AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires

God dammit... computer problem

Alright Ive got an external 160gb USB hard drive for my laptop and I let my friend transfer some files from it, instructing him not to leave it on all night because it could burn out, but he let his sister transfer some stuff and she left it on all night cuz shes a dumb bitch and now my computer doesnt recognize it... It turns on and everything but it just doesnt show up on the computer. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? or at least recover all my data on it?

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    you could try reinstalling windows.. it may pick it up in the install process.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    it's not burnt out.

have you tried restarting your computer ? no need to reinstall windows and lose everything.

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    does the HDD spin?

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    it's not burnt out.

have you tried restarting your computer ? no need to reinstall windows and lose everything.

How will he lose everything? He does not have to format.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    it's not burnt out.

I know its not my windows cuz it worked fine before I gave it to him... its something with the hard drive. I turn it on and it spins and beeps like it used to but the only difference is now the computer doesnt pick it up as a drive. Ive tried restarting with it attached also. I really dont care about paying money to have it fixed but I just dont want to lose all the stuff on it... isnt there data recovery services that specialize in getting info off broken drives?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Try unplugging the drive and putting the cord back in. I know with mine sometimes the contact will get a little off and it windows won't recognize it. i can hear the connection signal but it won't show up in my computer. just keep tweaking with the cable see if that does anything.

RedKnight is offline Junior Member
    What version of Windows are you using? If you are using XP, I would go into Disk Management. You can get there by right clicking on my computer, and then on manage. Now right click on disk management on the left hand side and click on rescan disks. This may or may not pick it up. If it now shows up as a Foreign disk, you will want to choose import foreign disks. Hopefully this will get it working....Good Luck

RedKnight is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    I know its not my windows cuz it worked fine before I gave it to him... its something with the hard drive. I turn it on and it spins and beeps like it used to but the only difference is now the computer doesnt pick it up as a drive. Ive tried restarting with it attached also. I really dont care about paying money to have it fixed but I just dont want to lose all the stuff on it... isnt there data recovery services that specialize in getting info off broken drives?
    Data Recovery services are probably out of the question if nothing else works. Some places charge upwards of 500 bucks an hour just to look at the drive. You would probably be looking at a couple grand to have that done.

Jesus, its very very frustrating when i offer advice and no one responds. Its a process of elimination.

Can you please tell me/us is the HDD spins.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    It spins...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    It spins...
    Very sorry! Take it back, i didnt read all the replys

Susguy is offline Associate Member
    connect your harddrive to your computer first then...right click on my computer go to properties. go to hardware and click on device manager and see if there is any question mark to your external harddrive. it may a corrup driver.. do you have any other usb devices connected?

Thread Information