MBaraso is offline Retired Mod

Reinstalling Windows 98

I do part time computer repairs on the side and I have to reinstall this person's system that uses windows 98
    Anyway...I have never done this before, as they did not teach us this in college so can anyone give me any helpful tips or links that will show me exactly how to do this?
    I googled it and found many different ways to do this so i'm looking for an easy, fast way to do this without too many problems.
    Thanks,

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBaraso
    I do part time computer repairs on the side and I have to reinstall this person's system that uses windows 98
    Anyway...I have never done this before, as they did not teach us this in college so can anyone give me any helpful tips or links that will show me exactly how to do this?
    I googled it and found many different ways to do this so i'm looking for an easy, fast way to do this without too many problems.
    Thanks,

I'd go straight to the source: Microsoft.com.

Are you reinstalling from floppy disk or CD-Rom? The only thing that I can think of that would help is, if you are booting from CD-ROM, you'll need to F12 at start-up and set the boot drive to D :

Otherwise, the reinstalation disks should guide you through startup. The only decision you may need to make is whether to use FATs or NTFS filing system.

jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    98? Why not upgrade it to XP?

If the computer is that FUBARed, you might need to format the hard drive. All of it can be done through Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by jmt
    98? Why not upgrade it to XP?

If the computer is that FUBARed, you might need to format the hard drive. All of it can be done through Windows.
    They don't wanna buy another computer untill xmas

And yeah i'm going to complety reformat then reinstall it but from what I'm reading it's going to take hrs if not a whole day. So here's my next question...They want me to give them a flat rate, which I usually charge by the hr so what would you guys charge to do something like this? Keep in mind I'm doing this in their home which is a 20 min drive from my house. And not that it really matters but these people are very wealthy...The husband is a Dr. and the wife also works lol Which is really crazy when u think about it considering they have the $ to just buy a new computer. I'm thinking $250 for this job?

They don't wanna buy another computer untill xmas

And yeah i'm going to complety reformat then reinstall it but from what I'm reading it's going to take hrs if not a whole day. So here's my next question...They want me to give them a flat rate, which I usually charge by the hr so what would you guys charge to do something like this? Keep in mind I'm doing this in their home which is a 20 min drive from my house. And not that it really matters but these people are very wealthy...The husband is a Dr. and the wife also works lol Which is really crazy when u think about it considering they have the $ to just buy a new computer. I'm thinking $250 for this job?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Reformating sucks because the damn thing does it's job for an hour, than needs a command, then continues reformatting or repartitioning for another hour. It's all hands off, but at the same time, you need to be there to push a button every now and then. It's a real hassle.

How long do u think this will take? 5 hrs sound about right?

How long do u think this will take? 5 hrs sound about right?

Last time I did mine, it took 4 hours. That was XP.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    Last time I did mine, it took 4 hours. That was XP.
    Yeah..and thats if you don't run into any problems. I think 4-5hrs of my time is worth $250.

chino777 is offline Junior Member

Smile

How long it will take will depend on what kind of hardware is present.

i'm looking for an easy, fast way to do this without too many problems
    .. you can't say that in general, it depends on in which condition the computer is. Does the system already boot from cd-rom or do you need a startup disk etc. etc....
    Usually installing Win98 doesn't differ much from installing WinXP.
    Some pages that might help you ..
    How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System
    or
    Guide to Installing Windows98\ME
    or
    The Essential Guide to Installing Win98

What kind of "F Button" you have to push to get into the bios is differing from producer to producer. In some cases it is F12 or F8 or F2 etc. ... .
    If you are not sure about that press all of them at startup (but that may looks strange to the people around you ).

... you can save a lot of time(!) if you choose "quickformat" instead of "regular format" during the formating procedure ...

mircosoft:" If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged."
    Last edited by chino777; 09-03-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Latino~Heat is offline Junior Member
    ***** VERY IMPORTANT *****
    Before installing Win98, get alist of all HARDWARE on computer,
    Sound, NIC, Mobo, everything and have Drivers handy on CD "burnt to CD"
    win98 is not so good w/ reinstallin drivers and NIC is one of them..therefor u couldn't access Internet to install,update system drivers and such and you'll be shit outta luck.
    I do this Full time so, always make sure to have drivers on hand before even wipin disk.
    L~H

vcon13 is offline New Member
    Take all of these free tools with you, they will help you streamline your installation and much more. You can even use to hack passwords, if a user forgot password on nt4/win2k/winxp systems. Windows 98 can be cracked in about 2 seconds.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_admini...password.htm#1

*** Admin/Engineer/Developer
    Last edited by vcon13; 09-03-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Sapper is offline New Member
    1. Ensure you have drivers for everything. Sound card, Modem/NIC, video card- even the Mobo.
    2. Have a boot disk, a win 98 boot (floppy). Boot to it, "Start computer with CDROM access"
    3. I wouldn't bother with the Fdisk crap. Just "Format C:: and be done with it.

4. Navigate to the CD and type "Setup /ie /is"- that'll save you from making the startup disks and doing the whole scandisk bullshit.

Shouldn't take more than an hour and a half, at most.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I would just put 2000 in. Do you have a copy of Windows 2000?

BTW... how's it going MBaraso... long time no see.

-Arthur

Thanks for all the help guys but they opted to buy a new computer. Bout time anyway...

Arthur good to see ya too. SHoot me a pm if ya wanna chat.

Thanks guys!

dirtyvegas is offline Senior Member
    ide just go to the house, grab the tower and return with it the next day. I hate doin PC repair in home, they always hover over your shoulder till your done, talkin your ear off. And you can upgrade 98 to xp from windows site.

doctor hasnt bought a new comp sence 98 WTF.?

~dv~

Thread Information