baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100

Blue Screen even after AVG and Malwarebytes run clear

My sister machine has a virus... It is blue screening upon bootup...

I cannot access the partitioned HDD to run the restore...

I have removed the HDD and run AVG and malwarebytes on it multiple times using a SATA to USB kit and they both now pass 100% clear... But the machine still blue screens every time...

I can load windows in safe mode but not in normal mode

Is there any better software to run a scan on the HDD?

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    bump
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    Viruses like this can be a real pain to track down... but it's good that you can boot to safe mode. What I would do is this:

1. Start in Safe Mode with Networking support;
    2. download the Sysinternals suite (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb842062)
    3. Run autoruns.exe and delete any entries in the startup that look suspicious, and are not signed/Verified

4. at the cmd line run sfc /scannow
    5. Reboot and see if it's working... if not, go back to safe mode and try reapplying the latest service pack for that version of Windows.
    6. Also, try downloading and installing all drivers under Device Manager

That should do it, but if not I've got other suggestions;

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    If you can start in safe mode than it means something is running in normal in start up that is blocking it.

follow instructions above and post up your start up entries here

There is also a tool you can download called Windbg that will analyze what is causing the blue screen but if your not familiar your gonna have trouble with it....

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    my last laptop only lasted a year. even after resetting all factory settings and restarting all the factory spec software, it only got worse, not better. So i went out and got this one a month or so ago

Cyanide is offline New Member
    You blue screen might mean an updated driver was installed through Windows Updates and this would cause the BSOD. Running a scan in safe mode is great, but sometimes they can miss new threats that are in the wild. You can completely bypass your operating system and run Kaspersky's free virus scan from a Linux bootable disk called Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10. You will have to download the .iso file and burn it to a CD. You can get a free .iso burner program form the net googles it. Once you have it burned to disk start the box with it in the CD reader and it should boot up to it. You may have to change the boot priority to boot from CD in the BIOS though.

Honestly it isn't very hard to run this, but if you have any issues PM me and I'll help you though it. If you run this and it still is in blue screen on a normal boot then you would be better off doing a system restore to a previous version or installing an OS disk and doing a repair.

I can't post any links to the forum yet, but google the information given or PM me and I'll send you the Kaspersky link to Rescue Disk.

Thread Information