Thread: Changing IP....

Question Changing IP....

Anyone know how to change your IP? Ive tried disconnecting my internet for 3 days then connect it again and still the same IP. Also, I have a ethernet switch because I ran a gaming server from my house, I tried to reconect through the switch which has changed my IP in the past but I cant seen to get it to issue me a new IP. Driving me nuts

anyhelp or suggestions would be great.

FR

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    It really depends on how you are getting your internet. Its easy to change your IP address.

double click on lan settings
    go to properties
    single click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    click on properties

Then you'll see a screen that allows you to type in your ip address.

Problem is you have to put one in that is within your available ip block. Dial-up and most residential DSL accounts assign your IP address automatically.

If you have a single-computer residential DSL connection, but more than one computer, you can purchase a broadband router at many computer stores. Most of these will automatically assign an IP address to each computer on your local network.

aspengc8 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    It really depends on how you are getting your internet. Its easy to change your IP address.

double click on lan settings
    go to properties
    single click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    click on properties

Then you'll see a screen that allows you to type in your ip address.

Problem is you have to put one in that is within your available ip block. Dial-up and most residential DSL accounts assign your IP address automatically.

If you have a single-computer residential DSL connection, but more than one computer, you can purchase a broadband router at many computer stores. Most of these will automatically assign an IP address to each computer on your local network.
    This is true, but being on cable or DSL means your going to get a static IP. Throw in a cable/dsl router, thats doing NAT for your inside range, and you can throw away your game server, unless you (1) get another IP address from your provider (2) disconnect the router, and plug the server directly into the cable/dsl modem.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Results
    Anyone know how to change your IP? Ive tried disconnecting my internet for 3 days then connect it again and still the same IP. Also, I have a ethernet switch because I ran a gaming server from my house, I tried to reconect through the switch which has changed my IP in the past but I cant seen to get it to issue me a new IP. Driving me nuts

FR

I can see what you are trying to do, disconnecting and waiting for it to drop the IP, hoping when it renews it you will get a new one?

See which IP are you wanting to change, the Local one or the Main IP, the IP for your internet connection. If its the local IP then its easy, you may also have it on assign by dhcp.

If you want to change your main IP, the one that is the internet connection you could try the method you just did, or, just ring your cable supplier, explain that the IP needs to be changed, im sure they will be willing to help.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    i guess you could open a command prompt and do a ipconfig /release, /renew.

Quote Originally Posted by kloter1
    i guess you could open a command prompt and do a ipconfig /release, /renew.
    That would do it for the Local adapter, unless he was connected directly to the modem.

You could use "ARP" commands to change the adapters address, this is you best bet.

You need to provide us with more info.

1. What is your WAN connection ( Cable, DSL, T1, T3, campus ethernet ) ?
    2. What type of device is YOUR pc hooked into ( you mentioned ethernet switch, is a plain switch, managed, can It route? )

answer those....and we can take it to the next step.

An ipconfig /release..../renew is only going to get you a new dynamic address from a local dhcp request. You would need to renew from your edge device, thats IF your ISP or whatever you answered in question 1 is providing dynamic IP.
    An arp request (arp -a) is only going to show you a MAC to IP mapping, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by aspengc8
    You need to provide us with more info.

1. What is your WAN connection ( Cable, DSL, T1, T3, campus ethernet ) ?
    2. What type of device is YOUR pc hooked into ( you mentioned ethernet switch, is a plain switch, managed, can It route? )

answer those....and we can take it to the next step.

An ipconfig /release..../renew is only going to get you a new dynamic address from a local dhcp request. You would need to renew from your edge device, thats IF your ISP or whatever you answered in question 1 is providing dynamic IP.
    An arp request (arp -a) is only going to show you a MAC to IP mapping, or vice versa.
    Yea what im saying is he can assign a different IP to his modem using the Arp command, by knowing the mac he should be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Yea what im saying is he can assign a different IP to his modem using the Arp command, by knowing the mac he should be able to.
    He wont be able to assign a different IP to an Edge device ( cable modem, dsl modem ) unless he has access to it. Whether it be via proprietary software, or a console port, he can't. He can change his PC's Ip, or his router's local interface Ip, but not the edge side, that points to his isp.

What he can do is if he needs another IP, call and tell them you need 2. That would give you 1 for all your LAN pc's to get NAT to leave your network, and 1 for his "game" server, so It can be accessed from other neworks.

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Results

FR

Sounds like you have a router/firewall with a built in switch? Just guessing from your description.

Peace,

CC

statuZ is offline Banned
    clone your mac address, thats thje easiest way to do it,d ont listen to anybody else becuase this is simply the easiest way to do it, especially if yo have a linksys.

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statuZ
    clone your mac address, thats thje easiest way to do it,d ont listen to anybody else becuase this is simply the easiest way to do it, especially if yo have a linksys.
    Yeah don't listen to anyone we have no idea what is going on........

Militia is offline Banned
    changing your ip from the inside by manipulating the tcp/ip wont change anything u will only change your ip inside of the network because if u r connecting throw cable or broadban u r using the ip of the server and all the users in this netwrok have this ip 2 the ip in your tcp/ip in fake its only a network ip not an internet ip ,if u want to change your ip so no one will monitor your real ip on the internet use a proxy server lgo to http://www.aliveproxy.com/ choose an ip from the proxy list like 192.115.106.236 port 3128 go to internet option--->connections if u r using dialup or broadband press settings and put the ip and the port in their places if u r using cable press lan setting and put the ip and the port in their places ,u can do this in the msn messenger 2
    btw switch only understand mac adresses it dont understand ips only router understand and route ips btw pcs/servers running differnet platforms

Thread Information