SickNasty is offline Associate Member

"theoreticall" ISP CAll about bit torrent?

Ok Theoretically Speaking

What would a person do if they downloaded a movie off of bit torrent and 3 days later the internet doesn't work.

They call the ISP and it turns out they turned off the internet because of the downloading of a movie they said "was on the FBI watch list" they also stated it was the first offense so "next time the service is cut off for good"

Would a person worry about using a program to rewrite over the harddrive multiple times (because they might have more pirated stuff). It would be legal to download a movie if you own it already right. So that said what should a person do?

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    got busted eh?

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty

What would a person do if they downloaded a movie off of bit torrent and 3 days later the internet doesn't work.

They call the ISP and it turns out they turned off the internet because of the downloading of a movie they said "was on the FBI watch list" they also stated it was the first offense so "next time the service is cut off for good"

Would a person worry about using a program to rewrite over the harddrive multiple times (because they might have more pirated stuff). It would be legal to download a movie if you own it already right. So that said what should a person do?

hahahaha u fool

not2bigyet is offline Member
    and I was thinking about trying this i'd rather not deal...

cmon
    what should someone do? you know you all have d/l tons of crap

MedicWill is offline Banned
    Dont download this file and one piece. If you can get it broken up into many parts then put it back together on your PC you wont be charge for the complete file.

I do this with xbox games (well backing them up ofcourse )

I know but do you think it would be just the ISP dealing with it or is the government going to get an subpeona?

Should this person get rid of songs and stuff on the computer?

If this person has the movie already is it wrong to get a backup off the net

bump

MMC78 is offline Senior Member

I think your full of sh!t. If not find a new ISP.

geoneo is offline Associate Member
    mmm i download every possible movie, like 10 a month and i never have that problem. one of the main reasons your isp turns you off sometimes is because you've using to much bandwith (downloaded to much stuff)- but then again i dont now the rules in usa since i'm in canada

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    I've heard two sides of the tale. One of fed's busting doors down with subpeonas, but that was to major parts of a warez ring not a small time p2p user and the other being what happend to you except it wasn't by a federal body but by the RIAA.. if in fact it was the RIAA then you get a 2nd shot then they request a warrent and your ****ed... this is why i dont download p2p's or other public channels.. happy downloading..

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    First of all, stay away from P2P stuff like bit torrent or kazaa or emule etc. Even with an IP spoofer you are not very safe, and P2P is catching the most heat because it is more "point and click" in operation. All these web kiddies who think the WWW -IS- the internet find it easy to get started with. Those of us who remember when computers didn't have hard drives and a mouse was a rodent use a news reader to download their stuff from usenet.

Here's how:

FIRST get yourself a DSL connection. You will get stuff approximately 60 times faster. THEN get yourself a router, even if you only have one computer. If wireless, use WEP encryption. User names, password, etc. Keep your puter secure! Use Zone Alarm, too, to keep progs from "phoning home". Most firewall programs don't do that... they just stop incoming.

Get yourself a good newsreader for downloading binaries. I like NewsLeecher, even though the interface isn't very intuitive. Do a web search. This prog is worth paying for, trust me! DO NOT get it from a P2P source! Get it from the company's web site so you know there are no screwy patches in it that do screwy things with your puter. NewsLeecher, like many better programs, supports multiple connections. My server allows up to 6 connections so basically I am downloading 6 times as fast as a normal single connection. It is like there are 6 of me all connected to the server at once, each getting different parts of the same file.

Also get yourself a copy of free agent for downloading just headers. It is easier to use than newsleecher for just seeing what is available on a newsgroup. Better yet, though, subscribe to an indexing service like NewsBin. (Web search again!)

Now you need a news server. If your ISP has one, it is probably sub-par for serious downloading. Go to www.forteinc.com and subscribe to their unlimited service. Trust me it is better than metered service cause you will soon be DLing 2 or 3 gigs per day!

Set up your newsreader to access the server. Tell zone alarm it is okay for newsleecher to access the internet. Now usenet is a collective term for about 50,000 newsgroups, virtual bulletin board thingies. Some are text only. Some are for binaries. All are named according to topic. For instance, alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.cantaloupe would ideally be only for posting sexually explicit pics of perverts with their melons. Let's say you are into that. You could download a certain number of headers and select the ones you want to download, then get the bodies for those messages. The newsreader decodes the bodies and you save the pics for your masturbatory delight. Pics are usually posted as single messages. In other words, a pic is not split into multiple messages.

