yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member

Unhappy Whats the total package in the IT field today

Ok so i am studying networking security now, i have 12 years has a computer techicien and some good basic networking knowlege.

Now i see adds they are asking for tech support, networking and sql programming?

Do i need to be a programmer has well to find myself a job?

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    No unless you are wanting to gear towards that. I am not saying it hurts to know more then the person next to you. People like to hire people who know and remember what they are doing. I myself...I am just starting a business on computer repair and technical issues. Also plan on getting into selling as well.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro View Post
    No unless you are wanting to gear towards that. I am not saying it hurts to know more then the person next to you. People like to hire people who know and remember what they are doing. I myself...I am just starting a business on computer repair and technical issues. Also plan on getting into selling as well.
    Most job offers that i get are technical support level 1 please come on over the phone.

That really pisses me off dont they read my cv first 12 years of experience?

Necrosaro is offline Senior Member
    Bastards :P I know how you feel...you are better put on a desk and let you do your magic but the odd time handle calls over the phone with people who do not know what the hell they are doing but want to call anyways because they think they can do it over the phone.

Guycamero is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    Ok so i am studying networking security now, i have 12 years has a computer techicien and some good basic networking knowlege.

Now i see adds they are asking for tech support, networking and sql programming?

Do i need to be a programmer has well to find myself a job?
    What do you mean by computer technician? What is your expertise, or is it just hardware knowledge? It would be also interesting what you mean by studying network security. Do you mean Security+ or CISSP? Security+ is a nice filler Cert, it may help you get a job, but you coulden't live off of that cert alone. CISSP is a major cert, and you could be an Auditor if you hold that alone.

Programming isn't necessary at all, unless you want to be a programer.

I would suggest that if you want to progress anymore in IT and be competitive would be college (It doesn't really seem to matter right now what degree you get, but as long as you have one) Also trying to get the right certification for what you want to do. I have one more test and I will have my CCNP, then maybe I will consider concentrating on CCIE.

You need a general foundation of how all IT works together, and then having a specilization on what you do will net you more success. My main IT functions is to maintain networks, but I also need knowledge on how to maintain servers we have. This allows me to receive more pay for my specialization, as well as filling more than one role.

Like in any job you have to progress, and IT isn't any different.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I can create stick people in Java...

gigabitbucket is offline Associate Member

old post but;

I have my A+, Network+, CCNE, Security +, MCSE ( NT and 2000) + security, and CISSP.

all dont mean anything without paying your dues.
    Need time, but CISSP is the cert to have for security.

Pay is not what it used to be in the 90's

good luck

gigabitbucket is offline Associate Member

for GOVT jobs

nice to have SSBI , SCI clearence levels ( not certs) cant get these on your own.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    I can create stick people in Java...
    That's more than I can do. LOL

But I have worked in IT for several year. It wouldn't be my choice again due to kids coming out of high school with MCSE, CCNA and???

I only have my A+ I have taken all the MSCE classes and several CCNA classes even though I swore years ago I would NEVER touch a router since I love Servers and love hardware BUT now I only work with routers. FATE

Luckily my job is EASY and I only do a little bit of everything but I know very little. lol I also can NOT speak geek any better than a typical red neck. LOL

Fortunately it still pays well, almost 100K and I get to surf this board and the internet for 12 hrs a night. And chat with my GF and a few other girl.

Thread Information