XxElitexX is offline Senior Member

AIM and Multi-Player Games dont work on my comp...

Hey everyone. I recently bought a new sony viao vgn-240 laptop and was having some problems. I cant sign on to AIM or play multi-player games. I have readjusted the firewall, but still no luck with it and it just says AIM server cannot be reached and then on the multi-player games it just doesnt show up on any internet servers. I know it isnt my internet connection because I have tried the one at work and at my house. Any Ideas to get this working?

bump

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    check if the ports are open. I dont THINK aim uses port 80 (typical www port). Im not sure on online games. My firewall is set to deny every connection and ask me if i want to allow. When I get on eq2 tonight, ill make a point to see what port it is going out on, but I dont think it goes out on 80 either. So that is one possibility. port 80 is open since you can get to the web, but all others might be closed.

how do I check if my ports are open?

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    get a port scanner...you can download knoppix std and there are a few there. or you can go to this website http://www.gis.usu.edu/cgi-bin/paul/scan this site you put your ip in and it runs a port scan on you. or you can open a cmd line window and type: portqry (xp only) for 2k: ....shoot i forget.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Can you even browse the web? I dont know if youre posting this from work or what.

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    What kind of firewall are you using? What games are you wanting to play?

Later,

CC

rfbulletdude is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XxElitexX
    Hey everyone. I recently bought a new sony viao vgn-240 laptop and was having some problems. I cant sign on to AIM or play multi-player games. I have readjusted the firewall, but still no luck with it and it just says AIM server cannot be reached and then on the multi-player games it just doesnt show up on any internet servers. I know it isnt my internet connection because I have tried the one at work and at my house. Any Ideas to get this working?
    well my roommate has the same comp as u and the same problem with AOL IM, not sure about the games tho. i told him to download an old version of AIM and it worked. just do a search for an old version, or if u have problems, pm me and i'll send it to u. this will fix it, it seems there is a driver compatibility issue for the viao systems. as far as the games go, what exactly are u trying to run, and what errors do you get?

Sypher23l is offline New Member
    Just from reading it sounds like you've specified a dns address on your connection. Make sure everything's set to dhcp on your comp. Any questions on it, just ask.

Thread Information