Elysium is offline Productive Member

AMD CPU Question.

In the new 64bit AMD chips they have added 8 more GPRs (general-purpose registers), are all GPR's in the new chips 64 bits wide?

No one?

aspengc8 is offline Junior Member
    Yes. 16 total GPR's. 64bits each

Quote Originally Posted by aspengc8
    Yes. 16 total GPR's. 64bits each
    Cheers!

aspengc8 is offline Junior Member
    Question is, when are windows platform apps gonna start recompiling for 64bit?
    I know u can recompile unix/linux and change to 64bit now...but for windows, we probably have to wait until the market is saturated with these new processors.

Quote Originally Posted by aspengc8
    Question is, when are windows platform apps gonna start recompiling for 64bit?
    I know u can recompile unix/linux and change to 64bit now...but for windows, we probably have to wait until the market is saturated with these new processors.
    Wait till the 64bit Version of XP is out later this year. Theres not much point for developers to release their 64bit apps just yet, you have to think about it from a marketing point of view too, mainly focused on domestic users. They will be released and marketed at pretty much the same time.

Oh and i work for MS

seanw is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MESSY_UK
    Wait till the 64bit Version of XP is out later this year. Theres not much point for developers to release their 64bit apps just yet, you have to think about it from a marketing point of view too, mainly focused on domestic users. They will be released and marketed at pretty much the same time.

Oh and i work for MS
    That explains everyting

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    acutally I hear the "longhorn" product by MS is going to take advantage of 64 bit processors and apps. Still in Beta however, I got a copy of it, but never installed. One thing I have learned with MS's beta software is to leave it be! Way to many problems and vulnerbilities. I used to be a beta tester for MS and stopped that very quickly after I had some major issues with one of their previous products.
    The bad thing about beta testing is you almost have to have a "beta" site setup.
    Anyway, I am not an AMD fan at all. I used to be many years ago, but I have had so many, I mean, so many problems with AMD processor with over heating and applications that I just don't even use them anymore. Don't get me wrong I know they rave about them, but if I sat here and told you some of the "issues" I have encountered in the past then it would take the entire length of this thread. I am not sure if AMD Boxed processors started carrying a 3 year warranty, but Pentium boxed processors always have. so I would much rather buy a product that has a longer warranty than buy a product without it.
    <knock on wood> I have never had a problem with a Pentium processor overheating except when the CPU fan was not working properly. With AMD I have had heating problems with new CPU fans, and fans that were in good working order.
    BTW: I have heard about the XP version that is coming out soon, not sure if Microsoft is going to release it under the "XP" title or just be part of the "Longhorn" OS. "Longhorn" is Microsoft's "code" name for the OS, so who knows what they will call it when it is released. They may just call it longhorn (which I doubt). So we will just have to see what the "big giant" decides to do.

PS. I'd like to know what Messy does for MS>>> He he.. <evil grin> I may know you, I know alot of folks that work for MS. I should I have to call them just about every day!
    Good to have you Messy, though, with the business I am in, it is hard to keep up sometimes with MS products. Maybe you can keep us abreast of the new products they are coming out with.
    I am a direct partner with them, and I still don't have time to keep up with all the stuff they are doing. Course we are partners with about 10 other "major" companies as well, so that makes it even more challenging!
    Last edited by Sicilian30; 01-12-2005 at 10:51 AM.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    I can only imagine how bad their betas must be if their stable versions are what they are

manwithin is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian30
    acutally I hear the "longhorn" product by MS is going to take advantage of 64 bit processors and apps. Still in Beta however, I got a copy of it, but never installed. One thing I have learned with MS's beta software is to leave it be! Way to many problems and vulnerbilities. I used to be a beta tester for MS and stopped that very quickly after I had some major issues with one of their previous products.
    The bad thing about beta testing is you almost have to have a "beta" site setup.
    Anyway, I am not an AMD fan at all. I used to be many years ago, but I have had so many, I mean, so many problems with AMD processor with over heating and applications that I just don't even use them anymore. Don't get me wrong I know they rave about them, but if I sat here and told you some of the "issues" I have encountered in the past then it would take the entire length of this thread. I am not sure if AMD Boxed processors started carrying a 3 year warranty, but Pentium boxed processors always have. so I would much rather buy a product that has a longer warranty than buy a product without it.
    <knock on wood> I have never had a problem with a Pentium processor overheating except when the CPU fan was not working properly. With AMD I have had heating problems with new CPU fans, and fans that were in good working order.
    BTW: I have heard about the XP version that is coming out soon, not sure if Microsoft is going to release it under the "XP" title or just be part of the "Longhorn" OS. "Longhorn" is Microsoft's "code" name for the OS, so who knows what they will call it when it is released. They may just call it longhorn (which I doubt). So we will just have to see what the "big giant" decides to do.

PS. I'd like to know what Messy does for MS>>> He he.. <evil grin> I may know you, I know alot of folks that work for MS. I should I have to call them just about every day!
    Good to have you Messy, though, with the business I am in, it is hard to keep up sometimes with MS products. Maybe you can keep us abreast of the new products they are coming out with.
    I am a direct partner with them, and I still don't have time to keep up with all the stuff they are doing. Course we are partners with about 10 other "major" companies as well, so that makes it even more challenging!
    First of all AMD offers the same 3 year warrant that Intel does. If heat is an issue with you why choose Intel? It's not know as the PressHOT for nothing. They leak heat over 100 watts of power p4 3.4 EE compared to amd 64 4000+ 88 watts. And don’t forget the cost 64 4000+ 719.00 to p4 3.4 EE $999.00. I’m not an amd guy I had a couple of intels when they made sense and now I have an amd better price, performance and quieter.
    Last edited by manwithin; 01-13-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian30

Work in the I.T support department in building 3, Reading UK. Although i'll be doing alot of work with other businesses on site in the near future.

Thread Information