Quake is offline Member

Thumbs up RE : Sick of eating

There is a thread regarding problems with eating entitled "Sick of Eating". I was having the same problem until the other day when I turned to lookat what supps I was taking (yes, I was a little slow on the up-take there). I've been taking 4 tabs of Kelp a day as it is an excellent source for organic iodine which speeds up the thyroid function and fat burning metabolic process. I stopped them 2 days ago, and have immediately experienced an increase in the amount of food I am able to consume (it was ridiculous, I could eat breakfast, but after that I was lucky if I'd put away half a chicken breast, half a potato and a half a steak a day, and drinking my shakes was like swallowing my own vomit).

Just something to watch out for.

Quake is offline Member
    Well, I was OK for 2 days. Now, although I'm not feeling sick as I was before, I'm feeling like I don't want to eat, just in a way that food is not appealing to me, and even protein shakes are making me feel queasy in my stomach with a full feeling too. The situation has obviously improved a little to what it was, I am eating more than I could, but steak and chicken etc is still not appealing to my taste buds as it should be. I am having blood tests for liver function and electrolytes (don't know what they are, some of you probably do though, might even be the same thing as far as I know) so will post the results of these tests in this thread to hopefully give a more specific conclusion to this problem.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I'm a bit confused. You say kelp increases the thyroid function and fat burning metabolic process. However when you stopped taking kelp you had an increase in appetite. I would think you would have the increase while on kelp.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer272001
    I've been taking 4 tabs of Kelp a day as it is an excellent source for organic iodine which speeds up the thyroid function and fat burning metabolic process.
    This is only true if you have an iodine deficiency, which no one outside of third world countries has. Increasing iodine above normal levels will not have the effect described above.

Beernutz is offline Member
    **** BAdman your one knowledgeable dude!

Since you can answer everything else heres one for you "Whats the meaning of life"????lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Beernutz
    **** BAdman your one knowledgeable dude!

Since you can answer everything else heres one for you "Whats the meaning of life"????lol..
    I don't have any special knowledge that anyone else can't find with a little research. If you know what you're looking for, there is a ton of info on the web as well as your local Barnes and Nobles.

BTW, I don't know the meaning of life, but I'm always willing to listen to people that think they know.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Meaning of life to bad man, but he won't tell you:

Money, Hoes, Clothes.

~SC~

My secret's out.

Quake is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    I'm a bit confused. You say kelp increases the thyroid function and fat burning metabolic process. However when you stopped taking kelp you had an increase in appetite. I would think you would have the increase while on kelp.
    I didn't experience an increase in appetite, just an ability to eat more as I was no longer gagging on the food as my throat was no longer closing up on mouthfulls. The whole body rejecting the food seemed to be coming from something to do with the taste buds, this was just the way it seemed, don't know if this helps explain the problem biologically for anyone with more knowledge????

I can only tell you how it was.

What other supplements are you taking?

Quake is offline Member
    Glutamine, Multi vitamin, Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin C, Ginko Biloba (stimulates memory and memory problems have been reported whilst on cycle and in natural recovery time) and three different protein/protein & carb shakes (I like variety).

None of those diminish appetite to my knowledge.

Quake is offline Member
    Oh, and creatine and GABA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer272001
    GABA.
    We have a winner!!!

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    i supplement my eca with crack.. just for the extra WHAAAM in the mornings..

Quake is offline Member
    What's the problem with GABA? I used to take it all the time and it never caused me problems then. The stuff I have now is about four years old though, as I bought it when it was still legal and subsequently had to stop training, so never used it. Besides which, I've only got 2 days worth left so will not be on it as from about Wednesday.

Quake is offline Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    i supplement my eca with crack.. just for the extra WHAAAM in the mornings..
    What are you on about???????? GABA is hardly a class "A" drug

A side effect if GABA is appetite suppression. There's no "problem" with that as long as you are aware that you may not feel like eating.

Quake is offline Member
    Cheers bad man! As I say, I only have about two days of it left so I'll finish it off, and see how I feel without it. If things improve I will let you know in this thread.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    This is only true if you have an iodine deficiency, which no one outside of third world countries has. Increasing iodine above normal levels will not have the effect described above.
    I think that is only true because we use iodionized salt... blah - salt with added Iodine... for this reason. But if your diet is low in dietary salt - then the added sup may help support thyroid functioning...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    I think that is only true because we use iodionized salt... blah - salt with added Iodine... for this reason. But if your diet is low in dietary salt - then the added sup may help support thyroid functioning...
    Warrior, that's true, most of our required iodine comes from iodized salt, and very little is required to meet our optimal allowance.

