Ochosiete is offline Female Member

So many tablets to choose from

So... My laptop hit crap mountain a lil while ago. I'm thinking of purchasing a tablet pc because I really have no use for a DISC drive due to everything being downloadable these days.
    However... My search on eBay returned thousands of tablets.. Can someone help me out with all of these gadgets?
    1. I see a Google Android tablet. So is Android the OS? If so, how capable is it of running Word, Excel, etc?
    2. I see thousands of Chinese EPads.. They're hella cheap but I'm skeptical of them because they might be knockoffs.. The font looks crazy. Also they only have a 2GB-4GB STORAGE capacity.. Yikes
    3. Can an E-reader with wireless Internet capabilities be able to run the above mentioned programs?
    4. Which tablet comes with the real Android market? Apps are highly important.

Thanks

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    ----
    Last edited by SexySweetheart; 02-11-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Printing is not that important as long as I have an App like Word and a USB drive for quick sharing...

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Toshiba thrive is the only one with a full sized usb port so far.

Acer has a mini usb port but need an adapter.

Ipad is still the leader

You can download microsoft office app on both iPad and all android tablets. They also have free office alternatives as well instead of paying for the microsoft app

Stay away from the cheap shit knock offs

you need to add wireless printer to the same network to be able to print from the tablets

Ah yes the iPad... No way I can afford that..
    I'll look I to the thrive.

DanB is offline Banned
    typing on a tablet is no fun at all, i have ipad and hardly use it because of this, mabey something for you to consider

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    my wife has a kindle and as far as i can tell you cant use excell or word on it
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Lemonada8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    i have one of those china knockoffs... its pretty nice. Chinagrabber . com is the site.

flytouch 3 superpad 3. 16gb internal storage. U gotta fart around with it though, to get it to peak performance

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonada8
    i have one of those china knockoffs... its pretty nice. Chinagrabber . com is the site.

flytouch 3 superpad 3. 16gb internal storage. U gotta fart around with it though, to get it to peak performance
    What's it customizable to? (storage)
    Android? If so, real Android Market?

Go Hard or Go Home!

Blog Entries
    yea full market, 16gb available storage (well like 15.something... )
    I flashed a new ROM on it (which was available through the support site)

pretty quick, there are new ones now that have better capabilities... but as for it being legit, it definately is and for general use its very useful. U get root access right away so there are no limits.

I dunno about the 3g stuff though, i just use wifi (when i had my android phone, i had a wifi tether so that was pretty cool... )

Mine has GPS but ive never tried it b/c i have a iphone that covers that.

but all in all... pretty sweet deal IMO

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    my wife has a kindle and as far as i can tell you cant use excell or word on it
    kindle is an e-reader only not a tablet can't use apps

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2 View Post
    Toshiba thrive is the only one with a full sized usb port so far.

Acer has a mini usb port but need an adapter.

Ipad is still the leader

You can download microsoft office app on both iPad and all android tablets. They also have free office alternatives as well instead of paying for the microsoft app

Stay away from the cheap shit knock offs

you need to add wireless printer to the same network to be able to print from the tablets
    and these are the reasons i am not getting a tablet, the wife has one and remote access to everything we need/want from home and work computers...

asus has a 17" screen with a i7 processor, 8 gig ram ss hard drive... fast reliable good times.. $750
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    and these are the reasons i am not getting a tablet, the wife has one and remote access to everything we need/want from home and work computers...

asus has a 17" screen with a i7 processor, 8 gig ram ss hard drive... fast reliable good times.. $750
    What model?

Dytum is offline Junior Member
    I would only get a ipad if i won it. I would get an asus or samsung android tablet or a BB playbook. Before that I would just get a nice 500-700$ laptop.

You guys should wait for windows 8 to come out anyway...

Id say about 6 months to a year way

It is built for tablets and is a full os/ not like android/IOS

The BB Playbook is garbage! super slow not many apps and heavy as shit

Kk570h is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2
    You guys should wait for windows 8 to come out anyway...

