bones93 is offline Junior Member

computer slow to start up

Is there any virus or anything that can be causing my computer to be slow on start up?....It was never like this and I have not changed any thing....When I first turn it on it has the welcome screen for like 30 to 40 seconds before I get the actual desktop.....Ran my virus program and spyware and nothing....but the other day I got a weird pop up the said something like Trojan horse in C/:systemvolume or something like that.....it was a pop up form my virus scan but has not popped up again...
    Anyone with any advice?
    Thanks

KeyMastur is offline VET
    if you know how, then just format the system and reinstall everything.

i usually save all the files i need on a CD-R or DVD +/- R disk; load windows up and then install everything from the single disk. takes about an hour or so to complete. also helps if you have high speed internet so you can download all the updates from www.windowsupdates.com

Kamel407 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up www.download.com

WebClean
    Ad Aware (be sure to run updates)
    TuneUp Utilities 2004
    Avast Home Edition

Hometown Hero is offline Associate Member
    If your running windows XP try this. Go to "start", "run", then type "msconfig" and enter. It will bring up the windows management tool. From there you will need to move over to your startup tab and proceed to remove all the useless bull**** that has found its way into your startup. I recommend using the "remove all" button, but hell u might wanna keep something on there.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Do what Hometown said... and also look in the bottom right of your screen the taskbar, by the volume thing... there's usually programs that start up there you can right click and hit settings and make it so they dont come back

Oakley is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones93
    Is there any virus or anything that can be causing my computer to be slow on start up?....It was never like this and I have not changed any thing....When I first turn it on it has the welcome screen for like 30 to 40 seconds before I get the actual desktop.....Ran my virus program and spyware and nothing....but the other day I got a weird pop up the said something like Trojan horse in C/:systemvolume or something like that.....it was a pop up form my virus scan but has not popped up again...
    Anyone with any advice?
    Thanks
    you need more memory. that is the only thing that blocks the cpu to run at normal speed. you might not have changed anything but sometimes all it takes is something to update for it to go over the edge

Thread Information