steppenwolf is offline Associate Member

What's a good DSL Provider for $40 a month or less ?

DSL is a high speed hook up.
    The prices seem to vary among resellers. If you know a reseller with a low price, could you give me the name of the reseller or web site??
    Thanks.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    check with sbc yahoo - they might be in your area. they had a special going and still might have it. 26.95 a month with a year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    check with sbc yahoo - they might be in your area. they had a special going and still might have it. 26.95 a month with a year contract.
    I did, then the price goes up to $50 monthly. Thanks anyway. Bump for more info.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    why do you want a DSL.. cable is much faster and mostly cheaper... if you really have to get a dsl check out Earthlink thier service is pretty good..

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess
    cable is much faster and mostly cheaper...
    Ok. What is a cheap, good, cable internet service provider??
    How do I get them and the cable company to work together.
    Thanks.

LM1332 Guest
    haha you have to do a research in your area. most of the cable companies jack their prices up to $50 a month i am with SBC right now and i get fairly decent speed of about 150kb/s i need no more

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Its hard to find a choice in DSL. Youre lucky if most areas get DSL. My mom doesnt get DSL yet and she is in a WELL populated area. Weird.

LM1332 Guest
    true that before we moved i lived in a nice neighborhood ppl across the street had cable, DSL, satellite but us well you get the drift

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Cable (can be faster) if the cable company chooses to open up the pipe so to speak! Our cable company here is actually slower than DSL, just because they want to be. In a city not far from us, the cable company there has speeds up to 5mbps per sec. Ours is barely 1mbps per sec. DSL here usually averages 1.5mbps, depending on how far you are from the D Switch or D slam!
    DSL and cable both are worth the price in my opinion. The fact that you can get up to 50 times faster than dial up with using a phone line or tying up a phone line. Plus just think of how much faster you can surf AR with a cable or DSL connection?
    If you break down the price, let's say that you get a DSL company that has speeds up to 1.5mbps. Well in essence that is what is considered t1 line speed (well down anyway). A T 1 line will cost you about 400-600 bucks (well in our area at least)! So yes it is well worth the price, especially if you can get more than 1.5mbps!
    Last edited by Sicilian30; 01-13-2004 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Its hard to find a choice in DSL. Youre lucky if most areas get DSL. My mom doesnt get DSL yet and she is in a WELL populated area. Weird.
    The disadvantage to True ADSL is that you have to be an average of about 18,000 feet from the nearest DMark from the phone company. Most new neighborhoods are wired with fiber optics. Most phone companies don't want or like to run DSL over fiber, due to it is very costly for them. DSL runs over copper pair, which older neighborhoods are usually wired. Therefore that easily explains why DSL may not be availble in your area! I can't tell you how often I see this. Cable only runs over Fiber optics. There is usually no limitation on how far you need to be, however most cable companies have to install repeaters to get to some of those "outer areas". (A digital signal is cleaner but the range is not as far).
    Some cable companies, also have what we called trunks of users. They have D3's which they house usually about 500 to 1000 users trunk connection. So sometimes depending on how many other users are on, then your bandwith may fluctuate, but not by much. Sometimes if they try to put to many users on one trunk, it causes connection problems do to overloading the system so to speak. Okay I am getting into a technical discussion here.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I have cable. If I was not offered any, I would just get satalite.

In the near future, when almost everyone is on DSL or Cable, they will implement a BUY USAGE package. No more set rates.
    You will determine which package you want, such as the speed of your internet. They can determine how fast each individual modem goes and can control it.
    Its a good and bad idea.

Also. since long distance phone rates are almost obsolete due to internet speech and visual connect, most people will start dialing cross country on the internet for free.
    So phone companies find a way around this by offering another package deal which Im sure they will call the "communications package"
    Email, voice mail, fax, long distance, visual, etc for a flat fee. Each company is trying to be the first to intigrate such systems as to get locked yearly contracts signed up first.

Also. Phone companies are trying to push wireless cell phones on EVERYONE in america. Phone companies are trying to eliminate the need for telephone wires across america. Sure fiber optics will be there but most of which they are trying to put underground.
    One day, all of america will be wireless with their own credit card sized phone, palm pilot, camera, digital wallet, gps, etc. Every 4 year old will know how to use it better than you.

Yes this is very true Ber. but Fiber Optics we will still need for a long time due to their capacity and amount of data that Fiber can handle. Also to two major backbones in the US are all Fiber, so the need for Fiber Optic cable will definately not go away! I still think Fiber Optic cable came from an alien form of technology but that is just me! LOL. If you knew how Fiber Optic works, you would be totally amazed and asstounded by how it actually transmits data across it's pathways! If you really want to know, I can tell you! I think it will astound you!

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    but she still has DSL's.......ooooh !!!

Talking

LOL DSL's.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    call your cable company and ask if they provided i pay 40$ for road runner from Time Warener.. and i get 450kb/s down and 50 up

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    SBC's connection is pretty quick and never goes down

Thread Information