another large partition on my hard drive and insatll another version of XP there....

My question is how can i delete from the DOS "command promt" the old partition with windows XP on it where the C: derive is 95% full. I now have 2 windows XP partitions when the computer starts.

I tried to clean up the filled up \C: drive but it is so slow which will probably take the entire day to complete this simple task so i just said **** it and delete that bitch...

i don't even know why the \C: drive fills up so quickly, i hardly download any software on it except music files from morpheus.....Could it be becasue of Adware and ****ing pop ups????

Will compressing the entire \C: drive and all the files in it make a difference in computer performance?

some1 who knows what i am talking about hit me up.....

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Boot your computer with the XP CD in the drive; just like you're going to perform a fresh install. When the menu comes up asking where you would like to install XP there will be an option to format and create partitions.

Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Boot your computer with the XP CD in the drive; just like you're going to perform a fresh install. When the menu comes up asking where you would like to install XP there will be an option to format and create partitions.
    bro,

i did all that and booted from the CD as u said....I am now on my new partition just installed it like two minutes ago and could not be happier.....everything is peaches and works well (fast).

I would like to delete the old partition of XP insatall and not have two of them. I have no clue how to do that and should i do it from the DOS command or what?

maybe if i had a chance to boot it from the floppy it could of been easier and take me straight to DOS where i could get rid of it?

I get to DOS by clicking the Start tab----RUN-----type in cmd----and DOS command promp opens up-----but i don't know what type of command to use aftrewards and not that familiar with DOS commands....

I would really appreciate if some1 could help me out.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    you dont want to del the partition you just what to del the contents ?

just click on the folders and hit shift + del

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    if you just want to clean up the space from DOS, then use FDisk or Format. If you want to get rid of the partition, boot from the XP CD again and it should show 2 partitions, get rid of the one you don't want from there

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    click my computer
    right click the drive
    and click format

all done.....deleted the old part from a cd boot..

thanx all

Thread Information