LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran

Who uses a treadmill for morning cardio?

Hey guys.... I was just wondering

Who actually uses a plain old treadmill for morning cardio? I have been using a treadmill from the beginning and I am having the hardest time getting my legs to grow. I don't know why but they seem to be the only part that is lacking size. Do you think this could be from the impact of walking on a treadmill ED? I have considered driving to the gym to use the eliptical machine or a recumbant bike, but I don't really have the time. Could the treadmill be limiting my leg size or exhausting muscle glycogen from my legs during cardio?

<<LMO>>

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    Hey guys.... I was just wondering

Who actually uses a plain old treadmill for morning cardio? I have been using a treadmill from the beginning and I am having the hardest time getting my legs to grow. I don't know why but they seem to be the only part that is lacking size. Do you think this could be from the impact of walking on a treadmill ED? I have considered driving to the gym to use the eliptical machine or a recumbant bike, but I don't really have the time. Could the treadmill be limiting my leg size or exhausting muscle glycogen from my legs during cardio?

<<LMO>>
    Yes, that could very well be the problem. I think I remember Swole saying that's the reason he uses his recumbant bike (as well as his injury). I use the treadmill as well, although I hate it. Luckily, my legs are my best bodypart and I have no problem getting them to grow. But I still would prefer the bike.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    i always go with the tredmill. . i find that on the bike i gotta push too hard and i end up getting an unwanted pump in my legs

tonight is offline Junior Member
    I use the treadmill every morning with no problems. Most of the times I walk around 3.0 mph for 2.5 miles which takes around 48 minutes for me. I don't think it adversely affects my leg development. Everyone is probably a little diffrent, but then again I only weight-train twice a week. My squat and deadlift poundages are not compromised and I increase them every week or two. My legs are probably in the best shape than any other body part and I only do two exercises for them one on each day. On day one I deadlift first and on day two I squat first. Then I do my upper body exercises after. A lot of guys focus on their upper body too much and sort of forget about their legs or they do them last in their workouts and they don't have enough energy to devote their all to them.

I'm guessing that overtraining or not using the correct exercises may be the culprit in not gaining leg size, but this is speculation unless I can see your workout regimin including weights and rep schemes. And I don't think doing the treadmill will result in overtraining since it is very low impact.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    Yes, that could very well be the problem. I think I remember Swole saying that's the reason he uses his recumbant bike (as well as his injury). I use the treadmill as well, although I hate it. Luckily, my legs are my best bodypart and I have no problem getting them to grow. But I still would prefer the bike.
    Correct. Treadmills tear size off my legs.

~SC~

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't say that the treadmill depletes muscle glycogen and the bike doesn't. The bike is all quads and you have to push pretty hard to elevate your HR because of the smaller amount of muscle being worked. Seperate you cardio and leg days if you aren't already. Otherwise, the treadmill is not the culprit for lacking leg development.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    I wouldn't say that the treadmill depletes muscle glycogen and the bike doesn't. The bike is all quads and you have to push pretty hard to elevate your HR because of the smaller amount of muscle being worked. Seperate you cardio and leg days if you aren't already. Otherwise, the treadmill is not the culprit for lacking leg development.
    For me it is, yes. The Nordictrack bike I use I have to push VERY little as far as intensity, and my heart-rate gets well into my fat burning zone. As well, I do cardio everyday while cutting, so seperating it from legs is no option, and it does not have to be.

There is no one right answer, to each his own. I was acknowledging Bad_Man's recollection of what I said to be true.

~SC~

I'm not disagreeing/arguing. Just putting my point out there. Because I get a quad pump when i cycle with my HR in my training zone.

SwoleJebus is offline Banned
    I get quad pumps using eliptical machines for some reason. I like those. Your joints will thank you later.

