sniper320 is offline Member

Talking to much protein?

I read a post on this forum titled To much protein. the question was is 2 cans of tuna to much protein for one meal? all the replies said yes the excess protein would turn to fat. After every workout i come home and have A protein shake then a high protein meal. Is that to much? how long does my body need to digest before i can give it more protein without it turning to fat? im on a bulking cycle and all i do is eat protein.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    try to keep it below 60 grams of protein per meal. .and have your meals about 2 1/2 -3 hours apart

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    I constantly read how the body can only absorb a certain amount of protein per feeding. I've yet to see any research. I didn't begin to put on muscle until I started taking in 60 grams per feeding for 5-6 meals per day.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    There are numerous factors affecting one's ability to synthesize protein. Thus, there is no general answer regarding how much protein to eat at one meal. While the general thought is that 40g is right for most, with the maximum being 60g, you could possibly be able to handle 90g per meal.

As far as extra protein making you fat, the studies I've been reading refute this - to a point. First, you should make sure that you are eating fat with your protein as this ensures that the protein is being consumed by your muscles. Don't eat JUST protein. And also, don't eat both carbs and fat together. And of course, you want to spike your insulin levels with dextrose when you consume your protein immediately after your workout.

If you follow these guidelines, most of any excess protein you consume will simply be excreted. If you're cutting you may need to pay closer attention to your macros, but if you are bulking you should be worrying about more important things than eating too much protein.

sniper320 is offline Member
    I thought your body couldnt turn protein to fat.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper320
    I thought your body couldnt turn protein to fat.

You thought wrong

I forget the exact name of what it is called, but when there is excess protein the body can turn it into sugar in some cases.

Mike

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    There are numerous factors affecting one's ability to synthesize protein. Thus, there is no general answer regarding how much protein to eat at one meal. While the general thought is that 40g is right for most, with the maximum being 60g, you could possibly be able to handle 90g per meal.

As far as extra protein making you fat, the studies I've been reading refute this - to a point. First, you should make sure that you are eating fat with your protein as this ensures that the protein is being consumed by your muscles. Don't eat JUST protein. And also, don't eat both carbs and fat together. And of course, you want to spike your insulin levels with dextrose when you consume your protein immediately after your workout.

If you follow these guidelines, most of any excess protein you consume will simply be excreted. If you're cutting you may need to pay closer attention to your macros, but if you are bulking you should be worrying about more important things than eating too much protein.
    you basically summed it up bro! great post

NeedPaintoGain is offline Junior Member
    i remember reading an interview with Ronnie Coleman in Muscular Development in which he said he was consuming roughly 90-100g protein at every meal when he was putting on that 30 (or was it 40) something pounds of solid muscle on....I realize he may be an exception

I have also heard that too much protein cannot be broken down by your kidneys or something, causing much strain on them....Has anyone else heard this before?? if so, could you explain it more??

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedPaintoGain
    i remember reading an interview with Ronnie Coleman in Muscular Development in which he said he was consuming roughly 90-100g protein at every meal when he was putting on that 30 (or was it 40) something pounds of solid muscle on....I realize he may be an exception

I have also heard that too much protein cannot be broken down by your kidneys or something, causing much strain on them....Has anyone else heard this before?? if so, could you explain it more??
    There has yet to be a recorded case of someone hurting their otherwise healthy kidneys through too much protein consumption. The only time this should be of concern is when there is a pre-existing kidney condition.

Thread Information