Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Diabetic and losing weight

My sister is 22 and well I dont know how to put it any other way then that she is fat as a pig. around 220ibs and shes only 5'5. She got diabetes(at first she manage on metformin but now shes insulin dependant after 2 pregnancys) 3 years ago cause of her poor eathing habits and overweight.

Now she is gonna try and lose weight with my help and I have been on her ass for over 2 years about losing weight so maby she finaly has realised she is eating herself to the grave.

But cause of her beeing a diabetic Im not sure how to layout a diet for her. Would a regular low carb diet as most of us follow suite her
    What things do I have to consider when helping her?

She is also very weak minded and craves candy all the time. But Im going to live at her place for a year so maby I can make her stop eating that ****.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    You'll have to have her check w/her doc because of her condition.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    You'll have to have her check w/her doc because of her condition.

~SC~
    Thanks bro I guess that is a must.

But I dont trust docs that much when it comes to dieting realy
    But they atleast must know whats dangerous and whats not I guess.

I realy hope I can help her cause if she continues like this she wont live until she is 30 and that would be horrible. Especialy for her 2 kids

Is there any diabetic on this board that has any personal experience with cutting?

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    For a diet she'll definitely have to see a dietician or doctor. I wouldnt try to mess with her diet too much without help from a professional. So she's Type II? I would have her start doing light cardio 3 times a week starting off and increase the frequency. Obviously she's out of shape, and anymore than that may kill her. Have her start on the elliptical or something low impact (bike). Start at 15-20 mintues if that's all she can handle and work up slowely. u dont want to make her miserable because that will decrease compliance and she'll go right back to doing nothing. Cardiovascular activity increases insulin sensitivity so after doing cardio awhile she wouldnt need to inject herself as often. Also losing weight will increase the density of her insulin receptors. Some people that are type II dont need to inject at all after ex. regularly. The effects of exercise only last about 1-2 days though. She needs to do it at least every other day. If she skips 3 or 4 days then she'll go right back to needing her insulin. Also if she is insulin dep. now make sure when she's exercising she's supervised. Also have a sugary snack around in case she goes hypoglycemic on you. Never inject insulin right before exercise into the muscle being used (thigh if doing cardio). These are the recommended guidelines for Physical activity and Type II diabetes.(ACSM)
    20-45 min(greater than 45 increases risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar))
    High frequency (at least every other day)
    Low (50%) is as effective as high (75%) intensity in enhancing insulin sensitivity
    Use exercise w/large muscle groups(muscle is largest consumer of glucose)
    Strength training okay focus on muscular endurance(increases cal. expenditure)
    *Be careful if she has high blood pressure if she is strength training. If she does (many overfat people do) get a doctors note saying shes okay for exercise)
    Well that's all I know about exercise and diabetes. There are different recommendations for type I but she doesnt sound like a junvenile onset case. Any more questions go ahead and ask. Dont know if I can answer them though. Good Luck with her.

Thanks alot for the advice, apriciate it alot!!

Fortunaly she has naturaly low blood pressure same with me so must run in the family even though our dad has very high bp.

When she has stopped breast feeding her youngest kid her doc has said that they will take her of slin use and try to se if she can manage with metformin. I was also thinking r-ala, cinamon and every other natural slin sensitivity increaser would be good in combination with the metformin

Walking outside or swimming is probably what I will get her to do cause she realy cant afford a gym membership. Both her and her husband spends money on alot of **** even though they are broke in the middle of every month. Makes it also very hard for them to afford healthier foods Or atleast thats one of her excuses for not eating clean but I have showed her now its possible and afordable.

Il be sure to tell her to book a apointment with her doc and then follow with her and ask him everything I need to know.

Thanks again for the advice!

