spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    depends on what you want it to do..

www.pricewatch.com

that's the shit..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    usually the most expensive one!

I'm personally an ATI man myself. and go with a PCI express if your PC has that available.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    what do you want to do with it?

yep.. the pci express ...

and it really depends on what you want to do with it..

dual core everything..

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

zOaib is offline VET
    i wanna play the following games with it

BATTLEFIELD 2
    F.E.A.R
    QUAKE 4
    NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED

all on highest settings

i like ATI myself i currently got a X800 XT platinum edition 256mb agp

it runs those games fine but not fine enough with 4XAA , meaning it runs them decent .......... looking for something that can eat those games well.

how much are you willing to spend

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    how much are you willing to spend
    500-600 ................... i am looking at that new x1800 xt 512mb by ATI ........... i have read reviews about it , and that thing overclocks real sweet ......... some freak used DRY ICE for cooling and overclocked it from its original 625/1500 core/mem to 980 / 1875 ..... scoring 14050 on 3dmark05 , which is higher than two nvidia gtx 7800 in sli mode at stock speeds ......... lol

but i aint gonna go that crazy , but i like how Ati card overclock , the x800 i have was a x800 asus pro vivo , which i unlocked the extra 4 pixel pipes on modding it to a 16p and by flashing the bios of a x800 XT PE on to it ........ and i can run it at 540/580 clocks whereas the default clock of an X800 XT PE is only 520/560 ........................

i was kinda iffy since nvidia came out with their new monster 7800 gtx 512mb , so i am dwindeling b/w Ati and Nvidia .............although i have never owned an nvidia so i really dont know from experience.

zOaib is offline VET
    just looked into the x1800 xl 256mb , reviews are good , and with sufficient cooling it can be overclocked pretty high .............. and its only 359 dollars , compared to 579 for the xt 512mb .................hmmmm ..

anyone knows much about these new cards , cause if i dont have to i dont want to spend too much , and work with something less but still quite powerful !

has anyone tried running these games on the thew

extreme processors??

Pentium 4 P4 3.2GHz EE (Extreme Edition) 2MB 800MHz Socket 478 - OEM SL7AA w/ 90 Day Warranty CPU
    Dealer # - CPP4-101310
    Man # -SL7AASL7AA

Althought the video card plays a big roll in graphics, the dual channel of the motherboard, along with the sata drives, and the pipes should make a big difference..

Rules

Look into the geforce 6800 ultra.

The pentium extreme processors are good but really amd's x2 and fx blow them all away. not to say it's a bad processor, but amd is the way to go imo.

of course I have an old p4 ~1.3ghz so not like my computer rocks or anything but don't have much time for games these days.

jjalison is offline Junior Member

Smile Ati X850

New engine with true 16x pci-express. only a couple x800s actually run 16x.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by jjalison
    New engine with true 16x pci-express. only a couple x800s actually run 16x.

well these are my specs , i am a weekend gamer well one day of the week when i have complete protection from my wife not to interfere even if i play for hours that day , its mine and its for gaming ,

ALIENWARE AURORA 7500

ASUS A8V DELUXE
    AMD ATHLON 64 FX 53 (OverClocked @ 2.6 ghz) Liquid cooling
    3 GB CORSAIR XMS PRO LED SERIES DDR 400
    ASUS X800 PRO VIVO 256 AGP 12Pipes (450/475...core/mem) ---> Bios Flashed >> X800 XT PE 16Pipes Unlocked (540/560..core/mem) (3DMark05 = 6200 )

i just played the new NEED 4 SPEED most Wanted

i can get 4xAA , 6xAF @ 1280x1024 resolution with everything turned HIGH ...........

well i guess i can live with that for now , i dunno why i thought the x800 wont be able to run this game OH WELL !!

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Nice, liquid cooling is sweet. I gotta 6800gt oc and couldn't be happier with it.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    Nice, liquid cooling is sweet. I gotta 6800gt oc and couldn't be happier with it.
    friend has one , and he has a phase change cooling unit on that thing , overclocked it mad using that , its a nice card !

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    Look into the geforce 6800 ultra.

The pentium extreme processors are good but really amd's x2 and fx blow them all away. not to say it's a bad processor, but amd is the way to go imo.

of course I have an old p4 ~1.3ghz so not like my computer rocks or anything but don't have much time for games these days.

amd cpus are the king of the hill when it comes to multimedia and games processing power . however intel cpus are good for hardcore or u can say commercial graphics and media editing ( actually because some of the major software developers havent made them compatible to amd cpus for now , but gettin there ) for now for mainstream , enthusiasts , gamers and a lot of business application needs , AMD is ROCKSOLID !

the extreme edition intel gaming cpu that came out is all talk and no muscle , it couldnt even match up to the amd 64 4000+ which is on the 4th spot after fx53 , fx55, fx57 cpus.

