Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Keto diet and diabetes

Would a keto diet possibly trigger or lower diabetes??

Im asking because my sister is very overweight and lately her blood suger leves are to high, but she hasnt seen a doc yet.

Would a keto diet be harmfull or good for her??
    Or would a regular diet be better?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Bro she should be VERY careful.Although there is good advice offered on this board I think when dealing with diabetes the advice is better coming from a Doc or a diet consultant.Changing a diet can be detrimental to their health and most people with diabetes are told to slim down sometime or another by the Doc.

JMO

Yeahh I know, I just hate to se her drink her god damn sodas and eat her god damn candy.
    I have tried to convince her to lose weight over and over and now its almost to late.

Its never to late.Explain the importance of good health to her I know its hard with family and they can be pretty pig headed about it all but have a chat with her about and encourage her to get up and do something.The first step is always the hardest.

bufchic is offline Associate Member
    I just hate to se her drink her god damn sodas and eat her god damn candy.
    Heres the problem! She needs to learn how to eat a BALANCE, HEALTHY diet and by no means does this mean cutting carbs. She needs to regulate her carbs by types and quantity.
    Putting the body into ketosis is STUPID. She can eat carbs and be "healthy" and absolutely avoid diabetes or regulate it if its too late. Get her to a good doctor. And there are plenty of books available on how to eat to regulate blood sugar. Two words, "glycemic index".

the most anoying this is that 2 year ago when she was pregnatnt she got diabetes for a while and the doc told her that she has a high risk of getting in permanatly soon.
    And still she didnt change much.

Shes only 21 and diabetes in that age must be very rare.

I talked to her yesterday on icq(she lives pretty far away) and she claimed that the doc had told her(2 years ago) that the diabetes she will get is type 1 and that there is no way to prevent it.

Is that true?? to me it just sounds like something she made upp so she dont have to change her bad food habits to much.

Sad. Im not a diabetes expert but I think diabetics often make excuses for themselves and the doctors do it too. Whaaaa. Stop being lazy.
    There may not be a way now but there could have been.

jel2190 is offline New Member
    I am a diabetic of 17 years. I am now 30. The majority of adult onset diabetes is type 2 not type 1. I have type 1 which means shots everyday. If she does have type 2 this is usually controlled with diet and pills. I am on a low carb /hi protein diet right now trying to get really lean before AS and my sugars are great. Let me tell you when your sugars are high you feel like s**t. She can't be felling good eating what you say. GOOD LUCK

Originally posted by bufchic
    Sad. Im not a diabetes expert but I think diabetics often make excuses for themselves and the doctors do it too. Whaaaa. Stop being lazy.
    There may not be a way now but there could have been.

Sorry but I disagree with you ,is that a fact that "Diabetics often make excuses for themselves and the doctors do it too,stop being lazy"

I,d like to point out that diabetes runs in my family on my mothers side and in total there is around 16 members of our family with it.Please don,t sit there and catogrize every diabetic as being lazy it simply is not true.Diabetes is a disorder that can take you from feeling OK to feeling like a pile of shite very quickly.I don,t have it but my mother does and I have grown up watching her faint or pass out because the effect has come on very quick and people did,nt really understand it back then.It is an incurable diesease that one has to watch with some caution.Maybe you should read up on it before you pass judgement.

No hard feelings

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    I think it can be different for diabetics. With potentially volatile levels of insulin release, they can be victims of their chemistry. Of course they want to lose weight and eat healthy, but their body fights them.

Bufchic, don't flame me, but a LC lifestyle might help these people. Not saying, that's what should be done, and I agree with you that a doctor's full evaluation is in order. I just know that I'm addicted to carbs and when I limit them, I'm more acute, more energetic, not as irratible, and less hungry.

Hey Billy Im not totally passing judgement and maybe I shouldve stated more of my thoughs. Or maybe you should look a little deeper into what Im saying. I am fully aware of the genetic side of diabetes. I absolutely understand that BUT I am also aware of the people out there that bring it on "themselves". There are a ton of overweight people that are perfectly fine untill their lifestyle brings on the disease. Like I stated I am no expert(by any means) but I have had some diabetes 101. I cant stand to hear about people that wont help themselves. By eating shit this woman is NOT helping herself. Lets be real.
    Last edited by bufchic; 02-09-2002 at 01:24 PM.

Bufchic, don't flame me, but a LC lifestyle might help these people. Not saying, that's what should be done, and I agree with you that a doctor's full evaluation is in order. I just know that I'm addicted to carbs and when I limit them, I'm more acute, more energetic, not as irratible, and less hungry.
    No worries. What types of carbs could possibly be making you irratible and lethargic? Your body may possibly just be one of those that does ok on less carbs. I personally just dont buy into the LC thing. I dont think its right for anyone. But if you like it and youve given the alternative a try.. cool.

I agree with you Bufchic some people do bring diabetes on for themselves but it should also be pointed out that many adult sufferers can have this condition for many years without ever knowing.Do they bring it on for themselves I don,t think so because there is a distinct lack of knowledge what the symptoms are and many do not understand what it is.that aside this women needs to take control of her diet and life because if she doesn,t she will incurr the many effects that diabetes can have upon the body like blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, stroke and nerve damage that could lead to amputations.She needs to realise that diabetes is not a mild condition it is very serious.

well put.

Glad we agree

Thread Information