Quake is offline Member
    Interesting fact I read in work today. GABA has been used as treatment for Mental Health problems particularly to combat Schizophrenia. What I read said that so far test results have been negative as far as it having a positive effect but that in theory it should work (or words to that effect). I'll update this post when I photocopy the book that I read, so I can give some actual quotes.

Quake is offline Member
    OK, borrowed two books which both mention GABA. The one I talked about says this -

"AMINO ACID NEUROTRANSMITTERS

Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) is one of the major inhibitory neurotransmitters in the brain, which are known to interact with dopamine systems particularly in the limbic system; thus a notion of an interlinked deficiency in GABA and hyperactivity of dopaminergic systems has been an attractive hypothesis. Again studies from post mortem data have not proved consistent and, overall, biochemical evidence does not support any role for GABA deficiency in the brains of people with schizophrenia. It is therefore not surprising that attempts to test a GABA agonist have proved negative as a treatment for positive symptoms (Tamminga, Crayton, & Chase, 1978).
    Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter particularly found in cortical neurones. These systems have attracted particular interest because they link systems within the cortex with projections from the midbrain including the limbic system. This is of interest since it has been argued that schizophrenia may be linked to a failure of integration of cortical function between the key functional areas of the brain including the hemispheres.
    Overall there is no agreement that glutamatergic systems are altered in the brain of schizophrenics. Since interest in glutamatergic neurones has been at the level of connectivity between cortical pathways, focus has not been upon the elucidation of simple deficits or excesses of this neurotransmitter. For example, studies have suggested that areas around the temporal lobe including the limbic system show deficits in glutamatergic activity (e.g. Deakin, Slater, Simpson et al., 1989), whereas in the prefrontal areas of the cortex there appears to be overactivity. Further work by Deakin, Slater, Simpson, and Royston (1990) suggests that these deficits in the temporal lobe arose as a result of atrophy of brain tissue lateralised to the left side."

I wrote the whole section as it is all relevant to amino acids which are obviously of great importance in what we do, i.e. BB/WL/PL/F.

The other book is a dictionary of all relating terminology with regards to psychology. Here are the relevant things to this subject.

"GLUTAMIC ACID - An amino acid regarded as essential in diets and important for normal brain function. It is converted by pyridoxine, or vitamin B6, into gamma-amino-butyric-acid (GABA). Has been studied to determine if its administration might increase brain cell function, thereby enhancing learning ability and intelligence. Results have been inconclusive. Also known as glutamine.

GLUTAMATE - A salt or ester of glutamic acid that acts as a neurotransmitter, generally an excitatory one. Common in the mammalian brain.

GLUTAMATE HYPOTHESIS (OF SCHIZOPHRENIA) - A postulate that schizophrenia is caused by deficient activity at some glutamate synapses.

GAMMA AMINOBUTYRIC ACID (GABA) - A substance present in the central nervous system of mammals and assumed to be a neurotransmitter inhibitor.

NEUROTRANSMITTER(S) - Chemicals that carry the "messages" of the nerves from one cell to another. They are secreted at the ends of the axon, the efferent or out-going fiber of the nerve cell, enter the synapse, a tiny space between the nerves, some are picked up by the receptor sites on the dendrites, the afferent or ingoing fiber or part of the next nerve cell, and if enough receptor sites are stimulated, this triggers the depolarization or "firing" of that next nerve cell in the network. There have been many different types of neurotransmitters discovered and many variants within each type. Acetylcholine, dopamine, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), norepinephrine, and serotonin are some of the better known examples."

I'm a little confused as although in both books GABA is described as an inhibitor, in one book, as you can read, it is described as actually "being" one of the neurotransmitters. Not sure of the complete roles and variations of neurotransmitters, maybe some are stimulaters as glutamate is described as being, and some are inhibitors, and they help keep a balance of some sort at a chemical level. As you can see, it's all delicate stuff, but if you know what you are doing then good luck to you. I have always experienced gains whilst taking GABA, and these quotes go to prove that it "is" important in the role of moving muscle. I know Glutamine is one of the most promoted amino acids to be taken by BB's/WL's/PL's etc, I wonder how many knew that it is GABA that they are promoting in their bodies through the use of glutamine. I didn't until now!

Thread Information