cjp85 is offline Member

Thinking about building a PC...

I've been reading a lot about building PC's lately and I'd like to build one for the hell of it. I'm not hurtin for cash or anything, but 400 gig hard drives and and 4gigs of ram is a little too much for right now. I'd like to build something with a 250 gig hard drive, DVD burner, and I'd like it to be a Athlon 64 because I have a P4 and wanted to try something else. The only thing I'm not sure about is the motherboard. In the thread that MBH started, motherboards with weird chipsets came up so I would like to avoid those. I'd also like a mobo that I wont have to replace soon, so Serial ATA and PCI Express is important. How are Asus motherboards? Anyone have some recomendations?

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    yeah email me and ill send u the build ur own comp book itll answer all ur questions

Nikolaus777 is offline Junior Member
    get the asus sli mobo
    it has dual pcix slots

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    buy all your shit from pricewatch.com last year i bought a 2.4ghz P4 motherboard w/ 512 mb RAM......80gb harddrive......case, fans, and ati video card (9600) for like 700 bucks.......

SonGoku is offline Associate Member
    Get yourself a a nice little barebone system like a Shutlle. If you wanna go with a AMD Athlon 64 CPU then try the st20g5 or the sn25p. There are easy to build you just have to add a CPU, RAM, DVD burner (or normal DVD drive, which ever you prefer), harddisk and graphic card. They fit really nice on you desk instead of having a big clumsy block on the floor.

When I look around american pc sites, www.Newegg.com seems like the preferred place to shop.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    I've been reading a lot about building PC's lately and I'd like to build one for the hell of it. I'm not hurtin for cash or anything, but 400 gig hard drives and and 4gigs of ram is a little too much for right now. I'd like to build something with a 250 gig hard drive, DVD burner, and I'd like it to be a Athlon 64 because I have a P4 and wanted to try something else. The only thing I'm not sure about is the motherboard. In the thread that MBH started, motherboards with weird chipsets came up so I would like to avoid those. I'd also like a mobo that I wont have to replace soon, so Serial ATA and PCI Express is important. How are Asus motherboards? Anyone have some recomendations?
    if u r not hurting for cash , DONT BUILD ONE , by a freakin ALIENWARE AURORA (AMD ATHLON 64), i did and never been happier ............

Hittman is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOAIB
    if u r not hurting for cash , DONT BUILD ONE , by a freakin ALIENWARE AURORA (AMD ATHLON 64), i did and never been happier ............
    orrrrr nuild ur own for that price... for the price of an alieanware i could make u a system that would put an alienware to shame...

YVR
    YVR is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaus777
    get the asus sli mobo
    it has dual pcix slots
    Definitely!

One of the better SLI boards available.

FYI the DFI-SLI has the best performance overall..

The asus A8N sli is a great board i'm running it atm with dual 6800Gts, AMD 3500+, 2ghz pc3200 & 3 Serial ata drives. The graphics are bar none & the speed is great.

Thread Information