Practice downloading pics or other small files, and also check out the text groups, where you can discuss all sorts of stuff. For instance you could check into alt.support.crossdressing and unburden yourself about your private little hangup with wearing pantyhose to work. Hypothetically of course. Search the newsgroup names for interesting stuff.

Okay, now on to the big kid's fun. Multiple message posts. A typical VCD compliant MPG file is around a gigabyte. Obviously you wouldn't post this as the body of a single message. It is split, typically into messages of around 10MB each. You must get all the parts and put them together. Learn how to do this yourself before using all the easy tools to do it. These parts are usually RAR files. Get WinRAR to put them together. Some of the files will be incomplete and you must also download the PAR files found elsewhere in the post, and use QuickPar to repair or replace the missing or incomplete or corrupted parts. When QuickPar says you have all the parts complete, use WinRAR to put it together and walah there is your movie.

A lot of this process is streamlined by subscribing to an indexing service for typically a buck a month or something like that. You search the indexed posts on their website and get the message indexes in the form of an NZB file. Many newer newsreaders use the NZB file to automatically search for the message headers and download the files for you. It is super easy. Typically from the time I log on to my network to the time I am ready to watch the movie I select is under 45 minutes. Try THAT on P2P! And we are not talking about some cheesy avi or rm file, either. It is relatiely safe unless you are posting movies etc. You can get programs or audio CD or all kinds of stuff. Anything in a file! Only prob is you will soon find yourself buying a new 250GB external HD every month LOL! I have a couple of TB of storage and I am always running out of space!

Read the FAQs at the forte site or the newsbin site and DL the tutorials.

thanks for the advice, i got a router and **** and have cable internet. i know i wasnt using too much bandwith cause i hardly never d/l ****

I have downloaded some dirty stuff off of newsgroups before know all about parts of files and the ****, but the thing is i dont know if even that is safe

The isp specifically stated what i was downloading so they aren't ****ing around

the thing that pisses me off the most is that they don't even know that I have a movie that I am downloading, why the hell can they get all pissy about me backing something up?

The Baron is offline Fourth Koala of the Apocalypse
    thanks for the advice, i got a router and **** and have cable internet. i know i wasnt using too much bandwith cause i hardly never d/l ****

I have downloaded some dirty stuff off of newsgroups before know all about parts of files and the ****, but the thing is i dont know if even that is safe

The isp specifically stated what i was downloading so they aren't ****ing around

the thing that pisses me off the most is that they don't even know that I have a movie that I am downloading, why the hell can they get all pissy about me backing something up?
    I am not sure, but I think that in order to comply fully with the law, you must back up from the copy that is actually in your posession. Use a dvd ripper like ImToo or Super DVD Ripper.

Most premium news servers respect your anonymity. Server logs are not kept in any detail. That would be wasteful of resources anyway. They only keep track of your usage, and then only on metered accounts. Your ISP cannot keep track of what you DL from a 3rd party news server, either. That is why usenet is considered safer than P2P. Also I think either SuperNews or EasyNews, one or the other, allows you to pay via western union, so you don't even have to use your credit card or bank account. Posting increases your risk, of course, and your culpability if you were to be caught. I hate to say this, because if nobody posts, nothing is there to download, but think twice before posting anything covered by a copyright.

BTW there are plenty of public domain movies out there, classics from the 20s and 30s, that have outlived their copyrights. I just downloaded a whole bunch of old Frankenstein, Wolfman, Mummy, and Dracula movies that are public domain. Plus there are 3 Stooges shorts, old cartoons, lots of fun stuff from before things had to be politically correct, and humor was still allowed.

Myself, I have an unlimited news account from Forte, for 14.95/month and their server has excellent completion, and retention of around 14 days. They let me have up to 6 simultaneous connections. I am using NewsLeecher for my newsreader. I just started using it after using Agent for years, and I love it even though it is a little rough on the user interface. I can click on an NZB file and bingo the program opens and captures all the header info and is ready to download just like that.

There is always the possibility of rerouting through poland, or switezerland. I heard that the riaa tracker trips if something goes out of the country. a friend suggested that but it would defeinaintly affect d/l speed.

Thread Information