Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Thoughts on spammers

It seems we are experiencing s3x spammers deluging us with their crap.... and every time I see their post count is very low. I was just thinking to my self there has got to be a better way. One thought I had was to slow em down by requiring a day or two between registering and allowing a first post.

I don't want to step on any newb's toes or anything,

I don't know, maybe it's a bad idea.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Wouldnt work bro, they tend to join but then not post for a number of days...

Good to hear peoples thoughts on this as they do piss me off....
    Do not ask me for a source check.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    the best thing we can do is report them immediatley so staff can take them down.. Wonder if there is a way to ban IP addresses from Nigeria?? but i am sure they would just get around it with a proxy server..

I have noticed that i get some emails from friends of mine's emails accounts with similar stuff.. like a copmputer virus that hsacked their email and emails al ltheir contacts saying they just bought some iphones or whatever from some chinese website and are recomending it.. got the emails from three different friends of mine. Anyone else see this??

savking is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    I have noticed that i get some emails from friends of mine's emails accounts with similar stuff.. like a copmputer virus that hsacked their email and emails al ltheir contacts saying they just bought some iphones or whatever from some chinese website and are recomending it.. got the emails from three different friends of mine. Anyone else see this??
    Yeah I get a few of them on occasion. I get the email and get excited about it only to become severely disappointed by its contence....

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    I'm just waiting for a spammer to hit this thread

Yeah, I'm not sure reporting to admin would help. Creates a lot of work for her, clutters up her inbox. Early on, I was guilty of that, reporting to admin, but have thought about it since, and stopped doing it. I'm starting to realize that the reality of it is this probably one of the negatives we have to put up with in order to have a board that is free and relatively open to all with interest.

Our best option may simply be to ignore. It does pissss me off though. Can't hardly make a move nowadays without someone trying to screw up a good thing.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    I wonder if they ever get any leads/sales AT ALL or r they just a slight step up from the troll population

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    i report lots of them by clicking the little triangle.....do you think the admin wants this or not?

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Yes this is the best thing to do and helps enormously, if everyone hit that small triangle when they come across spam or anyother rule violation then we have a better chance of keeping the board clean.....

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    it sucks but it happens. the bigger and more popular the board the more it will appeal to the spammers. we have tried alot of different things and the only thing that seems to work is to keep reporting them. there is only 1 person who can ban them here so as long as we report them to him its taken care of as quickly as possible. when you guys hit the report button myself, admin and a few other mods have that link emailed to us
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

see, i'm thinking that creates alot of work foradmin if everybody keeps clicking the little triangele? and then what happens, after all this work, they just come back in as a new identity. there's a reason why all the spammers seem to have fewer than ten posts, unless I'm misinformed and she IS blocking them, and that's why they do only have the small amount of posts?

Help me out here lads, I'm not too sure how all this works?

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    i report lots of them by clicking the little triangle.....do you think the admin wants this or not?
    thats what i meant by report to admin.. not actually send emails to him/her but to report it.. i am assuming more than just one person watched over this board

Blog Entries
    Although Admin is the only person able to ban these people PT can remove their posts.. Im not sure just banning them is all that effective, as you say they only use their account to post a few posts and then they log off forever or get banned...

I dont really want to go into how they work on open forum without Admins approval and besides that they may get ideas of how to beat the measures we do have in place as ineffective as they are....

What i can say is that there is alot of work going on behind the scenes and without that work being done we would be truly swamped by them....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    thats what i meant by report to admin.. not actually send emails to him/her but to report it.. i am assuming more than just one person watched over this board
    Thats why im here and trust me i report the slightest thing out of place (without being a twat)..

But this being one big happy family/community its for all of us to keep this place tidy....

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    Very annoying I agree

*Admin* is offline AR Admin
    We have all filters in place that are available... people are hired to spam the boards and we deal with it everyday... some seasons are worse than others... It could be alot worse if we had no filters in place... We do ban each IP addy as we ban each one... however they will only post a certain number of times and then they refresh their ip and register again... this is their job... so they do it over and aver again... and yes we are a popular site so of course they hit us as often as possible... however they hit all sites... just not as often maybe...

Yes hit the button I do respond to all of them that I get... and yes I do know who sends everyone of them...
    Every man has the ability to be a fool, it is what he does to recover that shows who the fool really is.
    ~Anonymous~

Those who believe that they are exclusively in the right are generally those who achieve something.
    ~Aldous Huxley~

Completely Cleanse Your Body of Steroids in Only 5 Days! - www.SteroidCleanse.com

Help Stop Steroid Abuse - Click Here!

*Admin* is offline AR Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure reporting to admin would help. Creates a lot of work for her, clutters up her inbox. Early on, I was guilty of that, reporting to admin, but have thought about it since, and stopped doing it. I'm starting to realize that the reality of it is this probably one of the negatives we have to put up with in order to have a board that is free and relatively open to all with interest.

Our best option may simply be to ignore. It does pissss me off though. Can't hardly make a move nowadays without someone trying to screw up a good thing.

PLEASE do report to admin as he checks all day for reports and it is work either way... and as I said it is worse at different times than others... and we just haft to get through it again... it has been worse in the past... it will be better...
    Every man has the ability to be a fool, it is what he does to recover that shows who the fool really is.
    ~Anonymous~

Those who believe that they are exclusively in the right are generally those who achieve something.
    ~Aldous Huxley~

Completely Cleanse Your Body of Steroids in Only 5 Days! - www.SteroidCleanse.com

Help Stop Steroid Abuse - Click Here!

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by *Admin* View Post
    PLEASE do report to admin as he checks all day for reports and it is work either way... and as I said it is worse at different times than others... and we just haft to get through it again... it has been worse in the past... it will be better...
    ahhh so your not a girl... im getting closer to finding your identity lol

Thread Information