jpmacco is offline Associate Member

benefits of dextrose

I'm hearing so much about the benefits of dextrose. Can you explain why using this is better than eating complex carbs? Also, what's the difference between dextrose and plain ole sugar?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Try a search there is tons of info.

~SC~

The TooL is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmacco
    I'm hearing so much about the benefits of dextrose. Can you explain why using this is better than eating complex carbs? Also, what's the difference between dextrose and plain ole sugar?
    dextrose is a simple fast acting carb used to spike insulin after lifting. It gets absorbed quickly by ur body and is preffered as opposed to a complex carb since complex carbs take a while to absorb

TOTHEEND is offline Junior Member
    i do my cardio right after lifting thats the only way i can do it.. is it still ok to have dexetrose with my pwo shake.. or is it that i wont get the benifits because im doing cardio after lifting?

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    i think you are fine if u have dextrose after your cardio...

but do u think im still getting the muscle replinishing benifits out of it cause im lifting before the cardio

you should be doing your cardio in the am on an empty stomach anyway...

i know that but its hard because of work and all i cant make 2 trips to the gym everyday... thats what i can do though lift then cardio.

then if thats the case i dont see why it would hurt because when you do cardio if im not mistaken your body is in an catabolic state after you stop workin out period...thats when u need the carbs...

dont quote me on that though i could be wrong...

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilVito469
    i think you are fine if u have dextrose after your cardio...
    What's the purpose of having dextrose at this time? The reason for doing cardio on an empty stomach is that you easily deplete your glycogen and then your body will use bodyfat for fuel. If you take dextrose then it will give your body an easier-to-obtain source of fuel and lipolysis (burning of bodyfat for fuel) will come to a halt.

Not only that, dextrose is utilized to create a slin spike and replace muscle glycogen. Muscle glycogen after lipolysis type cardio should be barely touched, if at all, so the need to replinish it is null and void.

~SC~

so what u guys is saying is to drop the dexetrose? although i have lifted before the cardio!!! again i can only do cardio immediatelly after lifting and want to cut down from 16% bf to about 12% , and if dropping the dex will help out ill do it .. please help me out with this one swole what should i do?

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    have an apple ... enough sugar to halt catabolism but not enough to take you off lipolysis completely..worked for me at least

since im trying to cut and lifting too heavy is not so important can i do the cardio before the workout .. maybe then i can take my dexetrose pwo and save the muscles while still doing cardio and loosing fat!!

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont understand people.. if you cant get to a gym in the am.. walk outside.. walk around the block. in the par, around the lake, walk your dog, sister, brother.. It's that simple.. People seem to make it sound like such a chore.. i used do cardio and lift at seprate times with working and going to school full time.. so please dont talk about time constrains.. as swole always says your want to change must be greater then your want to stay the same.. simple as that.. sorry if you feel that i flamed you, but i didn't thats just something you might not want to hear..

Quote Originally Posted by PecDec
    have an apple ... enough sugar to halt catabolism but not enough to take you off lipolysis completely..worked for me at least
    Apples are fructose. Fructose does nothing to replace muscle glycogen, so this would be entirely pointless.

I was not aware this gentleman was doing cardio after weights. That's not ideal at all for fat loss/nor pwo recovery.

~SC~

GQSuperman is offline Banned

why not

do cardio before lifting and then take the dextrose aftwards when you get home?

Cardio before weights is even worse.......

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    What's the purpose of having dextrose at this time? The reason for doing cardio on an empty stomach is that you easily deplete your glycogen and then your body will use bodyfat for fuel. If you take dextrose then it will give your body an easier-to-obtain source of fuel and lipolysis (burning of bodyfat for fuel) will come to a halt.
    yeah but he says he does cardio after his workout...why not have it after hes all done?

Same reason.....you blunt lipolysis......

You also do more activity (cardio) after an already intense activity (weights) which puts more stress on the CNS and cuts into your recovery window.

~SC~

ahhh i got it, thanks for the tip SC...

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Try a search there is tons of info.

~SC~
    I agree with Mr. Igettokeepmysig......

Same reason.....you blunt lipolysis......
    Who are you calling a blunt lipolysis, you mouth-breather.

Who are you calling a blunt lipolysis, you mouth-breather.
    I said me and you should share a blunt, lipolysis!

~SC~

Kronic.

I said me and you should share a blunt, lipolysis!

~SC~
    Should you smoke a blunt before or after cardio?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran

Both

<<LMO>>

test is best is offline Associate Member
    during

well thanx for all the help guys its really appreciated , ill stop doing the cardio after the weights and try to find a couple of days a week were i can do only cardio. but i still have one more question for SWOLE : you said doing cardio before lifting is even worse why? if i dont wont to lift very heavy how dose this affect my fat loss programm/recovery?
    thanx again all

Personally, I wouldn't do cardio after lifting, but it's not an awful option IMO. Lifting puts your body in a state similar to a fasting state, where BG is lowered, GH is elevated due to lowered BG, and since BG is lowered to close to or even lower than that immediately upon waking, cardio forces the body to utilize reserves, since blood sugar, the most readily available source, is low. Spiking insulin with dextrose after cardio will still allow you to repelnish depeleted muscle glycogen stores, but the whole time you're doing cardio, your muscles are in a catabolic, glycogen-depleted state (from lifting). Weights then cardio back to back like that reduces the effectiveness of both, but it's not awful, especially if you're cutting anyway.

Do what you can to hit at least a couple days of AM cardio to limit the number of times per week that you're doing both back to back.

thanks einestein1905 , i think i might do that the problem is that i wont be able to do cardio more than twice a week that way but ill do my best so tweak things around, maybe ill do cardio and lifting back to back on my back day because i have a strong back anyways tha way ill have three days of cardio...
    thanx all

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET
    cant means wont bro,i had to restructure my time to get where im at now and im glad i did.i now get up at 4am and hit the eliptical for 1 hr(in my basement) i then am able to get to the gym 6 1/2 hrs later for my 1hr training session.since i have done it this way for the last 3 months i have gone from 275# at 20% bf to presently 242# and 9%bf...it made all the difference in the world......before i was training then doing cardio in the late afternoon..only to be completly drained the next day and just running my progress into the ground doing this day after day.you need to prioritize what is important to you and then make it happen

Thread Information