keth'naab is offline Associate Member

Best anti-virus and anti-spyware proggies out there

Preferably the free ones.

I know that MS anti-spy, spybot and Ad-aware are freebies, but what about anti-virus?

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    The ones you mentioned are the best ones. I also have AVG added which I adore. It helps keep the spyware and viruses away
    Last edited by Prada; 01-01-2006 at 07:28 PM.

keth'naab is offline Associate Member
    AVC?

can't find an english link to that. :P

A little help?

SoulCard is offline Associate Member
    AVG is good, free and updating antivirus software..

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    **** avg. i had major viruses on my pc and it didnt find any. i downloaded a stolen copy of spyware doctor and i had so many malware shits on there. its one of the best progs out.

I like AVG b/c unlike the other programs, it would really prevent the viruses from getting back on my comp. Now to detect the viruses it isnt the best for sure but then again thats not the reason I have it.

mg316 is offline Associate Member
    norton anti virus is a good program

Flexor is offline Banned
    Norton Internet Security is the best. It is a personal firewall and an anti-virus program. Whenever another computer tries to hack you it is blocked, whenever a program on your computer tries to connect to the internet it is blocked, and it asks you whether you want to allow it. It can also track blocked computers by their IP address to their location anywhere around the world. Once Norton blocked LucasArts from Denver, bloody amazing!! It ensures maximum protection.

TAPPER is offline Junior Member
    I have to agree with Flexor, Norton seems to have really pulled it together in the last couple years. Up to the 2003 version it was hit or miss IMO, but the 2004 performance was outstanding. 2006 is more user friendly, doesn't have the conflict issues with other programs from prior years, and is doing a great job so far.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Disagree with those that like Norton. I work in the IT department and having too many company wide outbreaks we have done away with Norton as it was not catching some of the viruses dispite the virus database being updated, and was causing boot up problems with the Non NT Kernal workstations. If you want a firewall then use a dedicated app for that or a hardware firewall, antivirus software for that, malware removal, etc. An all in one solution from every product I have tried, and I think its pretty much everything on the market will be lacking in certain areas. What is the best depends mostly on the OS you are currently running. Also are you looking for just anti-virus and spyware removal or are you looking for a firewall? If you are getting spyware on your computer then you need to look into a better firewall unless you are installing a lot of junk that you know could potentially contain it.
    Last edited by doby48; 01-11-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Flexor is offline Banned
    The main reason I used a combined package is because I hardly ever get viruses and I didn't want to increase the boot-up time of my comp with a load of programs that startup with windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    The main reason I used a combined package is because I hardly ever get viruses and I didn't want to increase the boot-up time of my comp with a load of programs that startup with windows.
    Actually that depends on the applications you are using. Some applications take up more memory then you realize and there are some all in one programs that take up more memory than having say 4 different ones.

For example, you can use AVG for Anit-Virus... Kerio Firewall... AdAware for spyware removal. If you run the spyware removal manually then you don't need it to load everytime and keeping spyware removal applications in TSR often times will slow your computer down. Anti-Virus applications depend on if you are using their firewall or not, and can run slower if you do. Certain firewalls like ZoneAlarm for example, take up a lot of memory not only the low level TSR you will find in firewalls like Kerio.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    Actually that depends on the applications you are using. Some applications take up more memory then you realize and there are some all in one programs that take up more memory than having say 4 different ones.

For example, you can use AVG for Anit-Virus... Kerio Firewall... AdAware for spyware removal. If you run the spyware removal manually then you don't need it to load everytime and keeping spyware removal applications in TSR often times will slow your computer down. Anti-Virus applications depend on if you are using their firewall or not, and can run slower if you do. Certain firewalls like ZoneAlarm for example, take up a lot of memory not only the low level TSR you will find in firewalls like Kerio.
    Yeah I don't have things start automatically with windows. I've also turned off all the unnecessary processes in computer management (right click my computer and click manage).

Yeah I don't have things start automatically with windows. I've also turned off all the unnecessary processes in computer management (right click my computer and click manage).
    I assume you mean extra stuff start with windows because things like Anti-Virus and Firewalls (if you don't have a hardware based) must start with windows to be effective. There are other applications that do start with windows as well such as MS Office related, IM applications, etc that a lot of people leave. Pluse a few windows based applications that can only be removed by manually going into the registry (which I do).