If you were to choose to ride a bike for AM cardio, is there any difference between recumbent bike and the regular upright bike (besides their design, obviously) ? Never used a recumbent before so that's why I ask

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleJebus
    I get quad pumps using eliptical machines for some reason. I like those. Your joints will thank you later.
    What a fukking loser. I'm seriously thinking of finding another board because of these assholes.

I am going to try switching from the treadmill to the bike and see what happens.....I am cutting again now so separate cardio and lifting is not an option.

As for my lifting on leg days.... here is what I am currently doing:

Warmup:
    Brisk walk on treadmill on for 3-5 minutes

Exercise 1:
    Squats 6 sets 8-10 reps

Exercise 2:
    Hamstring curl 4 sets 10 reps

Exercise 3:
    Leg curl 3 sets 10 reps

Exercise 4:
    Hack squat 3 sets 8-10 reps

Exercise 5:

Calves 5 sets 10-15 reps

Anything wrong with this?

Usually I lift heavy on legs, I never go light

<<LMO>>

Get a fu*king life.... don't hijack my thread b*tch

<<LMO>>

Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    I am going to try switching from the treadmill to the bike and see what happens.....I am cutting again now so separate cardio and lifting is not an option.

As for my lifting on leg days.... here is what I am currently doing:

Warmup:
    Brisk walk on treadmill on for 3-5 minutes

Exercise 1:
    Squats 6 sets 8-10 reps

Exercise 2:
    Hamstring curl 4 sets 10 reps

Exercise 3:
    Leg curl 3 sets 10 reps

Exercise 4:
    Hack squat 3 sets 8-10 reps

Exercise 5:

Calves 5 sets 10-15 reps

Anything wrong with this?

Usually I lift heavy on legs, I never go light

<<LMO>>
    You might want to go even heavier. 4-6-8 reps instead of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    You might want to go even heavier. 4-6-8 reps instead of 10.

I'll try.... today is leg day so I'll let ya know how it went tonight

<<LMO>>

Hey, why do you do 1 quad exercise then 2 hamstrings, then back to quads?
    Just curious?

SwoleJebus is offline Banned
    Uhh...why the rude comments.....I was a lurker and came across the whole "SwoleJebus" inside joke..............I just thought it would be a funny username.......sorry if it offends anyone???

Uhh...why the rude comments.....I was a lurker and came across the whole "SwoleJebus" inside joke..............I just thought it would be a funny username.......sorry if it offends anyone???

Yea right..... get life pal

<<LMO>>

Maybe less sets with more weight on the squat. 8 sets of 8-10 reps would indicate to me that you could handle heavier. Also I never do any of those isolation movements I don't think they work you like a good ol' squat or DL. For squats and deadlifts I do a 5 minute warmup like you do - not walking too fast though - only 3 mph. Currently my squats are set up like this:

3x5 warmup sets with light weights gradually increasing poundages
    Then I follow this with 5/4/3/2/1 which means I do 5 reps with my working weight and then do 4 reps with a little more, 3 reps with even more, and so on until my maximum or near maximum single.

Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat. I've had success with 20 rep squats as well. Alternatively you can do a 5x5 scheme with a 2x5 warmup sets and 3x5 of your working weight.

I never do leg days or chest days but do two full body workouts per week 45min to 1 hr each. If you do leg days, I'd stick to squats and deadlifts only like I have shown below. You can see what I have below these will keep you plenty busy. These are the kings of putting on some serious size on your legs.

Squat 5x5 (this means 5 sets of 5 reps each) with the first two sets gradually increasing weight as a warmup & then hit your working weight for the last three sets.

Stiff legged deadlift 5x5 - this will work you hams - no need for ham curls.

Then take your squats to failure by taking off 30 lbs from your working weight, do as many as you can. Then take off another 10 lbs and do as many as you can. Then another 10 lbs, and so on until you've stripped the bar. After you've stripped the bar of weight, now do bodyweight squats as many as you can. Only rest a minute between each set. Your legs will be sore for a week. I guarantee it.

