Splifton is offline Associate Member

Gaming Computers

I used to be an avid gamer in my teens, but now it's sporadic and mostly occurs during the cold winter months and sporadic moments of insomnia. Right now I use a gaming laptop, but I have a little bit of money in my savings and was thinking of building myself a desktop or purchasing an already built rig catering towards my desires. I feel my laptop is pretty damn sufficient, but i've had many issue with it's SLI features and the compatibility of having a laptop GPU vs. desktop GPU. Anyone got suggestions?

My set up is....

-Intel i-7 6700k 4.2Ghz
    -1TB HDD
    -x2 Nvidia GTX 980M 8GB DDR5 VRAM each
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    The integrated chip I believe is just the usual Intel HD 4600
    Native resolution: 1920x1080i. I have the option of supersampling my resolution in games, but I can only get to 4x SSAA and even then during heavy graphical intense moments I drop down to the low 30's in FPS.

A lot of games don't really utilize the SLI function or they do so in a very rudimentary manner. That was my reasoning behind getting a desktop build as I can get myself a Nvidia Titan X and I can get more than 16GB of RAM that is preferably DDR4 vs. DDR3 and has speeds around the 2000's in terms of Mhz. Also, having an HDD has proven it's disadvantages when playing extremely graphic intensive games. I also use photoshop as a little side gig and it's not uncommon to hit 10+GB of RAM when working with high resolution textures e.g 4096x4096 and up.

EDIT: I see I just singled myself out as the only person here who didn't give up on gaming after 13....
    Last edited by Splifton; 10-19-2015 at 06:57 PM.

CPH40 is offline New Member
    Go with AmD and there top tier apu model processor, couple that with a compatible mid range radeon gfx card. (Dual graphics) buy a computer case that allows for additional fans to be installed. Buy additional fans. Get a small ssd drive and one tb sata hard drive. Make the ssd your primary drive, buy at least 4gb ram with heat sink.

mansmen651 is offline New Member
    That sounds like a pretty bombin setup. Is there any reason why you went with a gaming laptop over a desktop? And I recommend building your own desktop as it's cheaper and you'll know alot about your rig.

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPH40 View Post
    Go with AmD and there top tier apu model processor, couple that with a compatible mid range radeon gfx card. (Dual graphics) buy a computer case that allows for additional fans to be installed. Buy additional fans. Get a small ssd drive and one tb sata hard drive. Make the ssd your primary drive, buy at least 4gb ram with heat sink.
    Lol AMD graphics cards are a complete joke. So much afflictions with games nowadays when you consider Nvidia has it's proprietary post-processing effect(s), like PhysX or Dynamic Supersampling. AND's product response to Nvidia's standalone G-Sync monitors isn't much of a comparison. AMD is like playing video games on Ubuntu. You failed as soon as your BIOS loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by mansmen651 View Post
    That sounds like a pretty bombin setup. Is there any reason why you went with a gaming laptop over a desktop? And I recommend building your own desktop as it's cheaper and you'll know alot about your rig.

Too much uncertainty with the future capabilities and ease of application with mGPU architecture. It's like either get an GTX M970 or GTX M980 because everythig GTX M950-GTX 860M with the Maxwell 2GB DDR5 build are the exact same architectural design. The subtle difference is an increase in core clock and memory clock frequencies and they blatently sodomize you, your wallet, your girlfriend, your girlfriend's purse before they mail me the product. And they most likely aren't coming out with the next generationf of mobile GPUs.
    Last edited by Splifton; 01-19-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Caddilac0001 is offline New Member
    For laptops checkout Dell Alienware or Asus. A good GOU is the GTX 1060

ThisIsMyJamZ is offline New Member
    The new AMD CPUs are pretty amazing for the price. Especially the 1600 range. Suuuuuper tempted to finally build a new pc and replace this hunk of junk...

Thread Information