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    This site will give you some supplement suggestions which you could take with you to the doc for an opinion. It also covers all the known drug treatments for type 2. Good luck to you. Your sister is lucky to have someone so dedicated to her health. Is her husband also overweight?

http://content.nhiondemand.com/dse/c...00225&cType=hc

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
    This site will give you some supplement suggestions which you could take with you to the doc for an opinion. It also covers all the known drug treatments for type 2. Good luck to you. Your sister is lucky to have someone so dedicated to her health. Is her husband also overweight?

http://content.nhiondemand.com/dse/c...00225&cType=hc
    Thanks man, Il defenetly check it out

Yeah her husband is 6'3 and somewhere betwen 330-340. He also have mega ****ty eating habits, ice cream and candy every day. Acctualy he eats even worse then my sister. But atleast he hits the gym hard 3-4 times a week and does some kind of cardio(swimming, walking ect) 2 times a week or so.

What Im most afraid of is that they will teach their kids all the wrong things when it comes to food. Nothing is worse then growing upp as a fat kid

I know what you are going through. I have a sister in the same situation (minus the type 2 issues). She has two kids also and both she and her husband just continue getting bigger and bigger every year. Best of luck to you.

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    Crazy! We must be the only normal (or abnormal depens on how you look at it)siblings in the family. I have this working out and staying lean obsession and my sis doesnt like exercise and snacks and eats crap all day long. I even got her an exercise ball and little dumbbells for her bday to get her started. She whines all the time about being fat, but doesnt do anything about it. Drives me Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by pvgirl08
    Crazy! We must be the only normal (or abnormal depens on how you look at it)siblings in the family. I have this working out and staying lean obsession and my sis doesnt like exercise and snacks and eats crap all day long. I even got her an exercise ball and little dumbbells for her bday to get her started. She whines all the time about being fat, but doesnt do anything about it. Drives me Crazy!
    It is like SB from the gotswole board says, your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same. I bought a supply of the A-Stack for both my sister and her husband to get them started, and they refused to take them because taking the supplements three times per day was "too many pills". Like taking a few pills takes longer than opening a twinkee???? Anyway, I know she is unhappy with her condition, but until she REALLY has the desire to change, all I can do is pray that she remains as healthy as possible at her weight and support her if she wants to do something about it.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I'm diabetic and have had to deal with lots of hurdles trying to figure things out. I agree with not trusting doctors as that is not their field of expertise, however, get a dietician to give you a good guidline and you will need to work off of that. The one thing that I found is that no two people are alike when it comes to acceptable diets for diabetics. Get your new diet layed out and start to make small changes to it very slowely so you can see how it will affect her.

Also, morning cario as it is suggested for weight loss may end up being a problem for her on an empty stomach so start off slow. Because the body has gone so long without food at that point, the blood sugar is out of wack a bit and can cause problems of high or low blood sugar depending on the individual. Start with mild AM cardio on empty stomach and if she has any signs (first of which will be light headed) she will want a small meal first thing in the morning (key word SMALL) and then do cardio about an hour later.

PM me for more details if I can offer any more assistance, being through this myself I know how difficult it can be but I can give you some sample diets/meals to work with.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    I'm diabetic and have had to deal with lots of hurdles trying to figure things out. I agree with not trusting doctors as that is not their field of expertise, however, get a dietician to give you a good guidline and you will need to work off of that. The one thing that I found is that no two people are alike when it comes to acceptable diets for diabetics. Get your new diet layed out and start to make small changes to it very slowely so you can see how it will affect her.

Also, morning cario as it is suggested for weight loss may end up being a problem for her on an empty stomach so start off slow. Because the body has gone so long without food at that point, the blood sugar is out of wack a bit and can cause problems of high or low blood sugar depending on the individual. Start with mild AM cardio on empty stomach and if she has any signs (first of which will be light headed) she will want a small meal first thing in the morning (key word SMALL) and then do cardio about an hour later.

PM me for more details if I can offer any more assistance, being through this myself I know how difficult it can be but I can give you some sample diets/meals to work with.
    Thanks I apriciate your advice and Il be sure to pm you later when I get her started.
    Can you post a sample diet here so I can check it through and so all of the board can se if incase anyone else is in this situation?

Thanks again

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I will start a new thread in a bit with details on a diabetic diet. Hope it helps and let me know if I can do anything to help you and your sister out as she works through this.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

thanks alot.

Thread Information