Flexor is offline Banned
    I assume you mean extra stuff start with windows because things like Anti-Virus and Firewalls (if you don't have a hardware based) must start with windows to be effective. There are other applications that do start with windows as well such as MS Office related, IM applications, etc that a lot of people leave. Pluse a few windows based applications that can only be removed by manually going into the registry (which I do).
    The anti-virus and firewall is best starting with windows, you have to run it sometime. Other rubbish to do with graphics card toolpanels and 'steam' - the platform that allows the game HL-2 to run, I stop all that starting with windows. Another example is hardware monitors...

The anti-virus and firewall is best starting with windows, you have to run it sometime. Other rubbish to do with graphics card toolpanels and 'steam' - the platform that allows the game HL-2 to run, I stop all that starting with windows. Another example is hardware monitors...
    Monitors? Normally this doesn't happen unless you install the software associated with them, which I never do. The driver of course is necessary (or something compatible even default in a lot of cases). Anti-Virus and firewall under normal conditions should not need to manually be run as any good anti-virus will monitor files as they change since it sits in TSR, only need to manually run if its not picking things up or if you have it set to not automatically check for updates. Firewall applications also running in TSR will not need to manually be run (other than to open the UI for changing/setting of additional rules). If you aren't familiar with the registry and digging through there the one best tool for showing you all of the stuff that starts with your computer is HijackThis its a free application and you can see really how much stuff starts with your computer. Computers do need a certain amout of items to start up but not all of them are needed. If you run the HijackThis application, which you can do without any damage, just make sure you know what you are doing before actually removing any of the entries.

Quote Originally Posted by keth'naab
    Preferably the free ones.

I know that MS anti-spy, spybot and Ad-aware are freebies, but what about anti-virus?
    Oh and by the way, MS anti-spy is not a good application... Ad-aware and SpyBot both have their shortcommings and it is actually best to have both Ad-aware and Spybot on your computer and run them both.

If you are looking for free Anti-Virus then AVG is the way to go. There are some other free ones but they are not very good. If you want to pay for anti-virus then there are others out there to pay for but it depends on your OS and configuration as to what would perform the best.

LaughNowCryLater is offline New Member
    what about the latest version of mcAfee i did have norton but dont like it one bit, i would give my reason's but im sure there will be alot of people here giving out info

Quote Originally Posted by LaughNowCryLater
    what about the latest version of mcAfee i did have norton but dont like it one bit, i would give my reason's but im sure there will be alot of people here giving out info
    McAfee is a good one based on available resources (resource hog if you have limited RAM available, if you have a lot of RAM you don't really notice it much). McAfee is not free though.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Monitors? Normally this doesn't happen unless you install the software associated with them, which I never do. The driver of course is necessary (or something compatible even default in a lot of cases). Anti-Virus and firewall under normal conditions should not need to manually be run as any good anti-virus will monitor files as they change since it sits in TSR, only need to manually run if its not picking things up or if you have it set to not automatically check for updates. Firewall applications also running in TSR will not need to manually be run (other than to open the UI for changing/setting of additional rules). If you aren't familiar with the registry and digging through there the one best tool for showing you all of the stuff that starts with your computer is HijackThis its a free application and you can see really how much stuff starts with your computer. Computers do need a certain amout of items to start up but not all of them are needed. If you run the HijackThis application, which you can do without any damage, just make sure you know what you are doing before actually removing any of the entries.
    I installed the hardware probe so I could check on the readings when I wanted to. If it was uninstalled it would be pretty impractical, I just make sure it doesn't start up with windows which is the default. I don't reall need the HijackThis program, windows has its own function for disabling the BS processes. I'll have it look at it though, there may be more I can do.

Susguy is offline Associate Member
    nod32 is a good one. not a resource hog

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    I like Norton 2005 A/V, Mcafee, and TrendMicro. But stay away from Norton 200X System Works and suites. They tend to be bloatware IMHO. And most of the newer A/V software has built in protection from spyware as well. Ditch any software based firewall if you can in exchange for a hardware based one. The problem with any software based firewall beyond just memory and system resources usage is that if the OS itself is compromised your software based firewall is rendered useless. Linksys, Netgear, or any brand of hardware based statefull firewall is the best bet. I personally have been pretty happy with the MS Anti-spyware software. However, keep in mind it is beta, so there are some bugs in it. Good luck.

thale is offline New Member

Smile

I use a NetGear wireless modem/router/firewall, with Norton Internet Security (AVS and firewall) with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D.

Also, remember to keep your operating system up to date with security patches.
    Last edited by thale; 01-17-2006 at 01:15 PM.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    personally I hate norton, I like kaspersky myself. but I'm not a guru with computers or anything so....

