B Rabbit is offline New Member

cant use Are's at school

My school doesnt allow us to use Ares or any other p2p file sharing to download music. If were caught having it they shut off my port for acouple of days. Is there any way around this? I was looking at the firefox post and saw you could download the switchproxy tool, but would that help, or not because i have to go through my schools server first? Not being able to update my mp3 player i bring down to the gym is driving me nuts.

use a home computer

That doesnt help, nor is it an option. Somebody else have a better solution?

use any computer not on campus...you have friends and family off campus don't you?

Yeah, i got friends off campus, everyonce in a while i'll give them a thumb drive to store music on to. Also, I've been using Itunes and MyTunes to tranfer music from other people's playlist to mine but I am wondering if there is a way to use my computer on the schools network to download music from aress or other p2p network without being detected. Maybe it isn't possible.

Bro, forget about it... most schools, public libraries, even work office networks block the ports to most popular peer to peer file sharing programs. Some even block IM chat ports (so no MSN...) and FTP file transfer ports.

Also keep in mind that the net-admins on most of those networks keep an eye on who does what and have monitoring programs that raise red flags when a certain user does certain things.

There is little or no easy way to get around that.

Red

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    there really is no easy way to do it, although its technically possible to rent a linux/unix shell off campus and forward ares traffic through port 80 (or via secure shell (ssh) tunnels in the worst case).

i used to do exactly that when i was at uni, although not with ares traffic, but for a host of other reasons. the down side is its definitely slower (particularly so with ssh tunnels) and not easy to set up.
    Last edited by weightshead; 11-05-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks Red.

Thread Information