Elliot is offline Anabolic Member

Jobs that pay for school...

For all you wise wo/men here.. My friend just got a job with the DA's office and thier paying for his schooling with an agreement that when he graduates he has to work 5 years for the DA with an option of 7.. Now.. I'm not a cheap person but this kid is getting his college paid while im shelling out 10k a year for pre-med.. So my question is this.. Has anyone in the medical field had thier schooling paid by thier employer? If so what type of stipulations and agreements where presented? Also where can i possibly find a gold mine of a job like that..?

rambo is offline The Lord God
    How is that a gold mine? He has to work for the D.A for 5 years after graduation. If you indeed matriculate to medschool, you will be in one of the world's most secure job fields. You will make enough money to cover your loans, without indentured servitude.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    How is that a gold mine? He has to work for the D.A for 5 years after graduation. If you indeed matriculate to medschool, you will be in one of the world's most secure job fields. You will make enough money to cover your loans, without indentured servitude.

well i know what your saying but i reather work in-house for 3-4 years and get my education paid plus what ever salary they offer me then work somewhere else and make about the same plus having to pay of 120k worth of loans..

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I worked for the State of Florida while I was in college and they had a program that paid for half my classes as long as I maintained a "C" average. with that and Pell grants I got thru college without racking up a lot of student loan debt.
    ~R

4 x 10k a year is 40k. Not 120k. I'm assuming you aren't on the 8 year road to a B.S. And you realize medical school can cost up to 40k a year if its private?

The military will pay for medical, if I'm not mistaken, it's what DocM did. Other than that you better be a minority or a Rhodes Scholar.

4 x 40 = 120k for med
    4 x 10 = 40k for pre-med..

total cost of my education is 160k... and im neither a minority or a rhodes scholar..

OK, and primary care docs make 120k+ out of residency, and specialties make 300k+ a year. Residency pays enough, usually 40k. You're telling me that 3 yrs out of residency is not enough to pay back 160k?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Elliott I will pay for your school...if you work for me planting Tulips

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    "See...............Elliot never did things just to do them, What was Elliot going to do.. grind his feet in Eddie's couch?.......Yea, Yea...... Elliot remembers grinding his feet in Eddie's couch, 'why did you do it Elliot?', Cause Eddie could by a new couch..."

Cocaine is a helluva drug.........

You bish, STOP WHINING!!!!!1 you're going to make $5.00 an hour, and live on the subway diet for the rest of miserable college career, until you intern... Honestly, I'm not sure how the medical profession is, but every semester companies would come and 'recruit' engineering pre-grads to their companies. We call it a rotation, if you got the grades, you basicly could work, get college credit, and the companies would either pay you tuition, or you bank the money you would make - to pay for it yourself.. Go ask your around at school.. We have a school here, where you actually go 3 months to courses - then you work 3 months in your field, alternate like that.. By the time you graduate you have 3+ years experience, in your field (not sure if thats what you are looking for)

Cocaine is a helluva drug....

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    OK, and primary care docs make 120k+ out of residency, and specialties make 300k+ a year. Residency pays enough, usually 40k. You're telling me that 3 yrs out of residency is not enough to pay back 160k?
    well yaeh but i reather have it paid for before i start my carreer plus its when someone else pays for it it's FREE money.. so with that extra 120k i can buy my self a car or put a down payment on my or my paterns new house..

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Elliott I will pay for your school...if you work for me planting Tulips

are your world famous rim jobs included in the benefits package..?

Quote Originally Posted by monster.
    "See...............Elliot never did things just to do them, What was Elliot going to do.. grind his feet in Eddie's couch?.......Yea, Yea...... Elliot remembers grinding his feet in Eddie's couch, 'why did you do it Elliot?', Cause Eddie could by a new couch..."

Cocaine is a helluva drug.........

You bish, STOP WHINING!!!!!1 you're going to make $5.00 an hour, and live on the subway diet for the rest of miserable college career, until you intern... Honestly, I'm not sure how the medical profession is, but every semester companies would come and 'recruit' engineering pre-grads to their companies. We call it a rotation, if you got the grades, you basicly could work, get college credit, and the companies would either pay you tuition, or you bank the money you would make - to pay for it yourself.. Go ask your around at school.. We have a school here, where you actually go 3 months to courses - then you work 3 months in your field, alternate like that.. By the time you graduate you have 3+ years experience, in your field (not sure if thats what you are looking for)

Cocaine is a helluva drug....

MM.. chicken teriakie sub with a line... Cocaine is a helluva drug

Think this way...
    Let's say someone pays for your 40k education if you work for them for 20k a year for 5 years. You will save (and earn) a combined total of 140k. In those same 5 years, you will make 120k during residency, and then make up to 300k in the next two. Which sounds better?