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    personally I hate norton, I like kaspersky myself. but I'm not a guru with computers or anything so....
    Kaspersky isn't bad. I installed it a few times and liked it. But I am not a computer guru either. Food guru... well that isn't true either because my diet isn't the best.

Gaul is offline New Member
    Norton Internet Security is the best. It is a personal firewall and an anti-virus program. Whenever another computer tries to hack you it is blocked, whenever a program on your computer tries to connect to the internet it is blocked, and it asks you whether you want to allow it. It can also track blocked computers by their IP address to their location anywhere around the world. Once Norton blocked LucasArts from Denver, bloody amazing!! It ensures maximum protection.
    2005 version automaticaly installed with my system gets me crazy, it gets slower a lot my system and it's always scanning like a mad.
    anyone knows a special software which could uninstall it? It doesnt appear in Add or Removes programs.

all options in one isn't a good option, I'll take back my Kaspersky

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul
    anyone knows a special software which could uninstall it? It doesnt appear in Add or Removes programs.
    Go into the actual directory it is installed in and use the uninstall application there if it exists. Another option is to use the standard windows uninstall application with the correct paramaters using the .isu file. Find the .isu file in the directory for the application then go to "Start | Run" and type in the following:

IsUnist.exe -f"C:\Program Files\Company Name\Deisl1.isu"

NOTE: where you see C:\Program Files\Company Name\Deisl1.isu above you will replace that with the full path to your .isu file. The file name Deisl1.isu will probably be the name of the .isu file but its possible it is named something different like Uninst.isu or other.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by mg316
    norton anti virus is a good program
    I like NAV........ We use the corporate version on our network and it catches everything that is released. Also, a company like Symantec is paying developers big $$$ to write code to catch and clean these viruses........ so i would pay some money to have that protection...... JMO

Disagree with those that like Norton. I work in the IT department and having too many company wide outbreaks we have done away with Norton as it was not catching some of the viruses dispite the virus database being updated, and was causing boot up problems with the Non NT Kernal workstations. If you want a firewall then use a dedicated app for that or a hardware firewall, antivirus software for that, malware removal, etc. An all in one solution from every product I have tried, and I think its pretty much everything on the market will be lacking in certain areas. What is the best depends mostly on the OS you are currently running. Also are you looking for just anti-virus and spyware removal or are you looking for a firewall? If you are getting spyware on your computer then you need to look into a better firewall unless you are installing a lot of junk that you know could potentially contain it.
    Like I just posted NAV catches pretty much everything and if it doesn't they are working on it. The company I work for has well over 100,000 Windows nodes running......... so with some of the major viruses that were released last year we had minimal downtime.

The only thing I hate about NAV is it's a big process hog,

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Like I just posted NAV catches pretty much everything and if it doesn't they are working on it. The company I work for has well over 100,000 Windows nodes running......... so with some of the major viruses that were released last year we had minimal downtime.

...I'm getting ready to upgrade to Norton Internet Security '06...I've always used Norton for my firewall/AV software and it does tend to slow stuff down, but it has never failed me yet...

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Yeah the company I work for has well over 100,000 windows workstation running as well and since it is such a process hog it is not used. There are other anti-virus programs out there that do a better job in my opinion on the workstation level, and standalong firewall (if you use software instead of hardware based).

The company I work for has offices in over 90 cities in the United States, plus some in Canada and Europe so we deal with a very large scale as well...
    that being said even though I personally don't like it on the workstation level and was involved in the corporate decision to stop the use of NAV there, there are people that obviously like it or it wouldn't be on the market today.

Since this thread has been geared toward the workstation level I feel it is worth mentioning as a side note that NAV is much better on the server level. But to give NAV credit, they do offer a good product on the server platform when used as an anti-virus only solution.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I use the free AVG for virus software.
    I use MS spyware beta for running spyware software.
    I have ad-aware, spybot, and spyware blaster for scans and immunization.
    I use windows firewall.
    I have a wireless router with all the security active... not broadcasting channel, changed name of router, password for encryption, etc.

Is there anything else I could be doing for a home system?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    I use the free AVG for virus software.
    I use MS spyware beta for running spyware software.
    I have ad-aware, spybot, and spyware blaster for scans and immunization.
    I use windows firewall.
    I have a wireless router with all the security active... not broadcasting channel, changed name of router, password for encryption, etc.

Is there anything else I could be doing for a home system?
    If you're still using IE to browse you can down load and install FireFox.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're still using IE to browse you can down load and install FireFox.

I just looked up firefox browser and the thunderbird email client. Looks pretty nice and both free. Good call.

Thread Information