EDCG19 is offline Senior Member

Anyone work in IT?

StanTheGuy is offline New Member
    why do you ask xd. No life right?

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheGuy View Post
    why do you ask xd. No life right?
    Nope, I have a life..

Was just wondering how many people we have here in some form of an IT role. I usually talk IT/engineering stuff on another IT geared forum but figure I would ask here since I noticed the Computer/Security Discussion section on this board.

ThisIsMyJamZ is offline New Member
    Yep! I studied IT, worked in some IT / support desk roles before my current job at a PC / Tech place.

StanTheGuy is offline New Member
    In computer engineering now.

Anything specific you're working on at the moment? Didn't think I'd find man IT guys around here! I'd always *hoped* to get more into the engineering side of things but it's a bit over my head tbh. I've mainly shifted over to tech support / web design recently with a few projects i nthe works.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsMyJamZ View Post
    Anything specific you're working on at the moment?
    Not sure who you are asking, I do work on a lot of different things though and have some certs, good thing is I've been doing this for years so its all good..

Nice!

Feels like not much can bother me right now. I have been working on some interesting projects as of late and every fork in the road I expected things to fail and I thought I wasn't going to be able to solve these issues. Put my head in the grindstone, dealt with the config issues and actually ended up resolving everything so far. Honestly had no idea any of this was going to work, they were all theory ideas in my head but it turns out to work. I'm fucking stoked and feel like I'm flying on air...

Ha, that's always the best feeling! Love it. Great to hear things are going well for you!

kbunyan is offline Associate Member
    Soooo what's your question ? Yeah been in IT since 1997 and IPSec since 2002.

dwiwill is offline New Member
    Hello guys! Haven't you noticed that everyone works in front of a computer now say that they are from IT?

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes my official title is Electronic Systems Analyst, but I have guys that work for me that do most of the electronics (Radar, upper atmosphere GPS trackers, Airport electronic sensors etc ...). I am kinda an IT jack of all trades. I take care of everything from Linux servers, NAS, Windows PC's, phone system, communications equipment, security system, Active Directory, DNS, and the all-important IT security with a Nessus scanner.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    When people ask me what I do, I tell them that I'm a computer programmer.

In my current job I mostly program microcontrollers in C++, although today I was writing a GUI desktop program (using wxWidgets) to troubleshoot the microcontroller.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Project management $$$ is great remote work..

did bank data audits for 6 years.. that was fun..

I"m much better at exploiting for $$$ other people's abilities... they are happy the client is happy and to be frank that's the way to go..
    Last edited by spywizard; 11-25-2022 at 09:23 PM. Reason: old thread
    Cylon357 likes this.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    I try to never admit Ive worked in IT or drywall because someone always has a computer that needs fixed or drywall work they want done. When I say I do Satellite communications they always ask about their cable. Sorry but I mean Real satellites.

Oh yeah and nice bumping a 5 year old post.....
    Cylon357 and wellshii like this.

s1nc1ty is offline Member
    This september im gonna start learning it. Im 31 years old and got no idea how it works but i will give my best. Will have to see if i can master it or am i too old and stupid. There is schools teaching it here. Not university but like profession school, 2 or 3 days a week and 2 years and you get all the practical skills to start working

Noah526 is offline New Member
    Well, I run game ads for different countries. Now I study programming languages, well my life is connected to IT.

Quote Originally Posted by s1nc1ty View Post
    This september im gonna start learning it. Im 31 years old and got no idea how it works but i will give my best. Will have to see if i can master it or am i too old and stupid. There is schools teaching it here. Not university but like profession school, 2 or 3 days a week and 2 years and you get all the practical skills to start working
    You are never to old to start and learn. I was 45 when I first got started in IT. Started with Hardware, transitioned to Customer support, Data Center Admin, network engineer & Satellite communications eventually.

The main thing I have learned is the more you learn the more you realize there is to learn.

If you haven't done it I recommend the 1st class you take is typing/keyboard. That was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    You are never to old to start and learn. I was 45 when I first got started in IT. Started with Hardware, transitioned to Customer support, Data Center Admin, network engineer & Satellite communications eventually.

The main thing I have learned is the more you learn the more you realize there is to learn.

If you haven't done it I recommend the 1st class you take is typing/keyboard. That was one of the smartest things I ever did.
    That’s encouraging to hear. I’m 36 and making a career change to network administration, and maybe cybersecurity down the line. Already got my CompTIA A+ certification and am preparing for the CCNA. Tried front end web development for a while but hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    That’s encouraging to hear. I’m 36 and making a career change to network administration, and maybe cybersecurity down the line. Already got my CompTIA A+ certification and am preparing for the CCNA. Tried front end web development for a while but hated it.
    A+ is the easiest certificate you will ever get and it doesn't expire.

I Hate test. I did school for computer science and them all the MCSE classes but never did the test.
    I prefere hardware and worked in a MS data center with $$$$ high end servers, racking, stacking and config as well as troubleshooting.

I also did web design/html for a short time but didn't like it.

Then/now I do exactly what I said I never wanted to, working with routers. I've done all the CCNA classes but again not the test. I'm already working where I want to be so why???

I don't have any I terest in CCNP or CCIE. My brain can't handle any more. LoL

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    A+ is the easiest certificate you will ever get and it doesn't expire.

I Hate test. I did school for computer science and them all the MCSE classes but never did the test.
    I prefere hardware and worked in a MS data center with $$$$ high end servers, racking, stacking and config as well as troubleshooting.

I also did web design/html for a short time but didn't like it.

Then/now I do exactly what I said I never wanted to, working with routers. I've done all the CCNA classes but again not the test. I'm already working where I want to be so why???

I don't have any I terest in CCNP or CCIE. My brain can't handle any more. LoL
    The A+ does expire after like 3 years, but yeah, it wasn’t too bad. I need to take the CCNA cause I don’t have a CS or IT degree. Need to prove myself somehow. For you, yeah, it doesn’t make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    The A+ does expire after like 3 years, but yeah, it wasn’t too bad. I need to take the CCNA cause I don’t have a CS or IT degree. Need to prove myself somehow. For you, yeah, it doesn’t make a difference.
    When I got mine it said it didnt expire. Im probably grandfathered in but either way it doesnt matter, Im not planning on looking for something new.

I know all the MCSE, CCNA and those expire after about 3 years. That would suck taking them all the time. You spend a couple months doing nothing but preparing for the next text.

Hopefully you have a passion for it. Its a lot of work.

Thread Information