Sage is offline Anabolic Member

Windows XP-vs-2000

here is the deal...

a friend build me a custom computer with XP operating system running just fine. I am taking MCSE classes and need to downgrade the operating system
    to:
    1)Window 2000 Proffesional (partition)
    2)Windows 2000 Server (partition)

becasue thats what i am studying and have labs on.

The two CD's that {Proffesional /Server 2000} i cannot install on the XP operating system because i get the message that "the CD's are the older version compare to the one i am currently using and therefore setup is automatically disabled"
    i cannot take the XP off my computer at all, do i have to call that bro and get the XP CD so i can get into insallation module and delete the partition that way?

the computer will not directly boot from either of the CDs and goes straight into WindowsXP

I've been messing with it all night and came up with nottn...
    any1 know how to solve this....????
    Last edited by Sage; 10-04-2004 at 10:39 PM.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    use fdisk - it'll clear off a partition (basically erase a drive)

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    use fdisk - it'll clear off a partition (basically erase a drive)
    erasing the entire drive is what i am after and start fresh....how can i create the fdisk....it would help me out tremedously

PiecinItUp is offline Member
    Have you tried booting the computer from the Windows Pro and Server disks, this should pop up the setup dialoge and you should be able to delete the Windows XP installation and reinstall Pro and Server on two sep. partitions

Quote Originally Posted by PiecinItUp
    Have you tried booting the computer from the Windows Pro and Server disks, this should pop up the setup dialoge and you should be able to delete the Windows XP installation and reinstall Pro and Server on two sep. partitions
    i don't have the disks just the install CD's that were provided with the books....at the labs we have portable empty hard drives and the install was clean....i just need to clear mine asap to keep up with all the lab work

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    Get VMWARE. Do you know what it is??

max

Really quick, in case I dont get on till later. You can keep your system an XP box, dont format anything, dont lose any data. Your VMWARE session will not affect the 'xp part' of your box. The VM session is like having multiple OS's running on the same box. kinda like window in window on tv. I dont know how much it is, but you can always find things for free online if you look hard enough.

max

SonGoku is offline Associate Member
    yup VMware is the way to go. Basicly you create virtual machines on your existing OS. It does require some memory. So If your short on memory then forget about it.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage
    i cannot install on the XP operating system because i get the message that "the CD's are the older version compare to the one i am currently using and therefore setup is automatically disabled"
    Ahh, Windows...what a piece of sh-t. That is completely ridiculous that they disallow "downgrading" like that....absolutely ridiculous.

1) Download Knoppix Linux 3.6.
    2) Burn it to a CD.
    3) In your BIOS, change your boot order to include CD-ROM before your hard disk.
    4) Put in the Knoppix Linux 3.6 CD
    5) Restart computer.
    6) After Knoppix has finished booting, open a terminal session and run fdisk on your hard drive device (usually /dev/hda if your hard drive is on IDE 0).
    7) Delete your Winblows partitions.
    8) Put in your Winblows 2000 CD and reboot your computer.
    9) You should be able to install Winblows 2000 now.
    10) Come to the realization that MSCE is a complete waste of time...

NOTE: This will delete everything associated with your Windows XP partition...including all your files, data, email, whatever.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    With the greatest of respect your doing your MCSE and you just asked us how to get rid of XP?

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    You can also use a partition management app like Partition Magic to create a partion(s) and install the OS's on them as you please. You will still need to make it dual boot however.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    With the greatest of respect your doing your MCSE and you just asked us how to get rid of XP?
    MCSE i started not too long ago and i am sure it will shock u that i have a Bachelors in IT, i know, pathetic lol, but did not know how to get into the bios based on the motherboard requirenments, now i know its "F1" on mine and others maybe "Delete".....i learn as i go and bros here been a great help...
    Last edited by Sage; 10-11-2004 at 01:00 PM.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage
    MCSE i started not too long ago and i am sure it will shock u that i have a Bachelors in IT, i know, pathetic lol, but did not know how to get into the bios based on the motherboard requirenments, now i know its "F1" on mine and others maybe "Delete".....i learn as i go and bros here been a great help...
    Well good luck. I work at Microsoft in Reading, England. Its the HQ in the UK. Im an IT Coordinator there, taking care of the hardware and software within the 3 buildings

Clockworks said the magic word. knoppix. I havnt used any knoppix except knoppix std. But very easy to do everything you want, including setting your boot sequence.

clockworks,
    i did exactly that and the problem was in my internal cd drive....threw it out and bought a new one...all good now....downgraded my OS based on lab assignments and i can finally practice for my exams.....thanks all for ur help

Latino~Heat is offline Junior Member
    just a thought..if you really want to get a good grasp on how the setup is...Server\workstation (2k)..I would install on two serparate machines for you to fully understand the concept of "networking" a huge thing when it comes with windows...with that, you will then set up a small lab, i have 5+yrs experience and trust me..the two partitions, one having server, another having workstation, that was when NT40 was out..so my advice, get you three crappy machines with each having a minimum of 600mhz/10 gigs/ 256ram (each will probably cost you ohh say 100.00 give or take) but again, thats how you learn..also invest in a HP Laserjet 4 or 5 printer (cheap, about 40 bucks) and make sure it has a jetdirect card in it (networking printer for all workstations and server to print out of), you will also need a hub...

its gonna cost you upfront a little, but hey, the learning experience will pay off!!!! take it from me..laters

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    I agree with Latino. Buy seperate machines. Used is okay. You can find them online for a song. Can probably sell them to someone else taking the course next semester, or keep one to use as a firewall for your home network. BTW you can get by quite adequately with 128MB RAM if you can't find old clunkers with 256. No sense spending the bucks for the upgrade, considering what you are doing with them. Oh, and old VGA monitors should work fine for you, as well. Those things you can sometimes find in the dumpster behind a medium sized office building.

WNxGator is offline New Member
    umm ok .... all you need to do if you wanna start fresh is get into your bios (usually the delete key at boot up) and make your boot order start with cdrom then place your 2000 disk into the drive and press any key to boot from cd rom when prompted
    the only other cd you will need is a windows 98 cd
    if you dont have one you can find them at local p-c or software exchange store for like 10 bucks
    good luck pm me if you need more help on setting up your bios
    Last edited by WNxGator; 11-17-2004 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling

CanadianBacon is offline Junior Member
    LOLOLOL You don't need to run fdisk! You just need to boot from the cd(pro or server 200) and from there you can clear and create new partitions, make 3 if your training. You never know when the 3rd will come in handy, and its always good as a swap file. Just set the bios to boot from cdrom and go with the utilities on the setup.

Thread Information