zOaib is offline VET
    abotu the 6800 ultra , it is a nice card , but it has no muscle when u wanna use 2x or 4x AA , in games which any gamer would use if they r paying 400-500 bucks for a video card ................ myx800 radeon scores 6200 on 3dmark05 , whereas the 6800 ultra can only get 4800 points on that benchmark .............. radeons are solid GPUs , check the link below , the freaks i was talking about , used liquid nitrogen to overclock a x1800 512mb (new radeon card) to reach clocks that easily beat the new nvidia 7800 gtx 256mb in SLI (for those of u who dont know SLI is combining the power of 2 cards hooked up )

http://www.muropaketti.com/3dmark/r520/ghz/

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    since you have an agp slot you won't be able to run a pci express card. I have the agp X800 XL and it runs great. Plays Battlefield 2 at 1600x1200 and looks smoooooth
    hope this helps

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaGetBig
    since you have an agp slot you won't be able to run a pci express card. I have the agp X800 XL and it runs great. Plays Battlefield 2 at 1600x1200 and looks smoooooth
    hope this helps
    thx for the tip

i just upgraded my sys to the following specs (since nothing more is commin out on AGP , except the x850 )

ALIENWARE AURORA 7500
    Asus SLI Premium
    Athlon 64 4000+ "clawhammer"
    4 GB Corsair XMS Pro series Led (pc3200)
    Asus x850 XT PE (PCI EXPRS)

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Very impressive system, that should fly. Congrats

tbrocato is offline Member
    I am running DUAL 7800 GTX's RESPECT!

matt1234 is offline New Member
    msi 6800 gt

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrocato
    hell yeah , sli man , awesome ................... i actually got a test sapphire x1800 xt froma friend of mine will test it out this weekend .

Flexor is offline Banned
    In terms of value per frame rate, the Radeon X800XL is the best. Its much cheaper than the other similar X850s and yet its got very similar performance. 16 pixel pipelines with 1 ghz GDDR3 is plenty of graphics power. Its not as powerful as the X1 series but who wants to pay the earth??

I personally don't bother with nVidia. They are great for high frame rates at high resolutions, but ATI beats them in terms of frame rate at high resolutions with AA and FSAF which is what you want for visual quality...

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The 7800GTX are the leading GPU's and eVGA's 7800GTX seems to be the leading consumer video card - they recently got the Maximum PC Kick Ass award. ATI has nothing against NVIDIA these days... check the bench marks.

I got an Asus 6800GT but a pair of 7800GTX is what gets you bragging rights these days 7800's came out like a month after I bought the 6800GT... you can never keep up with it all!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrocato
    Pussy! j/k dude - post a pic of you hog here: Who has a pimped out computer rig?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    ATI has nothing against NVIDIA these days... check the bench marks.
    Your 6800 is worse than my X800XL when it comes to playing certain video games with the AA and FSAA turned up, whereas yours is better at other games. It all depends on what shaders they are using, the different way the game was put together etc.

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...l/index.x?pg=7

Perhaps you would like to 'check the bench marks', here the X800 wins, but in another one yours wins...

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...l/index.x?pg=9

3dMark05 is not a fair assessment, there were rumours of fixing back a few years ago and it seems their benchmarks are more suited to the raw pixel pushing power of nVidia. I prefer running games with the eye candy turned on, hence the ATI choice. In 2004 HL-2 had the most advanced shader modelling and ATI won there...

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Your 6800 is worse than my X800XL when it comes to playing certain video games with the AA and FSAA turned up, whereas yours is better at other games. It all depends on what shaders they are using, the different way the game was put together etc.

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...l/index.x?pg=7

Perhaps you would like to 'check the bench marks', here the X800 wins, but in another one yours wins...

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...l/index.x?pg=9

3dMark05 is not a fair assessment, there were rumours of fixing back a few years ago and it seems their benchmarks are more suited to the raw pixel pushing power of nVidia. I prefer running games with the eye candy turned on, hence the ATI choice. In 2004 HL-2 had the most advanced shader modelling and ATI won there...
    I never said my 6800GT was the top NVIDIA performer (the 7800GTX is)... but two in SLI will smoke the X800... and out perform one 7800GTX... but thats where my cross roads are at... get a second 6800GT or sell it off and get one 7800GTX with an upgrade option to run two of those later on? The most I really venture into with gaming is picking up hookers and killing helpless civilians in GTA... so i might just do two 6800GT's for the sake of running an SLI system...

I don't think ATI has anything out that matches the pipelines and processor that the 7800GTX has - but I do know they have nothing as powerful... even if you try and unlock some of your pipes... NVIDIA is cleaning house. Their SLI option for running two cards killed ATI this year.

You can tell me all day long that ATI makes better GPU's but I won't budge that NVIDIA is the leader in GPU performance and a better overall investment - especially if you have an SLI ready motherboard...

