Thread: computer help

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

computer help

I'm buying a new computer and need a dual monitor set up. Do I need 2 graphic cards or will one do fine and how do you set them up so it becomes one screen etc?

Scabtree is offline Associate Member
    You will need two graphics cards; or sometimes the newer cards have 2 HDMI (or vga) ports. Once you have that, it's a breeze to set it up on Mac, or even Windows 7. It works much like plug and play, just set which monitor is which in display settings..

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Thanks

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    PC or laptop. Laptop you can use the normal screen + the output for a 2nd monitor.

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you need 2 graphics cards to set this up on a pc. I believe you should just be able to buy the vga cable that splits into two outputs and hook each one up to your two different monitors. I use my macbook and hook it straight up to a monitor = 2 screens. This is why I doubt you need two cards.

Riptorn is offline Associate Member
    If you have a desktop you need a video card with two outputs. Can pick one up cheap at newegg. Using a cable splitter will give you two displays of the same thing.

Once you get the card in (assuming windows OS) right click desktop and click properties. You should see two monitors. One will be set a primary. Check the box on the other one to extend desktop on to there. I don't know how to do it on a Mac because I like women. Lol.

Thread Information