IcedEarth is offline New Member

Working out in A.M. with PM cardio?

I was wondering what the best way to set up the "unoffical How to cut" diet if one could only lift in the a.m., but could get in some sessions of PM cardio in due to an odd schedule with my job.

I was thinking of having a protein shake first thing, then working out with the PWO shake and PPWO meal after, then continuing on with Protein/fat meals throughout the day.

If I fit in Cardio about 2 1/2 hrs. after my second to last Pro/Fat meal, will this still have a fairly good effect on fat loss? I remember reading somewhere that ALA can be taken to help but I'm not sure when or how much..

Thanks!

Woodrow is offline Junior Member
    That is not the optimal schedule, but it will work. I don't think the shake first thing will do much good unless it is at least an hour before your workout. Make sure and do your afternoon cardio on an empty stomach and on your off days do cardio in the a.m.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    how long is your lift that you cant fit it in later?

It's not so much how long it takes, but I only have a limited number of nights I have a chance to workout, and they're not very consistant. Also, I'm usually shot then, so I thought I'd make best use of my time and energy by focusing my efforts on lifting in the a.m., and put in cardio where I could. I'll change this as soon as I can, but for now I'm trying to make the best of it. I'll definitely do my cardio in the a.m. on off days, but trying to get the 6 days in.

Taking the shake an hour isn't likely, so I guess I'll workout on empty which I normally feel pretty good doing anyway.

if you can wake up a little earlier take some whey with flax. . .protein all by itself is gonna be worthless. .its the the fat that will give you energy

Thanks, I can make that happen.

Any ideas on Lipoic helping me before PM cardio....is it worth it?

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcedEarth
    Thanks, I can make that happen.

Any ideas on Lipoic helping me before PM cardio....is it worth it?

yes it is.. try to have a pro/fat meal and still take a tab of r-ala..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yeah, u can use ALA in your last fat/pro meal before your cardio session. (Keep glucose tabs on hand in case you get light-headed, some will) Anyhow, as long as your meal before cardio is liquid fat/pro (whey/flax for ex) and you ingest some ALA after to further help clear the blood of excess glucose, the cardio endeavor in the p.m. can still be productive. Matter of fact, this is what I'm experimenting w/right now myself, and it's going pretty darn well w/the tweaks I've done as well.

~SC~

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll be starting this today and if anyone is interested I'll keep you posted.

My R-ALA caps are only 100mg, so I'm assuming when it was mentioned to take a tab that yours came in 200 mgs? I'll try 200 to see how it goes.

I'm guessing I can find glucose tabs in the pharmacy?

Thanks again!

brian11 is offline Member
    I keep hearing "flax" and i searched for it, but never really get an explanation of what it is. I guess im just new to the game, but what the hell is flax? other than an EFA.

Flax comes in seed form, or most commonly as Flax seed Oil. Most grocery stores carry it now in the psuedo-health sections they have, in the cooler.

And Swole, I did a search today and read an article regarding your raised metabolic rate after cardio, and the difference between morning and evening sessions. While it stated that morning was most likely better for this, it also cited studies which said that weight training cause the highest prolonged elevation of the metabolism. If this is true, perhaps weight training in the a.m. while cutting and doing cardio later in the fashion mentined above could be extremely effective. Maybe just extra wishful thinking on my part

Any thoughts?

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Quote Originally Posted by IcedEarth
    Flax comes in seed form, or most commonly as Flax seed Oil. Most grocery stores carry it now in the psuedo-health sections they have, in the cooler.

And Swole, I did a search today and read an article regarding your raised metabolic rate after cardio, and the difference between morning and evening sessions. While it stated that morning was most likely better for this, it also cited studies which said that weight training cause the highest prolonged elevation of the metabolism. If this is true, perhaps weight training in the a.m. while cutting and doing cardio later in the fashion mentined above could be extremely effective. Maybe just extra wishful thinking on my part

Any thoughts?
    That's an interesting interpretation. Could you please post the studies, you've piqued my interest.

While I don't have the studies themselves, this is the link to the article. Click on the "click here to read the whole article" link. This was actually posted before by someone on here which is how I found it.

The article doesn't state directly A.M. weight training is better, but that it can help with the metabolism for up to 24 hrs. afterwards. Previous to that however, it states that sleeping actually inhibits this (regarding cardio at least). Which I why I suggested that perhaps if weight training elevates it higher, and sleeping inhibits it, would lifting in the a.m. be even better?
    I found it after I originally posted so I was just curious as well.

http://dietandbody.com/morning_exercises.html

this cant be good for strength though can it?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Hey brian11, could you change your avatar so i don't get fired while looking at the threads at work!! hehe. Sorry to hijack

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Dunno about studies and things of that nature, however I am employing my own regimen for about 3 months. I'm using it as a guide for what may be possible with my already existing programs, as well as those that are in a state of creation. I run all of my programs and get to know them inside/out. You can always make them work that way. I'll also have a few doing trial runs w/it as well for other's experiences.

~SC~

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Resistance training will raise metabolism longer than cardio due to the damage caused and the body working to repair muscle tissue. EPOC, excessive post oxygen consumption from cardio is minimal, very minimal as far as burning kcal. Plus, the better aerobically in shape you are, the less oxygen deficit at the onset of exercise, therefore, you don't have to work as hard to return to homeostasis.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Would't it be counter-productive to work out on an empty stomach?

Well I suppose some would feel as though they're not as strong in the morning, or that they would lose strength, but fortunately for me I actually feel better with workouts first thing in the morning. In fact I'm far more motivated to go lift early that I ever am to go do cardio. Of course ECA never hurts either

As far as counter productive, that I'm not sure. With PWO and PPWO nutrition right on, and the above mentioned ALA trick I'm guessing I'll be ok. I'm about to find out.

Thread Information