Thread: Protein Ideas

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member

Question Protein Ideas

I am a female recreational weightlifter (not training for any competitions). I need to add a lot more protein to my diet but don't know what to add because I dont like meat. I have tried doing low carb high pro to lean up (i eat mostly carbs) but my caloric intake was only around 1000 cuz i couldnt eat that much meat, so that didnt work. I'll eat some chicken and eggs and that's about it. I do take EAS simply whey pro shakes a couple times a day, but i know they are not as complete as a chicken breast. What other supplements are out there or foods that are high in pro that I might eat instead of lots of meat.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by pvgirl08
    I am a female recreational weightlifter (not training for any competitions). I need to add a lot more protein to my diet but don't know what to add because I dont like meat. I have tried doing low carb high pro to lean up (i eat mostly carbs) but my caloric intake was only around 1000 cuz i couldnt eat that much meat, so that didnt work. I'll eat some chicken and eggs and that's about it. I do take EAS simply whey pro shakes a couple times a day, but i know they are not as complete as a chicken breast. What other supplements are out there or foods that are high in pro that I might eat instead of lots of meat.

There are lots of foods with protein in them...... Chicken & Eggs as you listed. Whey protein powder, low or no fat cottage cheese, tuna, shrimp, other fish, lean ground beef..... the list goes on. If you really don't like using whey protein for meals as you don't feel full, utilize a healthy fat with them. That is what you should be doing anyway

Try having a serving of almonds or walnuts w/ your shakes or have a couple tablespoons of natural peanut butter. Both of those are rich in EFA's and have good protein ammounts in them as well.

Also, you might want to contact Jason and get your female account activated so you can have access to the female boards.

<<LMO>>

birsling is offline Member
    Lean is right on. Also try something called Udo's Choice Blend in your shakes if you don't want to use nuts or PB. Udo's is an essential oils blend that will give you your daily servings of "good" fat without much of the bad. This will help "complete" your shakes.

Fame is offline Junior Member
    egg whites and tuna ::

Also...

If you get bored with chicken just start seasoning it differently....or try BBQing it once in a while. Keep switching it up and you won't get bored with it as easily.

<<LMO>>

Wow so many responses so quickly thats cool! The pro shakes arent meal shakes they are only 120 kcal shakes. I do take omega 3 and 6 tablets to get in the "good fats" and I eat almonds. I'm allergic to peanut butter so cant eat that. I have tried chicken so many different ways but still just dont care for it that much. I can only choke this stuff down for so long. And fish is nasty. I do eat tuna here and there but ewww! What other brand pro shakes are more complete and have a better amino acid balance than the EAS simply whey. I heard there are better out there but dont know what they are. Thanks all of you. Excellent suggestions. I"ll try some. What is Udo's choice blend?

Quote Originally Posted by pvgirl08
    Wow so many responses so quickly thats cool! The pro shakes arent meal shakes they are only 120 kcal shakes. I do take omega 3 and 6 tablets to get in the "good fats" and I eat almonds. I'm allergic to peanut butter so cant eat that. I have tried chicken so many different ways but still just dont care for it that much. I can only choke this stuff down for so long. And fish is nasty. I do eat tuna here and there but ewww! What other brand pro shakes are more complete and have a better amino acid balance than the EAS simply whey. I heard there are better out there but dont know what they are. Thanks all of you. Excellent suggestions. I"ll try some. What is Udo's choice blend?

All the whey has some good protein powders..... so does Optimum Nutrition. Those are the only 2 brands I use.

Udo's oil is an EFA oil.

<<LMO>>

Thanks for the help Lean!

tonight is offline Junior Member
    Learn to like meat and fish. As a kid I used to hate steak but when I started lifting I liked it. When I was a kid I had to drink it down with milk which makes it taste aweful. Plus I hated it so much that it would get cold - and beef tastes best hot and fresh. Now I drink it down with water and eat it fresh & hot. Alot of how I came to like meat depended on how it was cooked or what the cut is. If you have a problem with steak or beef, try this. Get a rump cut and put it in a crock pot in the morning with some water and onions. Let it cook slow throughout the day (8 hrs or so). It will be so tender it will melt in your mouth and it cuts like butter.

Additionaly eat your eggs whole to get maximal benefit.

And unless you weigh like 50 lbs, 1000 calories is dangerously low for anyone = starving yourself and lowering your metabolism will stall any weight loss goals because you're body is eating muscle. Plus you'll have a hard time getting your nutrients and are unlikely to stick to such a restrictive diet. I say read the stickys on the top of the page on cutting & bulking and you'll find a wealth of information there.

Thread Information