PiecinItUp is offline Member

Im getting radio thru my computer speakers??? WTF?

Hey guys, just got a brand new PC, custom built, sweet as hell so far....but im sitting here in my quiet little room and im getting a faint radio braudcast through my computer speakers??? WTF??? its not that bothersome but how can I fix this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    THIS may be your answer

Seriously though....

http://www.sbot.org/docs/RFI.pdf

PiecinItUp is offline Member
    Thank you SC.....I love to read...and thats a lot of reading!

Quote Originally Posted by PiecinItUp
    Thank you SC.....I love to read...and thats a lot of reading!

I just did a quick search on google for you.. (for the good site hahah).... so don't start thinking I know my PC shyt haha

WNxGator is offline New Member
    okok i got an eazy one for this.. coat your entire room in tin foil........................... just kidding !!

Iowa is offline Banned
    This is sorta off subject, but when I was in highschool, I was playing my electric guitar and I picked up a radio station from Quebec on my amplifier(keep in mind im in Iowa). They were speaking a bunch of French and then all the sudden the guy on the radio said "blah blah blah......Quebec" True story.

You can get a radio signal thru anything that has an audio amplifier and a speaker if the radio signal is strong enough...

You probably live close to a transmitter and computer speakers are usually pretty cheaply made so they don't do a good job filtering out the radio signal... add to that the lenght of the hookup wire or plug being a resonant lenght (ie: it acts as an antenna at that radio stations frequency) and you hear the radio in them.

First thing you want to try is go to radio shack and get "rf chokes", they're little gizmos you clamp on the cords and they stop RFI (radio frequency interference). Also make sure your computer case is closed. Hopefully the radio signal isn't overloading the speakers amplifier itself...

One can have a lot of fun with RFI, when I used to live in an appartment I blew my inconsiderate neighbours guitar amplifier with my ham radio gear. Seems guitar amps are sensitive to 100 watts of RF pointed straight at it thru a wall

Iowa ... you were probably picking up an AM station on "skip" at night (signal skips off the atmosphere and can come in almost as strong as if you were sitting on the transmitter)

Red

Thread Information