BTW - you have a really good GPU... but NVIDIA is killing the market these days...

Flexor is offline Banned
    I never said you implied your 6800GT was the top nvidia performer, I was merely comparing it to the X800 which it was put up against back in 2004.

I think ATI had Nvidia last year, but you're right, this year they are running out of steam and nvidia with their 24 pixel pipelines (is that right?) is really going ahead. As I didn't want to spend too much money, I got a top of the line card from Dec 2004 that at THAT time was the fastest available with its 16 pipelines etc...

The dual setup is just amazing though...

Back in 2002-3 nvidia was a joke, the 9500 Pro, 9700 Pro and then the 9600 Pro and 9800 Pro reigned supreme. Now nvidia has burst ATI's bubble...
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-23-2005 at 02:48 PM.

I never said you implied your 6800GT was the top nvidia performer, I was merely comparing it to the X800 which it was put up against back in 2004.

I think ATI had Nvidia last year, but you're right, this year they are running out of steam and nvidia with their 24 pixel pipelines (is that right?) is really going ahead. As I didn't want to spend too much money, I got a top of the line card from Dec 2004 that at THAT time was the fastest available with its 16 pipelines etc...

The dual setup is just amazing though...

Back in 2002-3 nvidia was a joke, the 9500 Pro, 9700 Pro and then the 9600 Pro and 9800 Pro reigned supreme. Now nvidia has burst ATI's bubble...
    Yeah - it is hard to keep up with it all. The 7800GTX are all 24 pipes... here is the one Maximum PC editors like...

They keep leap froggin' each other. Brand name recognition goes a long way - but it can only hold a tech company up for so long. Intel is also getting killed by the AMD Athlon and Opteron CPU's. I got a Athlon64 +3700 to beat an Intel 3.8Ghz in a few bench marks using Sandra. I have 'er overclocked (and totally stable) to 2.6Ghz (stock 2.2), but thats still amazing for a CPU that costs about $700 less! NVIDIA is killing ATI and AMD is making Intel look like some Fisher Price fools - their proc technology is running faster and cooler than the Intel line...

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Yeah - it is hard to keep up with it all. The 7800GTX are all 24 pipes... here is the one Maximum PC editors like...

They keep leap froggin' each other. Brand name recognition goes a long way - but it can only hold a tech company up for so long. Intel is also getting killed by the AMD Athlon and Opteron CPU's. I got a Athlon64 +3700 to beat an Intel 3.8Ghz in a few bench marks using Sandra. I have 'er overclocked (and totally stable) to 2.6Ghz (stock 2.2), but thats still amazing for a CPU that costs about $700 less! NVIDIA is killing ATI and AMD is making Intel look like some Fisher Price fools - their proc technology is running faster and cooler than the Intel line...
    What do you think about Moore's law? Its all fallen apart for Intel now, perhaps not AMD. The future appears to be all about dual processor 64bit, more of everything, smaller everything. I suppose Moore's law could still apply, just not to mhz frequencies once everyone goes to dual processors. Perhaps it will be some other arbitrary figure doubling every 18 months?

What do you think about Moore's law? Its all fallen apart for Intel now, perhaps not AMD. The future appears to be all about dual processor 64bit, more of everything, smaller everything. I suppose Moore's law could still apply, just not to mhz frequencies once everyone goes to dual processors. Perhaps it will be some other arbitrary figure doubling every 18 months?
    Intel's new line will sport a cooler CPU frequency (and not run as high as 3.8Ghz) but they will probably take a beating from AMD on this. AMD's on-die memory controller for super fast "FSB" speeds and their overall cooler chip design is ready for multi core and 64 bit aps - has been for several years. Intel is now just adapting to the fact that the future is multi-core... and trying to make more effecient core processors.

But yeah, multiple cores are going to be the next big thing... but it will probably be a slower evolution because the software developers will need to rewrite their programs to make better use of them. Same thing with the new 64bit processors... really only Linux distrobutions totally supports this - I tired 64bit Windows XP Pro and found a lot of my drivers not working and system programs like Norton unable to install (the emilation mode won't help software that goes deep into the registry - like utility aps)... so I went back to 32bit on my 64bit proc...

Its funny - once a tech company gets off the offense side of technological development, they soon find themselves playing catch-up. Tech stocks and make you some good money - but you have to keep up with their field and company involvements.

As it is in the first quarter 2006 - AMD is building faster and cooler CPU's... and NVIDIA's building bad ass GPU's with SLI support (and their new drivers will finally allow different GPU brand names to be used too)...

TAPPER is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like I made a decent choice with the 6800. Can't wait to get this thing put together and see how she runs.

Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE Sccket 775
    3GHz Pentium 4
    1 GHz DDR

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    7800 GTx 512 if you can find one

SLI or crossfire

that is the BEST you can get at the moment

spend like near 1700 though for both = retarded IMO

Thread Information