HAHA... I woke up thinking that sh!t.. On a serious note, I would ask around at school, try at the hospital.. It's hit or miss, but you're just looking for something to work fulltime, and go to school.. I think it would be VERY difficult to work full time, and go through medschool.. Just save your money, and try not to take out too many loans...haha

i know what you mean but your pay always goes up as you finish your intern and res.. a person must be a complete moron to agree to a contract like that..

HAHA... I woke up thinking that sh!t.. On a serious note, I would ask around at school, try at the hospital.. It's hit or miss, but you're just looking for something to work fulltime, and go to school.. I think it would be VERY difficult to work full time, and go through medschool.. Just save your money, and try not to take out too many loans...haha

Save money... I live a flamboyant lifestyle.. I'm rick james bitch.. yeah the position isnt full time he works weekends and 3 hours on tues and thurs..

Now i see what you are talking about.. Man that is a fuking deal.. weekends and 3 hours on tuesday and thrusday!!!!!!!! What does he make, he can't make anything near the normal salary? Now i know why your interested.. I would ask around..

Now i see what you are talking about.. Man that is a fuking deal.. weekends and 3 hours on tuesday and thrusday!!!!!!!! What does he make, he can't make anything near the normal salary? Now i know why your interested.. I would ask around..

he makes 9.25 an hour.. it isnt much but he lives at home and just chills and calls me to bull**** at work.. he works approc 22 hours a week sometimes they ask him to stay longer tho..

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    he makes 9.25 an hour.. it isnt much but he lives at home and just chills and calls me to bull**** at work.. he works approc 22 hours a week sometimes they ask him to stay longer tho..
    Thats what i thought, thats not impressive money at all.. You can make that anywhere.. You're options are limited i think cause of courses - but job experience in your field is very important..

Thats what i thought, thats not impressive money at all.. You can make that anywhere.. You're options are limited i think cause of courses - but job experience in your field is very important..

exacly.. one hes gaining a wonderful recommendation, two hes making money, three they're paying for his education.. the money is ****ty but hes a collage student who lives at home.. he makes like 170 clean.. thats not THAT bad..

If you are looking for something like that, i'm not sure where you would start, or what you could do... You don't get paid for what you do now, so look around and find something that would pay you for something similar.. I would seriously try all the hospitals in your area, summer is almost here, and the positions are filling up quick for the kids that do not go to school all year.. I'm almost positive you can land something, for that kind of money bro.. Wouldn't even be a problem..

If you are looking for something like that, i'm not sure where you would start, or what you could do... You don't get paid for what you do now, so look around and find something that would pay you for something similar.. I would seriously try all the hospitals in your area, summer is almost here, and the positions are filling up quick for the kids that do not go to school all year.. I'm almost positive you can land something, for that kind of money bro.. Wouldn't even be a problem..

i do work in a hospital.. ER Receptions BIACH.. So I'm a desk jockey.. but i get access to a lot of goodies.. and i asked they don't do that where i work..

i do work in a hospital.. ER Receptions BIACH.. So I'm a desk jockey.. but i get access to a lot of goodies.. and i asked they don't do that where i work..
    The yellow pages, look under hospitals, and call every number in the book and explain your situation.. I'm sure you can land some sort of co-op deal like that..

The yellow pages, look under hospitals, and call every number in the book and explain your situation.. I'm sure you can land some sort of co-op deal like that..

yeah the problem is SUNY schools dont due co-ops and wtf hire me for 20-30 hours a week on the same deal..?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Pay for school yourself, you will be much better off in the long run assuming you make a solid effort to repay your large debt within a reasonable time span. Elliot, if you want to make the most money being an MD get used to being in debt for much of your young life. After you pay off 200k ( it will likely be closer to 200K by the time the 160k is paid in full ) then you will need more funding to open a practice or become a partner in a clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Pay for school yourself, you will be much better off in the long run assuming you make a solid effort to repay your large debt within a reasonable time span. Elliot, if you want to make the most money being an MD get used to being in debt for much of your young life. After you pay off 200k ( it will likely be closer to 200K by the time the 160k is paid in full ) then you will need more funding to open a practice or become a partner in a clinic.

chances are that if i get to go to a top med school, upon getting out of my residency im a take out loan and try to buy into a practice or purchuse an existing one.. so yaeh im a be in debt all my life

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Yes. But Elliot, you have to keep in mind the fact that you are only going into debt so that you can make more money. Debt is not a bad thing in itself, however uncontrolled, unplanned, revolving consumer debt......well that speaks volumes. Debt to finance an education or embark on a business venture is completely different....its often a necessary evil.

chances are that if i get to go to a top med school, upon getting out of my residency im a take out loan and try to buy into a practice or purchuse an existing one.. so yaeh im a be in debt all my life

Thread Information