Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!

Download throttling

Anyone know how to get around download throttling?

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    bump would also like to know

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    You need to get ssl it encrypts what your downloading so you isp sees your traffic but has no idea what it is.

At this point your already screwed tho because your on your isps watch list

2 options

research usenet

or

switch your isp...

MaNiCC is offline AR's Think Tank - Retired
    ssl?

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    They can only throttle upload speeds not download speeds.....atleast that's how it is in Canada so far. I download at 1000k+ second all the time for torrents. I just donate to a private site and get massive upload credits so I don`t have to upload.

Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    They can only throttle upload speeds not download speeds.....atleast that's how it is in Canada so far. I download at 1000k+ second all the time for torrents. I just donate to a private site and get massive upload credits so I don`t have to upload.
    what site?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    I know sometimes download programs let you manually specify which port to use, because your ISP might limit traffic on a specific/standard use port

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike View Post
    I know sometimes download programs let you manually specify which port to use, because your ISP might limit traffic on a specific/standard use port

SSL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

encrypts what your DL'ing

Usually on port 563

any links for a program or tips for ssl brian?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I don't see how this can be done since download throttling is done by the ISP itself.

shredhead is offline New Member
    stop using torrents...way to easy to find you..heh...find some groups that you log into ftp sites instead..that way you will be d/ling .zip files or .rar file and your isp will not throttle those at all

Phosphor is offline Junior Member
    If you are torrenting, there are other ways of getting your goodies that are much better. The fastest way is with a highspeed usenet connection. You can download files from binary newsgroups with the aid of ".nzb" header files. Do a search for newsgroups and many offer ssl connections. It costs money, but the dl is as fast as your connection allows on everything, no uploading, and many have over 365 days retention with more to offer than any torrent site.

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    Typically, an ISP will only throttle specific ports that are typical for bit-torrent and other peer-to-peer connections. So, one method to bypass is to use a non-standard port for torrent files such as port 21, 20 (ftp) port 8057 (Web Conferencing) 443, 444 (https or Front End Servers). ISP don't usually throttle these because it would result in poor performance for the applications that use them.

zabster151 is offline Member
    your ISP can do whatever it wants. they usally only throttle ppl who are downloading gigs on top of gigs every day all night. and certin IP's "web sites" so if anyone wants to get good sites to download from. or how to fix how many times your computer' Operating System connects to the Internet per second. i know ppl will be wondering what i am talking about. so pm if you are interested in knowing some info

alexenvalencia is offline New Member
    Download throtteling is not too difficult to do - theres a program you can download for free called THROTTLE.

The problem comes with throttling PEER TO PEER clients such as Azureus - for this you may need to employ alternative techniques

|2ogue is offline Junior Member
    Hi people. I know this is a fairly old post but thought I'd give an answer as there seems to be a little confusion on it.
    Your internet service provider can always tell how much you are downloading no matter what. SSL encryption encrypts what you are downloading. However, it will not work if you just set your port to 563. The data, be it a film or music or whatever, has to be encrypted before it is sent to you. It is the same as the connection you have with your online banking. Torrent sites do not encrypt anything, therefore your isp can see everything you download if it chooses to, no matter if it is a zip file or not. Zip files are not encrypted at all, it is just a way of packaging a file such as a film of music album. Ziping a file just compresses it a little to make it a little smaller and download in a shorter time.
    All torrenting takes place from 1 persons computer to another. There is no encryption, and it is all easily visible to your internet service provider.
    Usenet is often encrypted, but this will not get you around throttleing, as your isp can still see how much traffic is passing to and from your computer it just cannot see what it is thats passing through. (unless they hack the encryption, which in most countries would be illegal).
    My advice is check the small print with your isp to see how much you can download and when. Some will only throttle you if you download too much during peak times (such as during the day between say 7am and 9pm) when everyman and his dog are online. Therefor if you wanna download stuff, you could just start downloading after 9pm and let it run through the night. Others give you a max limit regardless of time, if this is yours then your screwed . Just check your small print and find out.
    To the guy in Canada, I believe the Canadian goverment just passed a new law which will mean all isp's in thayt country will HAVE to put a cap on peoples downloading whether they want to or not. Bad news
    Hope this helps.

"Maximus" is offline Anabolic Member
    The best way to defeat throttling is by means of changing your dynamic IP. However, something that may affect this work around from working properly the majority of time is that the majority of ISPs are now implementing the marriage principle between your IP and YOUR account number. I know a few ISPs that are not using this method as of yet because many customers have their phone, cable, and Internet service bundled together, and someway somehow just the internet service profile of your respective account resides on a server farm in direct oversight of the throlling service/sentinel.

Onother alternative is to link a computer residing remotely somewhere, school/work, etc.. Skydrive link it, and have your torrents go directly there. As you need a certain app/music/whatever, then you download to your computer.

Max
    Last edited by "Maximus"; 02-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.

chumpster is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggage_54 View Post
    Depends on the ISP and what tech they use for throttling. It's common and almost everywhere now. There's really no way around it, as the throttling boxes at the ISP are looking for signatures, and torrent split data patterns. You can buy a subscription for online VPN services. Say if you liive in the US, you buy a VPN which makes you look like your coming from Sweden. The traffic at that point is encrypted, and ISPs typically won't throttle encrypted traffic. Too risky for them as there are a billion telecommuters these days that use encrypted VPNs for work from their home offices. That would prompt class action lawsuits.

Last I heard ATT does not throttle (on landlines), but I have not verified that myself.

PitMaster is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chumpster View Post
    Depends on the ISP and what tech they use for throttling. It's common and almost everywhere now. There's really no way around it, as the throttling boxes at the ISP are looking for signatures, and torrent split data patterns. You can buy a subscription for online VPN services. Say if you liive in the US, you buy a VPN which makes you look like your coming from Sweden. The traffic at that point is encrypted, and ISPs typically won't throttle encrypted traffic. Too risky for them as there are a billion telecommuters these days that use encrypted VPNs for work from their home offices. That would prompt class action lawsuits.

Last I heard ATT does not throttle (on landlines), but I have not verified that myself.
    I use a proxy first lets me access such places as i s o h u n t . Here is the US it's been restricted, the proxy tricks it and makes it think your pc is actually from another country besides the US , I can download from there with no problems whatsoever.
    Download speeds vary depending on what u pay and what connection u have, if your router is wireless or shared etc... etc...
    If anyone needs help with the proxy to be able to access some sites like the one I mentioned, either google it or pm me.

JBlue is offline New Member
    Have you checked with your ISP? My ISP is a whole seller from a bigger ISP which throttles. They offer a service to get around it for $2-3/month. Other suggestions from this thread also helps.

Thread Information