Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Computer random restarts...?

Is there a new virus on the scene effecting Windows and causing it to randomly restart? My error log says it is an operating system error causing this... pissin' me off...

I might have to try and take my overclock off - but it has been stable for several months and initially passed all my torture tests...

MoneyAddyct is offline Member
    I'm really not sure but try the message board at www.tweakxp.com . They've been able to answer any computer question I've ever had and some were quite complicated and involved part replacement.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    its just a worm...seems strange though if your virus protection is up to date it should be protected against it...what program do you use?...

W32/IRCbot.worm is the name...

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    its probably your power supply

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    Do you know if the CPU is running hot? I'd bump the clock speed back down to default and see if it is still rebooting. I've seen that same problem (random reboots) on OC'd machines that get too hot. You need to have good clean power when you OC. And good ram is a must!
    Last edited by CarbonCopy; 01-30-2006 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    W32/IRCbot.worm is the name...
    Thanks a million dude! I have my Asus board set to speak during POST and I could sware it said there was a worm detected last night dusring the O/S boot - right after POST!

I think it is protecting itself from being deleted too... I can't restore the O/S to an earlier date and when I run Norton AntiVirus is restsrts itself... it's like everytime my system detects it - it restarts... how do I kill this frickin' worm???

Is there a deffinition to download and put on a floppy when I reboot from the Norton Antivirus CD?

BTW - PC Probe says the CPU temp is good and I have the OCZ Platinum Ram with the heat spreaders on it. And the Power Supply is an Enermax 535 watt only 6 months old...

If I have to reinstall Windows again - dual boot with Linux is going to go on this time and that will be the only way to use the Internet... Windows will be strictly for work sh!t...

What are the specs on that bad boy?

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCopy
    What are the specs on that bad boy?
    My Rig

I updated Norton and then ran the virus scan in Safe Mode and nothing found. I went to the semantic Web site and got the most recent deffinition pack and manually updated it, scanned in Safe Mode - and again, nothing found. Important here is that I was able to do a full system scan without any restarts (in Safe Mode) finally. But perhaps Norton really does suck - especially at finding worms.

Before I turned in for the night - last night, I download a trial of ZoneAlarm, rebooted into Safe Mode, tried to do a full system scan with it... and it restarted during the scan - in Safe Mode! Agh...

[Ordering SuSE Linux]

NewKid - I check the registery keys and couldn't find the entry's that would coresspond with the W32/IRCbot worm... but the list of affected executibles looks about right... mine (as if I am now a pround owner of a virus) is effecting Firefox too... didn't see that in the list...

That is a NICE machine! I really like that case bro! Did you try backing the clock speed down? Again, it really doesn't sound like you have a virus, but you might try these sites:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Good luck bro!

CC

Btw, I wonder if it could be a driver problem that isn't getting along with XP? Have you installed new hardware/drivers lately?

It won't let me do system restore to an earlier date... the restore fails with every date I choose. And I tried uninstalling the last Microsoft update from a few weeks ago - but no help. And I can't think of any other drivers I have messed with... I could try upgrading the NForce4 driver - but I am afraid it will restart right in the middle of something like that...

I tried trend micro housecall - but it restarted soon after beginning the scan...

I haven't tried McAfee - I'll try and download a trial tonight and see if it finds it...

I think this may have come from using Limewire...

Primetime_Pfeiff is offline New Member
    yea norton is horrible, i have mcafee and it hasent given me any problems....

are you using a paid version of limewire..?

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime_Pfeiff
    yea norton is horrible, i have mcafee and it hasent given me any problems....

are you using a paid version of limewire..?
    Nope... should I? I liked it for por- - I mean music... so I would like to reinstall it sometime...

You cant go wrong with Mcaffee...just download the antivirus free trial...it will take care of the problem...

McAfee found it in SafeMode! Fuk Norton! It is a Trojan VBS/PSYME... low threat - more for annoyance... now I got to scrub it off all the profiles on the computer. Then restart the System Restore points...

The funny thing is Norton has a downloadable deffinition for this since 2004... so why didn't it find it... I am scrapping Norton and suing McAfee for now on... ya let me down Norton!

Still going to get SuSE 10.0 though!

Primetime_Pfeiff is offline New Member
    i would use the paid version. some p2p programs, such as limewire, come with alot of bundle software attached to it (spyware, ad-ware etc..) if not paid for. but there are ways around it....

My sooped up dream machine has a frickin' VD or something... apparently I still have the trojan causeing it to restart all the time - which has made finding the other infected files a pain in the ass. It's even restarting in safe mode now... even after McAfee found some of the infected files and deleted them... so apparently it's dug itself deep into the registry...

I am going to get System Commander this weekend and reinstall Windows XP and dual boot the frickin' thing with SuSE Linux this time... fuk Windows... just use Windows for work-related stuff in the future...

I miss the Mac... I hate these flippin Viruses... and no more Norton - McAfee from now on...

Anyone know if 64bit Windows is as vulnerable to the same viruses as the 32bit version? If not, I would rather dual boot with the 64bit version since I have a Athlon64 proc...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    My sooped up dream machine has a frickin' VD or something... apparently I still have the trojan causeing it to restart all the time - which has made finding the other infected files a pain in the ass. It's even restarting in safe mode now... even after McAfee found some of the infected files and deleted them... so apparently it's dug itself deep into the registry...

I am going to get System Commander this weekend and reinstall Windows XP and dual boot the frickin' thing with SuSE Linux this time... fuk Windows... just use Windows for work-related stuff in the future...

I miss the Mac... I hate these flippin Viruses... and no more Norton - McAfee from now on...

Anyone know if 64bit Windows is as vulnerable to the same viruses as the 32bit version? If not, I would rather dual boot with the 64bit version since I have a Athlon64 proc...
    WinXP 64 bit has some "stuff" out there but NOTHING like the 32bit ver. At least not yet! Any software that runs in kernel mode i.e. most mainstream viruses, won't have any effect on the 64 bit ver of XP. Btw, there are a lot of viruses for Linux based OS's as well. Maybe you should try FreeBSD, or better yet OpenBSD if you really want to be secure. But the OS you want to run mostly depends on what you want to do. I can never get away from Winblowz 100% since I still play pc games. Otherwise I'd go 100% BSD.

CC

crash187ct is offline Senior Member
    i know this is a lil old, but if you need a decent AV, then AVG is the outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by crash187ct
    i know this is a lil old, but if you need a decent AV, then AVG is the outstanding.
    McAfee pulled a trojan off... then AVG got one. Got like 3-4 different anti-v programs installed and the operating system is draggin' ass from it...

So... yesterday I reinstalled a new Windows XP Pro and guess what - it restarted after I flattened the hard disk and reinstalled Windows... apparently my overclock was also causing new issues after all this time running stable.

Sooo... I put the CPU back to it's stock settings and no problems. I am still going to try and push it a little bit but not as much as I had it before... my previous overclock passed all my stability torture tests and the AMD +3700 San Diego out benched an Intel 3.8Ghz... but I guess it was too good to last...

Thread Information