Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Putting a Computer into Storage

As most of you know, due to a family illness, I am leaving the country in a week..I have two desktop computers in my home, both of which are less than a year old..Since I also have a few laptops, I have decided against dragging the desktops out of the country due to the headaches it can create..

My question is this- Can a computer and all of its components, hard drive, etc,, be stored for a long term period and not damage the computer or drives?? I have already secured a storage facility and the temperature can get freezing cold to extremely hot during the season changes..There are no temperature controlled storage units available in my immediate area..

Any ideas, information, and/or facts would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!!

Doc M

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    With those temperature changes, you need to watch out for is condensation. You have 2 options: find a better storage facility/someone's heated attic, or seal your computer in an airtight container.

If you plan on sealing your comp, try to do it in the presence of low humidity. Add an insulating layer of absorbant cloth and plastic. Test condensation by putting it in your fridge.

Seems like a lot of work though, why not just store it at work or at a friends?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    DocM,

Computers left in an environment in which they usually operate (low humidity, room temp etc) can be powered down and left sitting for years......sometimes even a decade or more and still operate propery. The length you are willing to go to store them is usually dependent on the value of the information on them. If you can leave them at home, the office, or at a friends do that, but consider soem security measures.

How long are you going to be gone and how sensitive is the data on the hard drive? Give us more info about the priorities in this case. Are you:
    1) most concerned about the data
    2) most concerned about the physical machine
    3) farily concerned about both

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Chica..Appreciate the input from all..I am VERY concerned about the data as I have patient information and photos stored on the hard drive..I almost always take home copies of the information for review at the end of the night..I think I have solved my problem though..My ofice has a storage area leased that is heated/cooled that I didn't even know we had..A littel ironic since I am one of a few who foots the bill for the **** thing..I went and looked at it and it has plenty of room and is very secure..I think I am going that route..Thanks for the ideas and input anyway..

Doc M

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    DocM,

Computers left in an environment in which they usually operate (low humidity, room temp etc) can be powered down and left sitting for years......sometimes even a decade or more and still operate propery. The length you are willing to go to store them is usually dependent on the value of the information on them. If you can leave them at home, the office, or at a friends do that, but consider soem security measures.

How long are you going to be gone and how sensitive is the data on the hard drive? Give us more info about the priorities in this case. Are you:
    1) most concerned about the data
    2) most concerned about the physical machine
    3) farily concerned about both

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Just to be safe...Why don't you back up all your precious and valuable files onto CD's? A 50 spindle of Cd's costs about $10-15 dollars now. That should be more then enough to store all your data.

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    environmental factors can fry a cpu. I'd keep it at a buddies house where temps are constant...just to be sure.

Thread Information