Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Dell 5100 Inspiron

I am looking to buy my sister a new laptop before we head to the island so she can keep in touch with family and friends..We have Dell system's at our practice and I have one at home as well..Never had a problem with them..I have looked at this Dell laptop but wanted some feedback if anyone has any experience with them..Also, if so, is there a place that you can buy them for cheaper then the Dell site..SHe was looking on Ebay and found some good deals on new ones, but if we can get one even cheaper from somewhere else, I'm game! Thanks!

Doc M

Farmer is offline Member
    Bump..I am interested as well..

Peace

Farmer

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    www.ubid.com might have them.

i would get a HP instead but if you like them than stick to them.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

grey_blue_white_red is offline Female Member
    I am posting from a Dell 8100 and all I can tell you is that Dell is the way to go. And don't cheap out on it. I bought the computer direct from Dell and also got the 3 year extended in house warrenty. It is so awesome. When ever you have a problem, you call them up and someone is at your house the next day! I even had everything replaced on my computer (I dropped it and completely F'ed it up), I called and told them it was not working, they didn't ask my how it stopped working, and there you go, I had every part replaced on my computer (some twice, I am so clumsy) and never had to put an extra cent into it. I know I sound like a salesman, but I just bought it 'cause that "Dude, you're getting a Dell guy" was hot LOL

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    My buddy has it. He loves it. He got it for around $1300 straight from Dell. Its a nice labtop. Real fast and just does everything you expect from a computer. I would recommend it. Also my brother is a IT Admin and he recommended it to me so I will be buying one soon.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    and please tell me grey blue white red is a female...

"Dell guy is hot" scared me for a second.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Dell is a good computer with a good customer service center. Some guys are assholes but in general.

The ONLY problem with DELL computers is: They arent interchangable. You need to use their start up discs. Their mother board is not compatable with anything else. You need to buy their memory chips. You basically cant go to Best Buy to upgrade.
    Trying to install different versions of windows is almost a nightmare cause the computer needs to recognize a certain serial code from the disc they give you.

But then again. They run great when they are running great.

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    bro if i was g onna go for a labtop i'd go with the new laptops from apple...there new labtops can seriouslly outperfrom alot of other labtops out there..

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilVito469
    bro if i was g onna go for a labtop i'd go with the new laptops from apple...there new labtops can seriouslly outperfrom alot of other labtops out there..

Id have to agree with that. The G4s are awesome. The only thing is, they are MACs. Wish MAC would convert or something.
    Can do anything with a G4 but probably more than your sis needs.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Thanks for the inpt..I just happened to walk into a Staples the other night while out gathering some last minute things, and there was a HP that was at a reasonable price..60 gig harddrive, 15 inch screen, CD-RW, DVD, wireless built in, 2.8 gigahertz, 512 megs of ram..and it looked cool which I know will mean more to my sister than the actual workings of the computer..I have never owned an HP so I will see what kind of luck she has with it..Thanks again!

Doc M

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Hey.

If you prefer the HP.... go for it... they have slipped a bit since they were bought in the service area ... but the components are components..

all will be fine either way you go..

Especially for what she will be using it for..

You might consider a flat panel monitor instead of the CRT..

JMO...

Good luck....
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

grey_blue_white_red is offline Female Member
    Yes I am female, thank you for your concern ...LOL

If you happen to have the Dell guy's number, you are welcome to pass it my way......
    "USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population."
    David Letterman.

SwampGator is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc M
    Thanks for the inpt..I just happened to walk into a Staples the other night while out gathering some last minute things, and there was a HP that was at a reasonable price..60 gig harddrive, 15 inch screen, CD-RW, DVD, wireless built in, 2.8 gigahertz, 512 megs of ram..and it looked cool which I know will mean more to my sister than the actual workings of the computer..I have never owned an HP so I will see what kind of luck she has with it..Thanks again!

Doc M
    Doc,

Where I work we support over 1500 Dell PC's mostly desktops however, we have about 200 laptops. The biggest problems I've seen have been batteries and motherboards, although Dell is pretty quick to ship you a new one and in your case send someone to replace it. I personally own an HP. Got a great deal on it and couldn't turn it down.

The Dell's as with any big computer manufacturer will send a restore cd, however you can install whatever os you choose, just make sure you get the drivers before hand. The crappy restore cd's will only work for you make and model.

Hope that wasn't too much info but I wasn't sure of your computer experience, i.e. fixing/building systems.

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Dell is a good computer with a good customer service center. Some guys are assholes but in general.

The ONLY problem with DELL computers is: They arent interchangable. You need to use their start up discs. Their mother board is not compatable with anything else. You need to buy their memory chips. You basically cant go to Best Buy to upgrade.
    Trying to install different versions of windows is almost a nightmare cause the computer needs to recognize a certain serial code from the disc they give you.

But then again. They run great when they are running great.
    The restore disks are only for like models, you can wipe the hd and load any OS you like, just have to make sure you have access to the correct drivers (if need be). The restore disks are basically an image of a fully loaded hd...hence using them on another pc, with different hardware would not work...this allows dell to not have to ship a copy of windows with the system..the os loads from the image. If you buy a dell, by from dell, we deal with distributors of dell pc's, and our customers have a hard time getting support due to the fact that we bought the pc's from a distributor, who bought the pc's from dell, by the time our customers get them, they have passed through 3 sets of hands.
    -Cy

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    www.PriceWatch.com This site has everything for electronics. They have the lowest prices on the web. What they do it have electronic stores, etc that post their prices on all their items and you can assort from the cheapest to the most expensive prices. Give that a shot.

Thread Information