Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tracking IP's

Sathane is offline New Member
    Dynamic or Static doesn't matter, you can be tracked.

When you access a web server, that server's logs record the incoming http request with the IP address. You can't stop or mask this as the web server needs the information to serve the content you are requesting. The best you can do to mask your IP is to bounce through proxies, but even that isn't a guarantee as those proxies have their own logs. There is always a trail that can be followed.

It was suggested above to use a virtual machine. That's what I was going to recommend. IP address is one thing but your network adaptor's MAC address can be used to identify the system that was used. With a virtual machine you can spawn the system and use it while masking the system's true MAC. Then destroy the VM when you are done or if you think your security has been compromised. Of course, this is most effective if using a network that isn't your own, like a coffee show or something and make sure you set the VM's network adaptors to BRIDGED mode and not NAT to truly mask your system.

i use a proxy so noone can track me. i have dynamic anyway though.

fuq
    fuq is offline New Member
    first off dont use TOR its hella sniffed (dont want your logins and passwds out there (also TOR is a major NSA target atm))
    from my experience and also a VPN from a country that doesnt comply with the US gov like sweeden is the best bet. Dont trust anything routed through the US.
    also if you really want to change your mac address i use macchanger for linux but im sure windows has some kind of program or script.
    but in all reality your on AAS site big deal VPN is all you need no need to change your mac.
    Last edited by fuq; 11-10-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo

egh
    egh is offline New Member
    Hey guys new to the forum, was going to ask a couple questions in the AS - QUESTIONS & ANSWERS Forum and saw this one, something that I actually know a little about being a programmer and frequently staying updated with encryption.

tcw As for tracking ip's that's done very easily and just this page alone you have Google Analytics which tracks your ip and if you're logged in with your Google account there a huge paper trail so to speak. Any other web service being used here on steroids .com like Facebook connect, etc. all grab this type of data. The server that this site retains logs in many different places of ip addresses, and other identifiable information, etc.

I'm originally from the US but currently leaving in Mexico for me I could care less if someone is tracking my ip "for this site" but it's understandable, why leave a trail of anything anywhere right? For everyone using VPN from the US it only takes a letter from the US Government and they got all the information they needed about you from that particular account, it's that easy. However, a VPN service is probably the easiest and best way to encrypt your internet browsing but the things you should consider are things like: who's encrypting your data for you, your encryption is only as good as the encryption provider? what country is the VPN service located, example: how close are the ties to the US and how are the privacy rights/laws in that country? Also, finding a service that keeps "zero" logs, very important when dealing with a VPN service.

Here's a few links you might want to check into when you find time: (Google those words)

Rise Up Labs OpenPGP Best Practices
    NCRYPT - Mobile, Encrypted, Secure Hosted Messages (I personally use silent circle)
    NinjaStik (Haven't personally used it but heard great things about it and planning on ordering)
    Whisper Open Source Communication Encryption

I know a few of those are "off topic" in a sense but privacy at it's core.

All the best!

============================================

Ok I'm a new member here so it didn't let me submit the links so you guys will have to Google the names, sorry.
    Last edited by egh; 11-16-2013 at 03:48 PM.

CrookedBones is offline Junior Member
    If you are concerned about privacy, then you should check out Tails OS, along with some reading about TOR, which stands for The Onion Router. There has been a great deal of news about such "hidden services" as the Silk Road, and how for 2 years, an online black market has existed. It was all easily accessed through free open source software.

TOR, The Onion Router
    Tails OS, linux
    Liberte OS, linux
    GPG/PGP encryption

VPNs are OK, but they are run by strangers. How reliable are they? Cause enough problems, and you'll get caught.

That should get you started. But remember, NSA has files on everyone, regardless of what measure they take to protect themselves. Silk Road, a billion dollar black market, was shutdown by US authorities. The bottom line here, is that if you become a big enough target.......

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    It would not make take me long to find out anyones IP address. NEVER think you are safe while online. The only real way to not be tracked it to buy a used computer, go to free wifi places that dont have cameras and change your user name, password and computer often. If the government wants to track you they can. Best friend works for a large company that sells software to the CIA and others and they have people that work all day just trying to do what you are trying to do and fix those ways. If you read the news, Tor is tacked from the very download of the app, that is how they got the guys selling rec drugs online. I know a lot of sites have a IP catch when you order anything online, it might not display it but its there.

As for downloading torrents, I get maybe 3 emails from my isp a year and always act dumb and nothing happens. I download / upload daily for years. Private sites are the best.

cc5501 is offline Junior Member
    Dude, if you just want to browse and not have your home's IP tracked. You could try all this TOR stuff, but it would be easy to just drive around or go to a coffee shop or something and just use their wireless.

If you're at work, don't **** with any of this stuff. Most IT guys are don't know a lot about security, but they might see weird traffic or software installed on your systems. Then they'll figure it out or get someone involved who will. Seriously, any employer with a little resources can track what you're doing on their connection. It's easy. Just the fact that you're using TOR or something like it is cause enough to kick you to the curb.

Artemicon is offline New Member
    Yeah, I would definitely stay away from anything even remotely questionable at work its not worth losing a job over. TOR and Torrents are unsafe, Torrents more so than TOR. It can take awhile for someone to determine who you are on TOR but torrents its easy enough.

Get a VPN service that doesn't keep logs for surfing and Usenet for media and you're pretty well off.. but anything super illegal, you'll get caught eventually if somoene wants you bad enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information