If you have anything left in you then do your stiff-legged deadlifts to failure, but I doubt you will. This is a KILLER routine. One thing you can do too is to take your squats to failure one week and then the next take your deadlifts to failure. The variations are endless but this should at least be somewhat a framework to get your legs up to size.

Unfortunately that name isn't available.

Choose again.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by tonight
    Maybe less sets with more weight on the squat. 8 sets of 8-10 reps would indicate to me that you could handle heavier. Also I never do any of those isolation movements I don't think they work you like a good ol' squat or DL. For squats and deadlifts I do a 5 minute warmup like you do - not walking too fast though - only 3 mph. Currently my squats are set up like this:

3x5 warmup sets with light weights gradually increasing poundages
    Then I follow this with 5/4/3/2/1 which means I do 5 reps with my working weight and then do 4 reps with a little more, 3 reps with even more, and so on until my maximum or near maximum single.

Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat. I've had success with 20 rep squats as well. Alternatively you can do a 5x5 scheme with a 2x5 warmup sets and 3x5 of your working weight.

I never do leg days or chest days but do two full body workouts per week 45min to 1 hr each. If you do leg days, I'd stick to squats and deadlifts only like I have shown below. You can see what I have below these will keep you plenty busy. These are the kings of putting on some serious size on your legs.

Squat 5x5 (this means 5 sets of 5 reps each) with the first two sets gradually increasing weight as a warmup & then hit your working weight for the last three sets.

Stiff legged deadlift 5x5 - this will work you hams - no need for ham curls.

Then take your squats to failure by taking off 30 lbs from your working weight, do as many as you can. Then take off another 10 lbs and do as many as you can. Then another 10 lbs, and so on until you've stripped the bar. After you've stripped the bar of weight, now do bodyweight squats as many as you can. Only rest a minute between each set. Your legs will be sore for a week. I guarantee it.

If you have anything left in you then do your stiff-legged deadlifts to failure, but I doubt you will. This is a KILLER routine. One thing you can do too is to take your squats to failure one week and then the next take your deadlifts to failure. The variations are endless but this should at least be somewhat a framework to get your legs up to size.

Thank you very much..... I will definitely try doing this. I have been thinking about throwing in dead lifts for a while now..... you just gave me more of a reason to do em

I will do this tonight and let ya know how sore I am haha

<<LMO>>

good - Would be interested to hear your progress

Demon Deacon is offline Anabolic Member
    I like to run out doors with a back pack filled with heavy things. Or up and down the beach. I just push it, and then push it some more. And when i am done pushing it i give a little more of a push. Then when i am about to collapse i give it my all and turn around and run home at twice the speed.

JT2k is offline Associate Member
    i got a railroad cross tie cut 1/4th of it off and i carry it up and down bleachers at my local highschool on my shoulders on my 60 min cardio day when im not doing hiit.... it works good... i hate the f**** treadmill i think it was one of the contributing factors to my stress fractures in my legs...

fritz2435 is offline Member
    I usually run on the track at the high school next to my house. However, if I can't make it there, I run on the treadmill. I only use the bike for warmup before lifting.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Deacon
    I like to run out doors with a back pack filled with heavy things. Or up and down the beach. I just push it, and then push it some more. And when i am done pushing it i give a little more of a push. Then when i am about to collapse i give it my all and turn around and run home at twice the speed.

no offence but arent you the same dude who takes clen and drinks beer..?

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    also mike you might want to put squats at the end of your night.. i switch up every week.. and i get a better pinguin walk when i finish of with squats..

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    also mike you might want to put squats at the end of your night.. i switch up every week.. and i get a better pinguin walk when i finish of with squats..

LOL.... I will try that next week. my legs hurt like a b*tch today..... hopefully these fockers will start growing for me. Don't get me wrong, they have grown, but not to the point I want them to. Thanks for all the advice guys.... I'll post back in a month or so in this thread and update ya on the legs.

<<LMO>>

Thread Information