Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Cinnamon and slin sensitivity

Interesting study found a link to on another board. Dont realy understand everything in it so if someone could explain it more I would be gratefull.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=14633804

heres a article about it
    http://chetday.com/type2diabetes.htm

what I dont understand is, does it selectivly increase slin sensitivity in muscle tissue alone or does it increase slin sensitivity in fat cells to? Doesnt seem to state anything about that in the study, but if its good for cholesterol values then its a good thing to add either way.

Maby this belongs on the slin board more? But I post it here cause it feels like a natural place to post in.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    My friend is doing his mater's thesis on this. I'll check with.

freakysnake is offline New Member
    The cinnamon has an effect on both muscle and fat cells. There is a product in Cinnamon called MHCP. MHCP mimics insulin , in such a way that it makes insulin more potent. If you search pubmed some more you will find other test tube studies and animal studies that shows how insulin combined with MHCP has a more potent effect than it would by itself. The cinnamon along with exercise will increase insulin’s affinity to it’s receptor. Once this happen glut 4 (the 2nd messenger involved in glucose uptake of the muscle) can translocate to the surface of the cell better and this will help shuttle glucose in the muscle. With exercise you also increase the density of the fat cell receptors, which will allow you to get fat out of storage easier.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Excellent information. I'm trying to fully wrap my head around it.

Let's take the situation where one would spike their insullin level after a workout with 80g of dextrose mixed with 40g of protein. What would the effect of cinnamon be? Does it have an effect on how much protein can be absorbed by the muscles? Or would it just mean less dextrose would be needed to have the same effect?

freakysnake is offline New Member
    You bring up some great questions. I never thought about the protein but it makes perfect since it insulin is more potent. It would make since that protein synthesis would increase. I would still take in the same amount of dextrose, I don’t know if less would have the same effect but you would use less insulin in order to get back to your bodies recommend blood glucose level, which means your body of course is more efficient at using insulin. I don’t know if this helps, but I gave it a shot.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Im all for keeping the slin sensitivity at its max! Not only for bb purposes but cause its healthy. High Slin levels causes cells to age faster and that in turn makes the body age faster and I sure as hell wont allow that to happen to my body.

Thread Information