dominick0205 is offline New Member

computer security field

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a UNIX kernel programmer at a software company. VERY boring....

I've always been REALLY interested in computer security and the thought of doing almost like internet police work where you would track down hackers and other criminals via the internet.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look to get into this type of work?
    And is it even possible to start without having any previous experience in the security field??

thanks
    Dominick

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Try to look on the FBI's website.

dominick0205 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calidude
    Try to look on the FBI's website.
    yeah I had tried that. Not much info there. Even wrote them a letter since you can't email them and didn't get a response....

calidude is offline Senior Member
    sorry

JasonNew-b is offline Associate Member
    In my house, with my wife and my kids...and my dog
    JMHO, but its pretty dif getting started in that field without any previous exp.
    Your best bet would be to work on getting your CISSP cert. Thats a start. Once you have that you'd be able to show that you have some skills in the sec field. Then you could try for the SSCP cert, but I hear its one brutal SOB. Once you do have the SSCP cert under your belt you shouldn't have any issues hooking up with a sec firm.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    I would check with your local police department, we have a "special" division here that deals with Internet crimes, and forwards over to the FBI in most cases. That is one place to start.

fusi0n is offline New Member
    Security is a lot of maths. And algorithms. I think you watch heaps of movies heh j/k. But serious, security jobs arent that fantastic. They get sensationalised in the movies. Just like how top lawyers arent really 28 year old good-looking ppl with a social life, or how SURGEONS arent really 25 year old bachelors who ahve time to drive their fast cars and play basketball with their mates.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Don't tell the engineers that work for me that... LOL

They do it because everyday.. they do something different..

The reality.. yea, it's different, it's hard... and it's a challenge....

thats why we bill at $200 per hour..

yea baby i love working for banks.. people with money, that pay in advance.. then hope they made the right choice.. (they always do with us...)
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    Don't tell the engineers that work for me that... LOL

They do it because everyday.. they do something different..

The reality.. yea, it's different, it's hard... and it's a challenge....

thats why we bill at $200 per hour..

yea baby i love working for banks.. people with money, that pay in advance.. then hope they made the right choice.. (they always do with us...)
    I find that people with a lot of money aren't very willing to part with it... heh..

YOu are soo right Carbon. LOL. Just because they have alot of money they don't want to get rid of it. I just did a 3 hour job for a wealthy doctor and he complained about a 300 buck bill. Guy has more money than he has sense, and he complained about my services. I should've left an open port in his router, for me to get in and deliver a trojan or something so he would have to call me so I could get some of my money back. LOL. Na I would never do that. OH wait, I am supposed to say, I don't know how to do that. LmAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian30
    YOu are soo right Carbon. LOL. Just because they have alot of money they don't want to get rid of it. I just did a 3 hour job for a wealthy doctor and he complained about a 300 buck bill. Guy has more money than he has sense, and he complained about my services. I should've left an open port in his router, for me to get in and deliver a trojan or something so he would have to call me so I could get some of my money back. LOL. Na I would never do that. OH wait, I am supposed to say, I don't know how to do that. LmAO.

You should ask the doctor if he likes it when his patients complain for paying him to give them medicine. Business is business and no one works for free. It is sad that a lot of people don't understand that.

Peace,

CC

Amen again Carbon!

Spy, what type of work do you do?

Peace,

CC
    Last edited by CarbonCopy; 04-12-2004 at 11:13 PM.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    To rahulsteroid,

If YOU plan on going into any type of computer related fiels you might want to learn to check HOW OLD A THREAD IS before replying. 6+ fvckn years old.....

Thread Information