Thread: too much water?

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member

Question too much water?

I was just wondering can too much water be bad for you? I went from drinking about a gallon a day to around 3 1/2 gallons now. its like I'm dependant on it now. I cant get enough water anymore and every week I seem to be drinking more. I acually heard of some guy dying from drinking too much in combination of being on a low sodium diet, I cant really remember how the story went acually, but does anyone know if there are cons to drinking too much?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    I was just wondering can too much water be bad for you? I went from drinking about a gallon a day to around 3 1/2 gallons now. its like I'm dependant on it now. I cant get enough water anymore and every week I seem to be drinking more. I acually heard of some guy dying from drinking too much in combination of being on a low sodium diet, I cant really remember how the story went acually, but does anyone know if there are cons to drinking too much?

I think the guy that died pounded 3 gallons of water in a matter of minutes.....

As for certain ammounts being bad I am not entirely sure. But I drink about 2-3 gallons of water on some days and I have had no problems. Just make sure you aren't downing a gallon at a time and you'll be fine. And don't strip yourself of sodium either..... no need to worry about sodium until your dieting for a contest.

<<LMO>>

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Drinking too much water can be bad for you, but not if you spread it out through the day. If you're working out, you don't want to drink too much water, because you can basically poison yourself. Being on a low sodium diet shouldn't have any effect on your water intake either.

brian11 is offline Member
    Too much of anything is bad for you! Drinking 3 gallons a day might not matter right now or for the next 10 years but eventually your kidneys will suffer. Plus you wash out electrolytes so you need to make sure you replace them with gatorade or other means.

-B-

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    Too much of anything is bad for you! Drinking 3 gallons a day might not matter right now or for the next 10 years but eventually your kidneys will suffer. Plus you wash out electrolytes so you need to make sure you replace them with gatorade or other means.

-B-
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Good advice(s).

what are electrolytes? does dextrose replenish them?

what are electrolytes? does dextrose replenish them?

Electrolytes: These are nutrients that affect fluid balance in the body and are necessary for our nerves and muscles to function. Sodium and potassium are the two electrolytes most often added to sports drinks. Generally, electrolyte replacement is not needed during short bursts of exercise since sweat is approximately 99% water and less than 1% electrolytes. Water, in combination with a well-balanced diet, will restore normal fluid and electrolyte levels in the body. Replacing electrolytes may be beneficial during continuous activity of longer than 2 hours, especially in a hot environment.

I don't think dextrose has potassium in it, I will check. However, most whey proteins do have a decent ammount of potassium. Your best bet is to eat some green veggies. Brocolli has a good ammount of potassium.

<<LMO>>

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree that if you spread it out you should be fine as long as you dont chugg it or funnel it

thanks LMO. I think I get plenty of sodium from nuts and canned tuna and I dont do anything strenuious except working out and I dont do that for more than an hour. so I think I'll be alright

thanks LMO. I think I get plenty of sodium from nuts and canned tuna and I dont do anything strenuious except working out and I dont do that for more than an hour. so I think I'll be alright

No problem.... you should be fine. But remember unless your nuts are salted they don't have any sodium

Just make sure you season your foods etc..... most stuff has some sodium in it anyway. You'll be fine. Good luck

<<LMO>>

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Only problem I have is telling people that drinking too much water over a period of time will cause kidney damage. You can drink 5 gallons of water a day for the rest of your life and you're not going to cause damage to your kidneys. It actually helps to keep your kidneys cleaned out and healthier. The only time you want to restrict water is if you already have kidney damage or kidney failure and your kidneys aren't able to get the liquid out of your body and you become fluid over-loaded which would cause you to need dialysis.

Thread Information