Id say about 6 months to a year way

It is built for tablets and is a full os/ not like android/IOS

The BB Playbook is garbage! super slow not many apps and heavy as shit
    Windows 8 , 6months to a year? I can only imagine how the iPad and mac OS are going to be by then.. The apple app store shuts down droids , the only thing I dont like about my iPad is its not really school friendly , no external means of storage (no ports) and the little stupid no flash plugin .. a few more minor issues I'm sure I can come up with and what ticks me off is its all because of $$$$$ , they're greedy ... They hold little dumb updates just to make more cash hey could have easily added those features without barely lifting a finger , just decide not to for next round ,

MAJOR25 is offline Member
    just go with the ipad........I use it in college....install word and get a keyborad for it and you are all set.....best investment I ever made......

Blog Entries
    When my laptop pooped out i bought a netbook for like 200$... Prolly the best thing ive gotten and it runs office just fine.
    Be sure to max out the ram though, that will make it fast as possible cuz ur slackin on processing power due to size.. but the battery lasts forever and works pretty well.

And if i ever need a disc drive, i can use an external drive that plugs in to the usb and use it then.

the reason i wont get a ipad is cuz it has no external connectors (usb) and no external memory so IMO thats a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by MAJOR25 View Post
    just go with the ipad........I use it in college....install word and get a keyborad for it and you are all set.....best investment I ever made......
    Me too I'd recommend it to anybody , just need to kno tablets will NEVER take out laptops or computers

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    My wife has the Samsung Galaxy, she has the whole Microsoft package on it.

Minor typing (like on here) is easy, but for larger stuff, just get the keyboard/docking station. Well worth it if you use it often.

Quote Originally Posted by D7M
    My wife has the Samsung Galaxy, she has the whole Microsoft package on it.

Minor typing (like on here) is easy, but for larger stuff, just get the keyboard/docking station. Well worth it if you use it often.
    Is that a smart phone or a tablet?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    ^Tablet

CmyZFly is offline Junior Member
    windows 8? go with a mac much easier

Techguy30 is offline Junior Member
    Hopefully windows 8 will be good for now ive been using the asus transformer with the docking station.....around 450bucks but you get tons of battery life and a android tablet that can also be a netbook. The battery life is rediculous also.....the docking station has a separate battery which is awesome. But if you are used to microsoft you will suffer the same problems as you will mac, no one wants to learn everything all over. I cant wait for windows 8 tabs

drazenm is offline New Member
    id go with android or windows (not windows mobile) apple is way too limited and kid-ish, toy-ish. Just see it very primitive for the masses etc.

Riptorn is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochosiete
    Ah yes the iPad... No way I can afford that..
    I'll look I to the thrive.
    If your interested in an iPad but don't care about getting the newest one you can go to a GameStop store and purchase a used one on the cheap. A first gen 32g iPad around here was $150.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a ipad a few weeks ago, and i LOVE IT!!!!

I use it for school, i have many books on it ( and books on a laptop, even a tablet lenovo, it really sucks to read them on it)
    I have chm files and pdf files as my books and they are very easy to read and im lovin it.

if u get a ipad, be sure to jailbreak it tho. U get free apps, and other tweaks that make it much much better!

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    for what they cost i dont understand why ppl dont just buy a small laptop????

73mustang is offline Junior Member
    Best tab on the market right now is the Nexus7, hands down the best if you don't want to be part of the iphlock. Really rustles my jimmies that the iphone5 uses a different pin set for charging and docking... So you hafta buy all new shit, IMHO that was the stupidest thing apple has done in a long while. Also the AsusTF300 is incredible! It's a little bigger at 10inches, and can be bought with or without a keyboard that has a built in battery extender (to 12 hours !) that also has a regular USB port. The TF300 uses the android jellybean iOS, and I love it. I currently have
    The iPhone4s but when I get my new one it will be a galaxyS3 or whatever is out by then. Takes way better pics, way more customizable, and the app store is great.

21yearsold is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techguy30 View Post
    Hopefully windows 8 will be good for now ive been using the asus transformer with the docking station.....around 450bucks but you get tons of battery life and a android tablet that can also be a netbook. The battery life is rediculous also.....the docking station has a separate battery which is awesome. But if you are used to microsoft you will suffer the same problems as you will mac, no one wants to learn everything all over. I cant wait for windows 8 tabs
    What this guy said. Transformer Prime with Tegra is by far the best. Beats the iPad on all acounts.

Thread Information