Essy is offline Associate Member

How much is to much protein?

I have seeing alot of articles saying that you dont need that much protein. I think the last article I read was in this months mens health magazine. What is to much protein. I was told that to much protien turns into sugar. How much protein is to much? Right now I have about 300 grams of protein a day m-f.(Weekends harder to keep track of the protein I eat) I weigh 176lbs. I am on a cutting diet. I do 4 days of cardio for 45 minutes. I work out 5 days a week. If I cut out a protein shake and eat every 3 hours would that be any more benificial then me having that shake. I would be cutting 210 calories. Thanks

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i heard the body can only digest 30g per serving, but i dont think that is true.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Depends on YOU, weight, rate of assimilation, activity, what else you eat, any aides you are taking, etc.

~SC~

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    LOL.... how many times are we going to go over this??

Diet Help!!

<<LMO>>

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    These magazines never define what they mean when they say you don't NEED much protein. They are right in the sense that you don't NEED 300g of protein to live (meaning you'd die without it). But you don't NEED a gallon of water and you don't NEED a post workout shake. BUT, all of those things are beneficial for shaping your body into the way you want it.

Most (not always ALL) excess protein is simply excreted through your urine. I don't know the details of the rest of your diet but I would suggest that 300g per day is a little high for your size, given that you are on a cutting diet. But like I say, I'd want to see the rest of your diet.

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    If the rest of your diet is spot on and your arent losing fat at 300g Protein you will know it is too high. That would be the best way I could think of to find out how your body reacts to 50g/meal. I know personally while I was bulking I could handle 50g/meal. When I begin cutting soon I will find out whether or not my body needs 50g/meal. 300g P isn't really all that high. If you were ingesting somewhere in the neighborhood of 400+ that may be excessive, but logically you would think that you would retain more muscle while cutting incorporating 50g/meal than if you reduced to something lower.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't think 300g's is too much for someone 176 lbs. That's not even 2g per pound. I would say anything over 2g per pound is a little excessive.

eggplant is offline Member
    i'm having 300g per day..and i'm cutting..i weigh 148..so its about 2g per pound..and i'm doing fine..

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Fair enough. I made a general statement about protein amounts even after I said that general statements can't be made. My bad.

Personally, I use LBM for protein estimates, not total weight. I just made an assumption (should have said so) that he was at 15% body fat, giving him ~150 lbs of LBM. So 300g of protein would put him right at 2g per pound. This has been a little high for me personally. I'm currently at 1.5g.

Yup, 1.5 for me as well. 2g per lb. would be too much IMHO.

~SC~

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    swole, what do you think is the most you should take in liquid protein each day?

I'd say no more than 1/2 of your total protein intake.

~SC~

Thread Information