GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?

Downloader DC Trojan horse

How do I get rid of this thing I've deleted the file But I keep getting a popup from Mcafrees Virus scan telling me it has been detected and cleaned.

Spyder Guest
    try Ad-Aware SE

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Ad aware doesnt work on this one or the "dialer" i had to get AVG and that did the trick, for some reason on this new system with the latest nortons it didnt want to know about it.

Excuse my ignorance whats AVG.

Spyder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Ad aware doesnt work on this one
    Good to know, thanks.

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENMACHINE
    Excuse my ignorance whats AVG.
    Sorry mate its a virus scanner, you can get a limited demo version but youll like it so much you will want the full version. I reccomend downloading it via www.limewire.com.

Prolly got the downloader there. No the problem is I have McAfree VirusScan and it telling me it found this file and it's been cleaned I locate the file and delete, and run mcafrees but I keep getting the popup. According to mcafrees the website this trojan tries to download doesn't exsist anymore. It's the popup from mcafrees thats pissing me off cos it pops up like ecery 30 seconds even if I run the virus scanner. Now its telling me its in the temporary internet folder but I can't find it.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    okay bro I think I can help. First off alot of virus scanners especially Macafee will give you what we call "false positives". I have had many situations like this one where virus scanners say you have a trojan when really what you are dealing with is a spyware program loaded on your system. The reason this happens is because most spyware programs exibit virus tendencies, therefore a virus scanner will pick some of these type of programs us. Here is what you should do.
    First off, download spysweeper, here is a link to a 30 day trial version. http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-...-10301356.html
    Click that link and the program should download. Once you have downloaded it, install it and update it. Once the program is updated, click on "sweep now". And let it run, it may take a bit of time depending on how many files you have. Once it is complete, click the "next" button and then "finish". Before you click the "finish" button, look at the report it gives you, specificially the "Traces Ignored" report. If you have more than 0 there, then you may have to run this program in safe mode to properly disinfect. After you have cleaned your system using spysweeper, then run your crapafee, I mean macafee to see if the trojan still shows up, I bet it doesn't. Also if you would like to download a free virus scanner, we recommend AVG. Here is a link to obtain the free version. Now bare in mind, the free version isn't as complete as the "professional" version you have to pay for. But it will give you some protection from viruses.
    By the way this virus scanner is not a trial version it is a full fledge version, so time will not expire on it as with the spysweeper. However I would purchase spysweeper it is one of the best programs I have seen in the prevention of spyware. PC magazine rated it number one, and I have tested it and use it everyday, and it is by far the best one I have seen.
    Here is a link to the free virus scanner I was telling you about:
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with bro! Good luck!
    Last edited by Sicilian30; 01-05-2005 at 09:15 AM.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Sicilian30 has helped me in the past long ago and knows his stuff...
    Simple as that, I'd listen to him and follow his advice if it was me...
    Haven't seen you on in awhile bro, good to see you posting again...

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Thanks buff, preciate the vote of confidence. If some of you knew what I did for a living that alone would be enough for most of you to trust me when it comes to computers!
    I have been away for a while, trying to build/buy a house. Took about a year to complete, and now I am settled and moved in, so now that the stress is all over, I can relax a bit and start posting more. I missed you guys! Good to see you are still around buffman!

Thanks bros.

Thread Information