Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member

Personal Training...

I wanna get into personal trainng, and am currently looking into getting certified. NE one have suggestions on books, or dvd sets that r good to prepare for the test. Right now cant really afford to stop working n take classes at a local college(if i have to i will). Ne suggestions, or helpful tips would be AWSOME, my AIM name is Machmood869, feel free to hit me up, thanx again, im gonna cross post this, hope no one gets pissed

Ive done some research, if i am correct all you need to do is past the certification test, and all these courses im seeing are all just Prep so you can pass the examine?? Also is a college degree in physical fitness, or something like this needed??

tiger909 is offline Senior Member
    post in the personal trainers lounge bro

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    I believe in some gyms the degree IS needed. just go to college anyway and get the degree. most jobs now just look to see if you HAVE a degree in anything. kinda stupid i know, but thats life. I wanted to get into personall training but i heard you work off of commision only. sorry, i cant rely on that for a full time job as well as going to college for it?

I know i they used to ahve one, i cant find the personal trainers lounge now??

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    IMO personal training kinda sucks. I'm an ACSM health and fitness instructor and I have not done shit with it as of yet.

I mean im really passionate about learning about dieting/nutrition and about why n how certain routines work. I think i would REALLY enjoy working with people(prob males to be honest) n helping them out getting in shape, routines, diet etc. IDK i think its something i could get pasionate about. I think id wanna be more of a 1 on 1 guy, for serious people, doing diet, exercise, the whole shibang, lol not the guy at the gym standing next to a 40 year old women on the treadmill monitoring her heart rate, hah dont wanna offend ne one, but id like to get involved with serious 1 on one training

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by big k.l.g
    IMO personal training kinda sucks. I'm an ACSM health and fitness instructor and I have not done shit with it as of yet.
    Yeah, it's all about business and creating it and where it's going to come from.

I never wanted to be confined to a gym or two with my services, so I was lucky enough to be able to parlay that into what I now do on the Net.

There weren't any jobs I really liked, so I created my own.

Good luck, it's a very fun career if you do it right!

~SC~

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm going for personal training but I am going to school for strength and conditioning so afterwards I can get certified. Most places are looking for a 4 year degree in something but as long as I have my S&C degree I can become a trainer at a college or any type of sports team if one on one dosent go my way.

Yea i hear ya, im not really looking into getting into a sports related job, or nething like that.....But can someone fill me in on the process, so like once i get certified i can work at a gym like NYSC or a golds as a trainer legally. But obviously people wouldnt hire me with only that, but is that the first step? im prob goingback to school in sept n get an associates(2 year degree)

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    I mean im really passionate about learning about dieting/nutrition and about why n how certain routines work. I think i would REALLY enjoy working with people(prob males to be honest) n helping them out getting in shape, routines, diet etc. IDK i think its something i could get pasionate about. I think id wanna be more of a 1 on 1 guy, for serious people, doing diet, exercise, the whole shibang, lol not the guy at the gym standing next to a 40 year old women on the treadmill monitoring her heart rate, hah dont wanna offend ne one, but id like to get involved with serious 1 on one training
    I could see myself doing exactly that, this starts to interest me more and more. Exactly what you said..more advanced people, outlining a diet and training, and monitoring them etc. Let us know what you find out

Don't underestimate your power in making your OWN business in your area, and NOT having to work for someone else. Flyers, announcements, gym relations, public postings, college service boards, etc.

Be an "Ultimate Hustler" and you can make it happen. Perhaps not overnight, no, but w/dedication and persistence and it being something you REALLY want to do, you can succeed.

~SC~

thanx swole, i appreciate it. My question to you, or ne one is what are the first steps into gettin in this field??

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    there are a ton of great certs and a ton of shitty certs, some of the good ones i know of are......NASM, ISSA, ACE, ACSM. there are many more to choose from just google it bruh

yea i did, but theres only so much i can find, is there like one main cert for personal training, or are there diff certs for diff aspects, i wanna get certified in Nutrition as well,or something along those lines. I called a place near me that has all the certs n shit, its a specialty school the deals with just this, im going to an open house soon but i wanna go there with alittle knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    thanx swole, i appreciate it. My question to you, or ne one is what are the first steps into gettin in this field??
    Set up your goals first, what you want to accomplish in like a storyboard fashion.

Then, go over each goal and what it takes to achieve it.

After you have that, you simply start addressing each goal in the order you wrote them down, utilizing the tools that are needed for each one.

~SC~

HAHAH this is so funny, I appreciate all ur help, but what i mean bye my first steps are...
    1. What re the required certs to become a personal trainer
    2. Can i get 2 year degrees in related fields i.e diet,strenght,(not sure what the exact names are) i dont have ne college credits , is it possible to get dregrees in these fields without having to go through all the Gen ed stuff like english, math n that kinda thing

theres a school bye me, ill post the link, that im gonna go stop in see waht there all about, its a strictly fitness place, tell me what u guys think. I know u dont need to take ne classes for the personal trainer cert, u just have to pass the test, so u can buy books n study urself, but are there other certs where u need to take classes for?

That's the thing, a certification doesn't guarantee you anything but "being certified". It doesn't guarantee work, which is why I tend to think more about making my own job and reaching those in need myself, rather than having someone do that for me. I was training people well before I was even "technically" certified, and it makes no difference as long as you know what you are doing. There are some who train others who don't have any certification (lots of bb'ers I know do this) but they know their shit! They are known by word of mouth, having built a client base on their own, etc. Alternatively, there are those w/certifications that not only don't look the part (which says alot about your business) but don't have the personality to work w/people and also have to look for employment, to which at times there may be none.

So, in helping others and doing what you wish to do, don't forget about how to do things yourself and make your own name.

~SC~

AHAH well i know basicas, bu ti really wanna know my shit, technical stuff, the physiology of the body, why things work, n diet i dont know shit, just basic knowledge, lol im not qualified at all!! heres the link to the school i was looking at, it gives u 100 hours in diet, 200 in training, and all this other stuff, its 6 months i believe but its almost 6G's!!!!!! N swole i get what ur saying about building clientel on ur own, but right now my main concern is learning , learning, learning
    http://www.nationalpersonaltraininginstitute.com/

Hey, that's great! I hope that it turns out to really work for you.

My favorite part of that site was the section below, so make sure you take
    advantage of that while you are there, in the early stages. Look into what you
    are going to do after you graduate right now, and then go and get familiar w/those areas and practices even before you are "eligible" to be considered for a position after graduation.

Get ahead of everyone and get that paper!

~SC~
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Job Placement

Job Placement Assistance is Available to all Graduates of our Personal Fitness Training Program

We employ a full-time job placement coordinator who maintains a listing of current jobs available, locates potential employers, and assists graduates with job placement.

Every effort is made to help you find suitable employment. However, we cannot promise or guarantee job placement to anyone.

I found out that at the ballys near me, they will hire you as a trainer with no cert, n they send u 3 times a week to one of their schools for 6 months to get certified, FOR FREE, only prob is i think the cert isnt nationally accredited, but who cares, ill be getting the knowledge, Working in the field i like, gettinga free education, making money, building a clientel EARLY in the quest, im really siked about this, ill prob take a national test right when im done with the bally course n try n get nationally acrdited, thanx for all ur help guys, IM STOKED!@

Thread Information